Background Hiss With X-Can???
Jan 3, 2002 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DPM

New Head-Fier
I typically use my X-Can v2/HD580's with a portable Panasonic CDP. I have Amperex PQ white label 6922s in the X-Can.

The other night I hooked the X-Can up to my main CDP (Cambridge Audio D-500) with Harmonic Technology TruthLink IC's. With the CDP powered up but not playing I can detect background hiss when the volume control is turned up. There is no hiss when I use the portable CDP. As well, there is no hiss through my speakers when my D500 is conected to my amp (SimAudio integrated) and powered up but not playing. Can anyone explain this hiss?

Thanks

Don

Jan 3, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Could be the interconnector but I suspect it's the Cambridge CD player. The reason you can't hear it throught the speakers probably because the frequency range on the headphones are much wider and it's also a lot more deatil then your speakers.

Is DPM your initial? At forst glance I thought you meant Damp Proof Material!

Jan 3, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Nope, I don't get hiss with my X-Cans V2 either

Are your ICs heavily shielded? My AudioQuest Quartz IIIs are so thick that they are almost unbendable

BUT, if i use my standard ICs with this, my DECT phone interferes with it, and makes a continual low buzzing / clicking noise

Probably not your problem, but... gotta be worth an ask!?

Jan 3, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 10
The Truth Link IC's are very thick cables and almost unbendable as well. I don't think it is the cables as I tried with another set (much cheaper) and get the same hiss. As well, I re checked my home system and do get a hiss through my speakers but only when the volume is about 80% of max. I suspect it is the D500 CDP then. Strange.

Jan 3, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 10
It is the CD player. I get the same thing with my D500SE. No hiss with Marantz CD-63SE, hiss with D500SE - both hooked up identically to my Corda. It's only at the very end of the volume dial though, and I never listen even halfway so I'm not very worried.

Jan 4, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 10
There was audible hiss with my stock X-Can with the volume at 12 O'clock w/ Marantz 63se, Link DAC, Panasonic PCDP 120, and 120U DVDPs . It was barley audible with the players on and quite noticeable with them off. I used a Monster HTS-2000 conditioner & now own a HTS-1000, and I tried different outlets in my house with similiar results.

When I tried NOS Siemens, the noise dropped considerably but never dissapeared completely.

*I only used the stock power supply w/ the X-Can and the responses of people reporting no noise were from people who have the X-PSU. I think you should upgrade the power supply as the stock is cheap junk - I sold my X-Can cuz I couldn't find a good deal on a X-PSU or find a replacement. Someone posted a few weeks ago about a replace ment power supply, might want to check the archives.

Jan 4, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 10
I had no noise either with or without the X-PSU, but I'm plugged into a Monster HTS-2000 power line conditioner. Hmmm....

(Monster has upgraded the line, and HTS-2000 (an older model) is going for a little above $100 on ebay these days...not a bad deal at all!)

Jan 4, 2002 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 10
What's even weirder with my experience with the 'Can' is that when I turned up the volume close to 12 o'clock I heard the most noise, but as I kept turning it up the noise actually decreased some
confused.gif
(this is with the cdp or dac turned off)

I was using HGA Super Silver ICs which are unshielded fyi.

Feb 3, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 10
I had the same experience as BenG: noise peaked at 11 o'clock in my case. Also when I slightly knock my finger on headphone jack, volume knob, or power jack in the back, I hear some funny (filament vibration?) noise on headphone which eventually fades away.

Out of curiosity, I opened my X-CANv2 today. It has two Philips 6922 tubes, one of which looks slightly loose on the tube socket. I pushed the tube down more tightly, and I no longer hear any noise - the 11 o'clock noise and the spring vibration noise. (I also feel some improvement in the amp sound, I think.
tongue.gif
) The tube must got loose in delivery truck. If you have the same symptoms, you may try it yourself; it's fairly easy (see Nick's page http://www.nikolai.org/misc/xcans/index.htm). Don't forget to put the ground wire in the back to the body while putting the rear plate back.

Feb 3, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 10
jedai~

Glad to hear you fixed it
smily_headphones1.gif

My xcanv2 does not have the hiss problem here... perhaps UPS actually did ship with care hehe..
cool.gif

Tides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back