Bad restaurant experience
Jul 22, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
dont you know that any pizza outside NYC just sucks??? lol, but its true, NYC has some amazing Pizza places even though no1 there is Italian.

Like hell! You haven't had pizza unless you've come to Chicago for pizza.

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire

Deep dish pizza is good too! But NYC pizza is the true original!

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

i only know good pizzas around my house. if you want to take Q train all the way to Kings Hwy, i'll tell you a good pizza place. i also hate buying a slice coz its never fresh. i like getting a whole pie...

Hey man, sa'll good, we could split a pie, lol

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #19 of 40
My favorite Pizza place story goes like this:
(and this has happened more than twice)
I ask the waitress how big is the medium pizza, expecting and answer like 14", 16" or some other size.

"The medium pizza has 8 slices", she says.
"Yes, but how BIG is the pizza?" I reply
"I think it's 8 slices, let me go check", says her.
She comes back shortly, "Yep, 8 slices"

By now I'm starting to loose a bit of patience and say....

"Well I'm really hungry, could you cut it in 16 pieces so I get more to eat?"

The dazed and confused look on her face is priceless.
After a few minutes it dawns on her what I've been asking all this time, and she runs back from the kitchen with a pizza pan, holds it up to me and say's "a medium is this big".

Close enough
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

dont you know that any pizza outside NYC just sucks??? lol

'scuse me?....
How about some Chicago Deep Dish?

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #20 of 40
sounds good. lets make a NYC Pizza meet! if u decide to make a little trip here for Pizza, check out Mama Meya's Pizza under the train station and Luna Pizza about 4 blocks away. large pie is $10

Jul 22, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
"Well I'm really hungry, could you cut it in 16 pieces so I get more to eat?"

LOL smartass!

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 40
There used to be about 5 good Pizza places in my 'hood.
1 place in the old bus depot at 74th Roosevelt ave train station
(lost lease due to remodeling of bus depot)

2 places on 82nd street at opposite ends.
Joey D's in front of the Jackson Triplex (owner died, left it to mexican workers who turned the pizza to crap and its now an Ecuadorean restaurant)
I waited here for hours to buy Return of the Jedi tickets. Used to be my favorite pizza place. It had a great jukebox.

The other was a sliver of a place that got turned into a cell phone store

1 is called Classic Thomas' Pizza. The owner retired, left the place to his Mexican staff and they havent changed a thing. The Pizza is soo delicious.
Just the right amount of sauce, the sauce isnt sour, the crust is crunchy and fresh and the cheese melts just right. I still go here once a week.

1 place is by Queens Blvd by Grand Avenue.
Same scenario as Thomas' Pizza. I still go there.

Last but not least is Lucia's Pizza on Roosevelt Ave by Main Street in Flushing. Old Middle Eastern guy who knows his stuff and makes delicious pizza similar to the 2 places I mentioned above. He's been there for 30 years and has all these old maps from the Queens Tribune to prove it.

The best pizza in Manhattan is Johns Pizza on Bleecker st. Yeah its the place where Peter Parker worked in the Spiderman movie. Hispanic staff but the pizza is the greatest.

You can tell a good pizza place from the orange formica booths and brick walls. Youll have a better chance of finding a good slice if you see those things.

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #23 of 40
NYC pizza favorites:
1. Totono's Pizza on Neptune Ave.
2. DiFara on Ave. J (worth visiting just to see the old guy pick the pizza up to check on how it's cooking with his bare hands, sicilian pie is awesome, too)
3. L & B (also known as the aforementioned Spumoni Gardens)
4. Frank's Pizza on Flatbush Ave.

most overrated NYC Pizza:
Grimaldi's in Downtown Brooklyn. Overpriced and not all that tasty. Avoid!

fante7,
great conversation! Always a treat to get good service
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire

Gino's East?!!!

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
2. DiFara on Ave. J (worth visiting just to see the old guy pick the pizza up to

where on Ave. J is it? i work on Ocen Prwk. and Ditmas, might check it out after work...

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #26 of 40
I heard about John's pizza and Lombardy's pizza in Manhattan as being the better ones...do they sell pizza by the slice? I can't finish a pie by myself...well I can but you know, that's kinda gross...

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #27 of 40
Johns does. Its not on the corner anymore as that space is being remodelled, but its 2 stores before its old location.

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

where on Ave. J is it? i work on Ocen Prwk. and Ditmas, might check it out after work...

Corner of J and E.15th Street. Be prepared to wait a while, he takes his time with each pie, treats it like a masterpiece
biggrin.gif

Never had his round pie, but the sicilian smokes the competition (even Spumoni, which I'm very fond of). True old-country pizza, all fresh ingredients (grows a few in his window). First time I went there, my jaw dropped when he opened the oven and touched the metal tray he was cooking the pie in with his bare hand
eek.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #29 of 40
the most i can eat is like 3 slices.... and thats MAX...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back