Back-Electret/STAX
Oct 7, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 43
Never saw your comparison of the SR-30 and SR-40. I'd be very interested as have owned and loved my SR-40s since the late 70's(More than my new NAD Visio HD50s.) and am thinking of picking up some used SR-30s.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #33 of 43
I have had a pair of SR-40's since 1975, I think. Always loved them and they were my gold standard. I read an old review that praised the SR-30 as one of Stax's best, so when I saw a pair on the Bay, I snagged them. Unfortunately, the Left channel is pretty weak compared to the right. (Is there any cure?) However, I would say that they are warmer with better bass extension but less attack than the 40s. I also just got a pair of SR-X3/SRD-7 with pretty ragged pads. (anyone know where I can get replacements because Stax USA is mute?) Again the Left is low volume intermittently. I cleaned the terminals, but it didn't seem to help much. It may be weather/humidity related. Getting back to the point, they sound more like the SR-30; but quite a bit cleaner at the top, more linear and balanced, and the have the attack of the 40s....when they are behaving. I haven't read through this entire thread yet; but I look forward to finding another vintage electret to search for. I am a detail freak and although electrostatics may be technically better; I still gravitate to my beloved 40s.

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #34 of 43
I have had a pair of SR-40's since 1975, I think. Always loved them and they were my gold standard. I read an old review that praised the SR-30 as one of Stax's best, so when I saw a pair on the Bay, I snagged them. Unfortunately, the Left channel is pretty weak compared to the right. (Is there any cure?) However, I would say that they are warmer with better bass extension but less attack than the 40s. I also just got a pair of SR-X3/SRD-7 with pretty ragged pads. (anyone know where I can get replacements because Stax USA is mute?) Again the Left is low volume intermittently. I cleaned the terminals, but it didn't seem to help much. It may be weather/humidity related. Getting back to the point, they sound more like the SR-30; but quite a bit cleaner at the top, more linear and balanced, and the have the attack of the 40s....when they are behaving. I haven't read through this entire thread yet; but I look forward to finding another vintage electret to search for. I am a detail freak and although electrostatics may be technically better; I still gravitate to my beloved 40s.

There is a chance, in both the SR-30 and the SR-X III, that the wee protection device attached to the driver in the cup is damaged. You could try removing them if you are handy with a soldering iron. Make sure you cover the front and back of the driver when soldering near them, as flux spatter can damage the dust covers. Tape a piece of paper over them or something.

It's more likely that the SR-30 driver is just damaged. I have a spare SR-30 driver somewhere, I think, that if i find, I might be persuaded to part with. Years ago i built one working SR-30 out of two wrecked pairs. I think i have an extra, working driver.

The SR-30 is the bassiest of the Stax electrets for sure, and possibly bassier than the SR-X III, though the SR-X III has a cleaner, faster overall sound.

The intermittent low volume in your SR-X III might be dirty connectors inside the ear cup. I can't recall exactly but i think they might be a faston style connector on a metal tab rather than soldered? Could also be a damaged cable. You'd have to exchange drivers between sides to be sure.

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #35 of 43
The SR-X does indeed have faston connectors, which I cleaned on the "bad" side. Your idea of switching drivers is great. Thanks, Eric. There was a NOS SR-X III driver on eBay just recently; but I did not buy it because mine have a "wee" black component (protection device?) soldered between 2 contacts and the one for sale didn't. I have more experience soldering pipes with a blowtorch than wee electronic bits, so I'm chicken. Are you implying that the driver would sound better with no protection device at all than a bad one? Could I cut it out as a step in diagnosing? You will not be held responsible. ;^)

If you find the SR-30 driver, I'd be interested. Thanks again for the advice. I'll let you know how I make out.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #36 of 43
The SR-X does indeed have faston connectors, which I cleaned on the "bad" side. Your idea of switching drivers is great. Thanks, Eric. There was a NOS SR-X III driver on eBay just recently; but I did not buy it because mine have a "wee" black component (protection device?) soldered between 2 contacts and the one for sale didn't. I have more experience soldering pipes with a blowtorch than wee electronic bits, so I'm chicken. Are you implying that the driver would sound better with no protection device at all than a bad one? Could I cut it out as a step in diagnosing? You will not be held responsible. ;^)

If you fins the SR-30 driver, I'd be interested. Thanks again for the advice. I'll let you know how I make out.

Well, no, the protection device (I'm not sure if it's an MOV or a TVS diode or what?) generally should not alter the sound quality at all. If it is working. It's possible that it has failed, which may cause it to affect the sound negatively.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #37 of 43
I think that might be a thermistor.
That was mentioned once or twice in the Ortho Roundup thread IIRC

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #39 of 43
I've ordered some generic ear pads while I'm waiting for hell to freeze over - that is for Stax USA to clear a backorder. When they arrive I'll take the SR-Xs apart again and clean the contacts, test continuity on the thermistors, and switch the drivers. Although, last night they sounded almost balanced. Mt hearing is less sensitive in my Lt. ear than my Rt., so I just reverse the head set and it's pretty spot on.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #42 of 43
Can anyone tell what happened to wikiphonia?

F2D tells me that the hosting service he uses upgraded their software, and the wiki he was using doesn't work with the new environment. Python too new or something. I forget the details. He's fairly busy with work and family and asked if i felt like trying to fix it, but I'm afraid i wouldn't know where to start.

Sep 7, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #43 of 43
It turns out the R/L imbalance of all my STAX headphones has been cured. The problem was with the components between the earspeakers - my left ear. For some reason it's a lot better now.
Anyway. I am thinking of selling either the SR-34 or SR-44. Which would you keep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back