Bad luck...Sony and Shure
Jun 25, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deviationer

100+ Head-Fier
ok so In the past 2 years I have gone through one of each Sony MDR-EX51/71/81.....all have had some issue with the plastic cabling disintegrating or something else happening with the cabling. I like the sound of the earbuds but I always knew there was better quality.

So finaly about a month ago I bought the Shure E2C. I think they rock. Well a few days ago the clear plastic tube that you can use to secure the cable behind your head decided to cut into the cable (while it was stored in the shure case) and it cut into the cable right where the cable comes up and over my ear.

Tried to fix it with resoldering the connection and using heatshrink, it worked for about a week and the left hear started to cut out.

So now I'm stuck here planning to buy another pair of the E2C's since I now know how not to store them in the case.

I have had bad luck with normal headphones too. I had the Sony MDR-V700DJ's, I thought they were great till the plastic started to crack. (and bad luck with random lower-quality headphones) I bought the MDR-XD400's soon after they came out and have been satisfied with them ever since

I keep a normal style of headphones for my computer and earbuds for my mp3 player.

Anyone else had bad luck like this with earbuds?

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 8
My friend broke 3 pairs of ex71 in about 4 years. Mine is going out after 4 years, the right channel comes in and out. I know couple of dudes who cracked their MDR-V*00. Sony build quality is doubtful.

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer
So finaly about a month ago I bought the Shure E2C. I think they rock. Well a few days ago the clear plastic tube that you can use to secure the cable behind your head decided to cut into the cable (while it was stored in the shure case) and it cut into the cable right where the cable comes up and over my ear.

If you replace your E2s, use a small hex wrench to take out the spool in the case. Then you can wrap them more loosely and put them in the case without the stress of being wrapped around the spool damaging them. Also I suggest the e2g rather than c because of the shorter cable. For portable use that six inches less of cable makes things much easier.

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
plus, all black is really classy looking

So true.
icon10.gif
Looks great with my black iPod. But the shorter cable is really what sold it. Really!

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 8
The spool was probably what wrecked my E2s. And do send an e-mail to Shure, they're usually good-natured and would help you out any way they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back