Back into Hi-End Hi Fi & phones
Oct 2, 2005 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pjr300

100+ Head-Fier
First, I just discovered this site and have been reading like mad for 2 days... what a great forum!

This is my first post. I'm an ex-audiophile looking to get back into some gear. About 3 years ago I sold my Martin Logan and associated gear because listening time as a parent was limited... and when I did get a chance, the volume had to be ultra low in order to not wake them up.

In prior years, I had some great headphone setups. Some mid-line Stax, then the high end Stax system... the one with their tube amp and that funky EQ box. I sold that setup and replaced it with a Melos and the Grado HP-2. Really liked it.

I think headphone listening will work in my life now. I find myself longing to listen, some times just to drown out the noise from my kids, and just to relax, especially before bed.

My current system is not very Hi-Fi: it's a pair of Grado SR-60 with a Luxman 103u tube hybrid integrated amplifier, circa 1990.

I'm blown away by all the new choices! In the past three years a ton of new tube gear makers have arrived on the scene. I'm also blown away by all the HP amps available... especially tube ones! In the day, it was nowhere near this.

Anyway, after doing some reading, it sounds like the consensus on Grados is that they are fast but colored. Do they still seem so flawed with Grado' samp as well (the little dud that in a wood box)?

Also high on my list for gear is the Little Dot II. Seems like a great deal for a nice sounding amp.

Phones... there's a toughie. I haven't heard a Senn... but from an affordability standpoint, the 595 or 580 seems like a great deal. The 600 is a pretty good deal too.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions or comments... Thanks!

Oct 2, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 12
welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet! so funny that i'm trying to recreate the rigs you used to have - i can't find the funky EQ box for the STAX at a reasonable price, and my stax amp is the solid state version, so as far as the electrostatic rig goes i'm not hearing the level of coolness you did back in the day. but my melos/hp2 combo should be all together by next week, so i'll be where you used to be in short order!

with kids, if you still want tube amps there are a great number of tube amps in enclosures, like the RKV and the Meier Eartube and the like. Hmm, the MicroZOTL too, but that was around back when you were probably in the hobby. there is a Moth amp that covers everything up too i believe. good luck hunting, and if you still love the grado sound, check out the PS-1 at Todd the Vinyl Junkie's site!

Oct 2, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjr300
Phones... there's a toughie. I haven't heard a Senn... but from an affordability standpoint, the 595 or 580 seems like a great deal. The 600 is a pretty good deal too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
...and if you still love the grado sound, check out the PS-1 at Todd the Vinyl Junkie's site!

Hahaha, very nice recommendation, don't even let him ease himself into the expensive stuff. Though they say the best way to get into cold water is to just jump right in...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 12
Welcome to Head-fi! My suggestion is that if you liked Grado before, probably safer to go down the same path to find your sonic bliss. But there are a whole world of other manufacturers to try...

It would be great if you can tell us a bit more about your genre preferences.

Just a quick point to note, Dr. Yang is working on the Little Dot III which also work as a speaker amplifier. Might pays to check out the his website, www.little-tube.com.

Just my two cents
Overlunge

Oct 2, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 12
get out and demo wherever / whenever possible. Demo the same cans at different stores too. Many times the same can at different shops can sound dramatically different depending on what receiver / amp they have it plugged into.

The HD580 is my fave senn. Its not as finicky as its bigger HD brothers when it comes to amplification.

I'm very happy with my millet hybrid. Sounds stellar with all my cans.

a note about grados.... Their sound changes dramatically as the bowl pads age. The foam softens to a marshmellow feel after a few months. This allows the drivers to sink towards your ears and alters the sound dramatically over a new, hard set of bowls. I prefer the old mushy bowls on my MS2, but they make my HF1 sound compressed. A note about the cheap vinyl headband... Wrap a $15 DT770 headband around it and its a WHOLE new animal. SUPER comfey!!!

Garrett

Oct 2, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
get out and demo wherever / whenever possible. Demo the same cans at different stores too. ... The HD580 is my fave senn. Its not as finicky as its bigger HD brothers when it comes to amplification... I'm very happy with my millet hybrid. Sounds stellar with all my cans.

Garrett, thanks for the feedback. I think there is a store near me that has the Senns on display; I'll check them out. And yes, I've read some positive comments about the Millet hybrid, especially those built by someone named Mister X. Seen the pics -- looks like nice work -- but I haven't been able to find good any info on him or the amp though.

overlunge said:
Welcome to Head-fi! My suggestion is that if you liked Grado before, probably safer to go down the same path to find your sonic bliss.... It would be great if you can tell us a bit more about your genre preferences.... Dr. Yang is working on the Little Dot III which also work as a speaker amplifier. [/url].

My sound preferences have always leaned to tubes. My audio rigs were littered with names like Conrad Johnson, Audible Illusions, Atmosphere, Moscode, Jadis, Counterpoint, and Audio Research in the past. If I used solid state, it would be on the amplifier side of things.

Music preferences are jazz and rock, with some classical mixed in from time to time.

The main system will be something more traditional, since it's hooked into the video rig. Nobody but me seems to remember to trun it off, so a full tube rig sitting in the A/V cabinet is probably a bad choise.... need something more "family friendly."

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuffMorgan
Hahaha, very nice recommendation, don't even let him ease himself into the expensive stuff. Though they say the best way to get into cold water is to just jump right in...
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I can see nothing has changed with audio... $$$$$
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet! so funny that i'm trying to recreate the rigs you used to have - i can't find the funky EQ box for the STAX at a reasonable price, and my stax amp is the solid state version, so as far as the electrostatic rig goes i'm not hearing the level of coolness you did back in the day. but my melos/hp2 combo should be all together by next week, so i'll be where you used to be in short order!

Jahn, I think you'll find the Melos + HP combo to be vastly superior to the Stax setup. It is ultra liquid and musical... just drips off the CDs into your ears! Very satisfying... and the Melos is a great preamp for a full audio system.

I tried the EQ box on both the ss and tube stax system. I didn't thinl it added much at all on the ss package. In addition, I found that it introduced a slight level of solid state veil and haze when active on both setups. However, on the tube amp, with some CDs, it really added to the openness, and the veil was less pronounced.

I think I still have that Stax double disc test CD somewhere around here. The effect on that disc was unbelievable. The demo disc made it feel like people were walking behind you and in front of you --- real spooky and funny stuff!

The Stax tube setup was more transparent and open than the Melos/Grado, but the M/G was much more dynamic, punchy, and musical.

Oct 2, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 12
You should jump on the Grado HF1s while you can,This headphones a steal,
Listening to it with the Budget Rockhopper M^3 amp & portable sony DVp30 dvd player I have, Keeps the toe tapping for Hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Wrap a $15 DT770 headband around it and its a WHOLE new animal. SUPER comfey!!!

Garrett

Where's a good place in the US or Canada to order the DT770 headband from?

Oct 3, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Jahn, I think you'll find the Melos + HP combo to be vastly superior to the Stax setup. It is ultra liquid and musical... just drips off the CDs into your ears! Very satisfying... and the Melos is a great preamp for a full audio system.

I tried the EQ box on both the ss and tube stax system. I didn't thinl it added much at all on the ss package. In addition, I found that it introduced a slight level of solid state veil and haze when active on both setups. However, on the tube amp, with some CDs, it really added to the openness, and the veil was less pronounced.

I think I still have that Stax double disc test CD somewhere around here. The effect on that disc was unbelievable. The demo disc made it feel like people were walking behind you and in front of you --- real spooky and funny stuff!

The Stax tube setup was more transparent and open than the Melos/Grado, but the M/G was much more dynamic, punchy, and musical.

You know, that kind of feedback is what makes this board so worthwhile. Thanks for the first-hand impressions, I look forward to coming back and sharing my own!

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57
Where's a good place in the US or Canada to order the DT770 headband from?

check the link in my sig for "DT770 Headband" - it has all the info you need!

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #11 of 12
Post your location on your profile and maybe you could find someone other Head-Fiers around you who would let you demo their equipment. Or check the meets forum to find a meet in your area. I think those are great opportunities.
orphsmile.gif

Also, does anyone know how long the HF-1 is going to be sold? You might want to snap that up before it is gone... I wish I had the money to get one right now...

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

And yes, I've read some positive comments about the Millet hybrid, especially those built by someone named Mister X. Seen the pics -- looks like nice work -- but I haven't been able to find good any info on him or the amp though.

Hey pjr300,

MisterX is just a headfier like you and I, except he's exceptional at building amps! I don't believe he has a website, so you'll have to PM him, and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help. Also, I think his feedback thread just about speaks for itself!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back