Backing Up Music Files
Mar 16, 2008 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

iKonoKlast

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering how many backups people typically have of their music files on their computer. For me right now, about half of my music is in my notebook hard drive and my whole collection is in my 160gb iPod classic. I guess I should get an external hard drive or an internal drive with more capacity...

Anyway, should I be more concerned about backing up my music? I guess I just kind of feel vulnerable having everything on my iPod.

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 27
Two for most of my music.
The original audio CD and an offline backup on hdd

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 27
I have :

All my MP3s files on PC
All my MP3s files on 160G iPod
All my MP3s on an external hard disk (backup)
All my CDs

I just had my PC die on me several weeks ago and and in the process on setting up a new system. Ought to backup everything once I am done!

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by LHS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't back up my music. It's not that big of a deal to just re-rip them.

Wow! I don't know how much you have. I have 700 albums ripped to FLAC all stored in a special folder on my C: drive and then a dedicated external Hard Drive solely for music.

I couldn't even think of backing up all that again.
eek.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 27
The original CDs of course and a second 400GB drive that I synchronize my library to whenever I think a significant amount of new music has been amassed.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 27
I have 2 external harddrives I use for backup purposes; externals HD's are so cheap these days, it's not easy for me to understand how people who spend thousands on audio equipment won't spend a couple hundred for external HD's...

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 27
One of the best features of Mac's Leopard software is the Time Machine feature. It automatically backs up the whole computer, including the music, without having to worry about it. It makes one original copy and then only makes updates based on any changes or new files every hour. I was able to sell my original cds for over $800 and now when I buy new music, I rip it and then use it for trade-in for my next purchases.

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 2 external harddrives I use for backup purposes; externals HD's are so cheap these days, it's not easy for me to understand how people who spend thousands on audio equipment won't spend a couple hundred for external HD's...

+1

With USB prices where they are, there's no reason to be short on disk space. And whatever you buy, get two and use the second to backup the first. I bought two 500gb USB drives for < $100 each online. One is the primary drive for storing a lossless copy of all my music, the other I plug in occasionally and sync up to get the new stuff backed up.

I then generate lossy (mp3, m4a, etc) copies of everything from the lossless source, and store that on my laptop, ipod, or whatever.

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 27
Everything backed up on two separate hard drives and one iPod. One hard drive kept off site. Will probably eventually upload the lot to Amazon S3 if I ever get a broadband connection with decent upstream speeds. C'mon Verizon, wire us for FIOS, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back