Back to HM-901 (HM-901 -> AK120 -> HM901)
Feb 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #76 of 84
Got dedicated SACD player and nice PCs, I only listen to SACD or DSD files on desktop setup nowadays. But I'm thinking of trying to use hm901 as the source for my speaker setup some time. Bought needed cable already ..

Wow, you are a true audiophile. I mostly listen to 16/44 because a lot of music i like do not have higher bitrate versions. Please let us know how it turns out for your experiment. I read some review from Taiwan hardcore audiophiles testing the LO of hm901 on erjit before

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #77 of 84
@ fengwei007: thanks for your review on post 1...... I'm in the same situation, tried many nice DAPs (Colofly C4, Fiio x3, Cowon J3, etc.) and all of them have this similar "digital sound".... except the hm801, I highly enjoy this thing, can't name the differences in highs/mids/lows to the other players but as soon as I put the music on, I know it sounds right...... hifiman just knows how to tune their DAPs as it seems that all their players have this sort of musicality

oh and I use it only at home and have lots of sleepless but highly enjoyable nights :wink:

from your profile I see you also have the hm601LE. How does it sound compares to the bigger brother? I'm interested in it as I would like to have a similar sound in a more portable package

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #78 of 84
costas23:
(Colofly C4, Fiio x3, Cowon J3, etc.) and all of them have this similar "digital sound"

Colorfly C4 being loved for its naturality, musicality and smoothness (though sound is tastefully colored).
Why do you stated it has "digital sound"?
Could you describe in detail sound of Colorfly C4?
Which headphones did you use with it?
I'm interested in your subjective impressions...

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #79 of 84
^^ @vlad:
if you read fengwei007's review in post 1 and change the AK120 with the Colorfly C4 and the HM901 with the HM801 thats exactly how I feel for my C4 and hm801.

I actually don't like the words analog & digital as descriptions for the sq of DAPs but this is my subjective impression (it's only if directly compared to the hm801 - if I didn't have the hm801 I would never say that!)

I bought the C4 first immediately after I heard it at an exhibition and was highly impressed by its great sound quality. It is a truly fantastic DAP, has everything you wish - clear & transparent sound, great soundstage with numerous output options and I enjoyed it very much. However I wasn't drawn to the music as much as I hoped. Out of curiosity I bought the HM801 and knew immediately that it sounded right for me. Every song is a pleasure and I find interest in music genres I never thought of before (and that's the most important thing for me)

If you google the headfonia review of the colorfly C4, it has a better and more thorough comparison of the 2 DAPs and that's exactly how I see it.

However, although I think the hm801 sounds perfectly natural for me, many people claim, that it has a coloured tuning with an intended treble-roll-off. Still, I like it that way as I have no sibilance or any issues with piercing highs anymore (my phones are Grados and Hifiman He400).

My headphones are listed in my profile btw, and I like the hm801 better with all of them. But bear in mind that all my headphones are very efficient and I didn't try it with speakers or low efficient phones. It could be the other way round with other phones and people with different preferences, so YMMV

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #80 of 84
^^ @vlad:
if you read fengwei007's review in post 1 and change the AK120 with the Colorfly C4 and the HM901 with the HM801 thats exactly how I feel for my C4 and hm801.

I actually don't like the words analog & digital as descriptions for the sq of DAPs but this is my subjective impression (it's only if directly compared to the hm801 - if I didn't have the hm801 I would never say that!)

I bought the C4 first immediately after I heard it at an exhibition and was highly impressed by its great sound quality. It is a truly fantastic DAP, has everything you wish - clear & transparent sound, great soundstage with numerous output options and I enjoyed it very much. However I wasn't drawn to the music as much as I hoped. Out of curiosity I bought the HM801 and knew immediately that it sounded right for me. Every song is a pleasure and I find interest in music genres I never thought of before (and that's the most important thing for me)

If you google the headfonia review of the colorfly C4, it has a better and more thorough comparison of the 2 DAPs and that's exactly how I see it.

However, although I think the hm801 sounds perfectly natural for me, many people claim, that it has a coloured tuning with an intended treble-roll-off. Still, I like it that way as I have no sibilance or any issues with piercing highs anymore (my phones are Grados and Hifiman He400).

My headphones are listed in my profile btw, and I like the hm801 better with all of them. But bear in mind that all my headphones are very efficient and I didn't try it with speakers or low efficient phones. It could be the other way round with other phones and people with different preferences, so YMMV
Totally agree with you man.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #81 of 84
Wow, you are a true audiophile. I mostly listen to 16/44 because a lot of music i like do not have higher bitrate versions. Please let us know how it turns out for your experiment. I read some review from Taiwan hardcore audiophiles testing the LO of hm901 on erjit before

Thanks. I'm not a true audiophile, well, at least not as knowledgeable as most guys here. But I do enjoy listening high quality musics, and HM901 happens to be the best sounding portable player I can find and afford.

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #82 of 84
@ fengwei007: thanks for your review on post 1...... I'm in the same situation, tried many nice DAPs (Colofly C4, Fiio x3, Cowon J3, etc.) and all of them have this similar "digital sound".... except the hm801, I highly enjoy this thing, can't name the differences in highs/mids/lows to the other players but as soon as I put the music on, I know it sounds right...... hifiman just knows how to tune their DAPs as it seems that all their players have this sort of musicality

oh and I use it only at home and have lots of sleepless but highly enjoyable nights :wink:

from your profile I see you also have the hm601LE. How does it sound compares to the bigger brother? I'm interested in it as I would like to have a similar sound in a more portable package

I got the HM601LE on impulse about three weeks ago, mostly because I don't want to buy an HM801 but want to try the Hm801 sound (some said the HM601Le-which is basically a 602 in 601's body, while 602 has 80% of. HM801's sound). It sounds very nice and musical. But compared with HM901, the difference is very obvious, HM901 w MiniBox card just sound do much fuller and nicer with much greater details (matched w K3003).

So I passed the HM601LE to a friend who happened to be looking for this player. It's a very short two weeks journey to me w the HM601LE.

Oh I just updated my profile, removed the 601LE w no regret :)

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #83 of 84
fengwei007

I know this is an extremely late reply back to your thread but off of your comments I purchased the HM901 instead of the AK100 II. (The AK 100 II is often said to sound similar to the AK 120)
I would just like to thank you for your deep/ emotional comments of the experience from using the HM901 vs AK120. I purchased the HM901 used off of Amazon for $700. instead of $900. and it should be arriving in my mail within two days.

I recently purchased the Sennheiser IE800s and I absolutely love the spacious sound signature with the beautiful sounding mids and subtle bass.
Off of your experience with the IE800 and k3003 which one is you preference for listening to vocals and classic rock through the hm901. I would appreciate it if you could describe the sound signature difference between the two.

Thanks a bunch
dt880smile.png

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #84 of 84
  fengwei007

I know this is an extremely late reply back to your thread but off of your comments I purchased the HM901 instead of the AK100 II. (The AK 100 II is often said to sound similar to the AK 120)
I would just like to thank you for your deep/ emotional comments of the experience from using the HM901 vs AK120. I purchased the HM901 used off of Amazon for $700. instead of $900. and it should be arriving in my mail within two days.

I recently purchased the Sennheiser IE800s and I absolutely love the spacious sound signature with the beautiful sounding mids and subtle bass.
Off of your experience with the IE800 and k3003 which one is you preference for listening to vocals and classic rock through the hm901. I would appreciate it if you could describe the sound signature difference between the two.

Thanks a bunch
dt880smile.png

Congrats on the new player and IEMs. 

Between the IE800 and K3003, I'd say I like the IE800 slightly better due to its spacious sound and bass impact. K3003 is quite dull and not very exciting IEMs to me, everything sounds alright, but nothing special. And I feel the IE800 fits slightly better to my ears too, other than the cable noise. It doesn't really matter which player I'm pairing with, these are my feelings about these two IEMs overall. 

The 901 with IEM or new stock card should pair pretty well with the IE800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back