badly produced albums that you love
Apr 17, 2009 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

radiohlite

100+ Head-Fier
i've noticed over time that some of my favorite albums/bands are annoyingly hard to listen to due to the bad sound quality. I'll actually enjoy more 'good' music that's realistically recorded than 'great' music that sounds just plain terrible, with a few exceptions.

what do you guys think?

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiohlite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you guys think?

Here! Here!
beerchug.gif

I'm looking at you punk CDs!!!!
angry_face.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 44
Flaming Lips Yoshimi...not so much bad production per se as idiosyncratic. Them and their distorted bass lines... At War with the Mystics was much worse than Yoshimi IMO.

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 44
TOOL - 10'000 days.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 44
steviebee posted 'yoshimi'. while i can understand conscious decisions in production/mixing/mastering i just don't get how some albums were just badly done, yeah, like the punk albums: hello 'Zen Arcade' and 'Damaged', among many!

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 44
Geez, half of my CD collection is not what I would call well mastered. The ones that are heartbreaking because I love the music but the mastering sucks are as follows:

Moonsorrow - All albums
Arcturus - Sham Mirrors and Sideshow Symphonies
Black Sabbath - Reunion (GREAT show, but the mixer should be shot for what (s)he did to Bill's cymbals and Tony's compressed guitar tone; took the whole mix and smashed it together. I hope they give it another mix for Blu-Ray someday)

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 44
I'm going to go with the classics in the "poorly produced but nevertheless seminal album" category:

Iggy & the Stooges Raw Power (original mix)
Marshall Crenshaw Field Day

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 44
Angel Dust - Enlighten the Darkness is the first album that immediately comes to mind.

Like some of the others, though I'd say there are a ton of them. Even an average quality rock/metal CD really isn't that good sounding, maybe only about 10% of my albums are. Most of the time it isn't a big enough problem to be bothersome, but it is sad to think that they could have sounded much better than they do.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black Holes and Revelations

I bought this and after listening for 5 minutes I sold it on ebay... really bad sound.

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marshall Crenshaw Field Day

Oooo!…nice choice. Haven't heard it in well over a decade (I still play the first one, Marshall Crenshaw, from time to time), so I couldn't honestly comment on the production.

The recent disc that caused the most sonic handwringing on my part was Oceans Apart by the Go-Betweens. It didn't sound quite right until I completely overhauled my system and figured out how to tweak it. I never stopped playing it, though.

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 44
Loads. I came from mainstream music so there's plenty of bad recording to go around.

Some I will mention,

Simple Plan
Matchbox 20
Corrinne May - Completely absolutely love her, but recording quality is not fantastic
Good Charlotte
Lots of Chinese music

Basically a lot of mainstream radio-friendly music.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back