1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Bad restaurant experience

2 3
Next

Last
  1. fante7
    So, I'm in Akron, Ohio for the summer. This is definitely not the place to get Italian food. I went to an Italian restaurant for dinner tonight, and I asked the waitress what kind of cheese was on the white pizza. Now, I love getting white pizza in New York where it has ricotta cheese on it, and most other places don't seem to have this. This is approximately how the dialogue went:
    "What kind of cheese is on the white pizza?"
    "Pizza cheese."
    "Does it have ricotta?"
    "Yes."
    "So it has both mozzarella and ricotta?"
    "No, it has pizza cheese."
    "Okay. Does it have mozzarella?"
    "Yes."
    "Does it have ricotta?"
    "Yes. It has pizza cheese."
    "So it has two types of cheese on it, both mozzarella and ricotta?"
    "No."

You get the idea. It seemed like the wait staff didn't know the difference between the two types of cheese! She gave me confident answers and never attempted to go and ask someone in the kitchen. I think this is unacceptable for an Italian restaurant.

I ordered the white pizza anyway, and it came with mozzarella and not ricotta. Meh.

2. kramer5150
    is it so damn difficult for people now days to say... i dont know give me a minute and I'll find out?... whats with peoples integrity in todays society? people would rather lie than tell the truth... [​IMG] [​IMG]

i encounter this all the time and it drives me crazy...

sad I say

Garrett

3. socrates63 Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
    I ordered the white pizza anyway, and it came with mozzarella and not ricotta. Meh.

I take it that the pizza was no good?

4. acs236 Contributor
    The lack of good white pizza in Akron, Ohio is not the worst of its problems. Trust me. [​IMG]

5. gloco
    Dude, you're in Ohio...I imagine the owners of that "Italian restaurant" ain't Italian.

Better off sticking to meat and taters and whatever else people eat in the midwest. [​IMG]

How about i express mail you a half a tray of Spumoni sicilian pizza? That stuff is killer....i could drink the sauce in a cup, it's just so damn good.

6. Born2bwire
    On Monday, a few of my coworkers and I ate out at a Thai restaurant. There was a cockroach that wandered over to our table. I named him Slippy and we had many wonderous adventures. My coworkers were quick to give away their leftovers to me after that.

7. Kirosia
    Big whoop, there's worse things than a dumb waitress [​IMG]

never have dark skin and go to a certain Chili's in MA . . which city was it? Forgot . . .

8. fante7
    Yeah, the pizza was bad. I was also not paying for this meal, otherwise I wouldn't have chosen an Italian restaurant here. I just didn't expect it to be this bad. I was more annoyed at the incompetence of the wait staff than the quality of the food (or lack thereof).

9. wakeride74
    Service in restaurants and most other business for that matter has really gone down hill in the past 10-15 years.
    These days you are almost scared to return a dish or make special requests.... you end up getting attitude from some *******/bitchy teenager like it's not part of their job or something.

My wife and I recently went to Ruth's Chris Steak House and it was so nice to have service that was above and beyond. The kids that worked there were just great! Knew all about the menu details, they were personal, courteous, friendly, and it all seemed very genuine. It was a refreshing experience and the best damn filet I've ever had! Thumbs way up!

10. viator122
    It's really amazing how service can vary between restaurants. I've been to restaurants where they bring you free drinks and apologize for the wait on your food when it's only been like 10 minutes. OTOH I've waited 45 minutes without a word from the waiter.

Here in NY there are a ton of restaurants and my girlfriend and I love to go out to eat but we don't put up with poor service. If we're out somewhere and we feel the service is poor, that is reflected in the tip. It used to be that we were timid about giving small tips because "Hey these people work for tips, they need the money" but now we feel that if someone can't manage a smile, and a friendly and attentive attitude, we tip small and don't come back. There are too many great restaurants here that will treat us like GUESTS with courtesy and show us that our business is valued for me to patronize places that won't do that.

We went out to eat a Cuban restaurant a couple of weeks ago and as we were eating the chef came over to our table and asked why we weren't drinking the sangria, as it was made from his grandmother's recipe. Being the wiseass that I am and wanting to joke with him, too, I said, "Hey, if you're buying, we'll definitely try it." He snapped his fingers and we found two glasses of sangria on our table, free of charge. Do you know what that cost the restaurant? Maybe $2, but it bought him a lot of goodwill and we will go back to that restaurant.

Another story: we also love Indian food and there was a good and reasonably priced Indian restaurant near my girlfriend's old apartment. We'd go there after work to unwind, order a few rounds of Taj Mahal beer, appetizers, entrees, nan, and dessert. With tip the bill would be about $65 and since we came in almost every week, we wouldn't be charged for things like yogurt sauce and they started giving us free after-dinner drinks. Well, at one point we decided to start watching our weight a bit and get into better shape so we didn't go for a few weeks. When we went back we just shared an appetizer and ordered entrees, but no alcohol. Suddenly the waitstaff is not as friendly and we were charged for yogurt sauce as well as some "accidental" charges that weren't ours, and of course, no free drinks. It sent a clear message, "We value you as regular customers only as long as you ring up a big bill every time you come here." We don't go there anymore.

A good restaurant realizes that people go to them and spend a lot of money there to have a good time and they like to feel special. People are out celebrating, meeting with old friends, out on first dates, etc. and people want to be treated well and they want to feel like their business is appreciated. Some restaurants don't understand the idea that a little (smile, maybe a free drink or something, and just general attention to detail) goes a really really long way.

11. Jeff Guidry
    What I've distilled from this thread is that there are restaurants that care about your money, and restaurants that care about you. Restaurant staff that see every customer as an opportunity to give good service and a pleasant experience even for a $10 lunch ticket are people that are concerned about you. Workers who don't size you up as a big tipper and give you bad service clearly are only concerned about money. Take heart and know that the rest of these peoples lives is as miserable as the service they provide you.

Talk show host Michael Savage has said on his show that there is no such thing as good service outside of New York City. His riffs about service in San Francisco and waitstaff with "open running sores" and "a face full of hardware" are classic radio.

12. Kirosia
    While we're on the topic of service . . my uncle used to own an asian cuisine-type restaurant, it was a small place with cheap (but very good food). Well, his kids and wife were the waiter/waitress/cashier/etc and they always treated the customer with respected, and tried to do everything perfectly. (even though they admittingly hated working there) Things were organized, clean, and service was great. In a few years, business grew to become quite profitable, but . . . One day, he sold it. The family couldn't take the stress and fatigue anymore.

Now, the new owners messed up. Bad. They hired their family (distant I think) and they turned the place to crap. There were two guys, one couldn't speak his/our native language (main customer base) and both were poser ganster-wannabes from the valley. Customers say they were rude, mean, and just plain unfriendly. There was one girl, and she couldn't speak english well. She was nice though.

I remember when I used to go there during the old days, there were lots of customers, they showed my relatives respect, and people liked it overall. Now, the place is mostly empty cept for weekend mornings. My friends say that many of the old regulars have left.

13. MrSlacker
    dont you know that any pizza outside NYC just sucks??? lol, but its true, NYC has some amazing Pizza places even though no1 there is Italian. i remember when i was on vacation on Cyprus, we used to go to the same restaurant almost everyday so they knew us. after about 7 days, we started to get free drinks and stuff. on our last day, our waitress brought a whole tray of fruits and very good drinks for my parents for free. things like that make you want to come back there again.

14. Teerawit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
    dont you know that any pizza outside NYC just sucks??? lol, but its true, NYC has some amazing Pizza places even though no1 there is Italian. i remember when i was on vacation on Cyprus, we used to go to the same restaurant almost everyday so they knew us. after about 7 days, we started to get free drinks and stuff. on our last day, our waitress brought a whole tray of fruits and very good drinks for my parents for free. things like that make you want to come back there again.

Hey, can you recommend some good pizza parlors in NYC? I've been going to crap ones, lol

15. MrSlacker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
    Hey, can you recommend some good pizza parlors in NYC? I've been going to crap ones, lol

i only know good pizzas around my house. if you want to take Q train all the way to Kings Hwy, i'll tell you a good pizza place. i also hate buying a slice coz its never fresh. i like getting a whole pie...

2 3
Next

Last