Back again, looking for a small and competent DAC
Feb 20, 2006 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

C38368

500+ Head-Fier
I've more or less posted this thread before. I was at that time pointed toward Slim Devices and their lovely (but rather un-squishy) Squeezebox. Great, problem of how to get digitised music into headphone-listenable form solved.

But now I've run into the problem of doing the same with movies and--very likely--games. Without going into too much detail, suffice it to say that I prefer to use digital outs for both when possible, and last time I checked this still required a DAC.

Right now, that ubiquitous and curvaceous mainstay, the Micro DAC is leading the pack.
It is: both battery (thus portable) and wall-powerable; able to take coax, optical and USB inputs; small and attractive looking.
I do have a couple concerns with the Micro DAC, though: no RCA outs (not strictly necessary, but this would be going next into an amp), and the single jack for both coax and optical. I can understand the reasoning for both, though.

So for those in the know, are there any other DACs out there at a similar price point with similar features that I should be considering? My knowledge is rather limited in this area.
I can say that the VDA-1 was in the running, but has more or less fallen off the radar since it's been both replaced and discontinued. It's successor certainly looks smashingly wonderful, but the price tag is a little steep for what I want.

Many thanks, all in advance, for those who so graciously give up their time to help poor lost souls like myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm pretty happy with my CEC DA53. It's not small like the microdac, but it's pretty small as ac powered components go. Has balanced and rca outputs, plus aes/ebu, toslink, coax, and usb inputs.

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 11
I have been playing with a new Spitfire with PSU, in anticipation of my Raptor showing up. It is small, and the PSU is the same size. You can roll the opamp to adjust output somewhat (I have OPA627 on the way as well). It also has the RCA outs.

To my "wanna-be" audiophile ears, the output is quite similar to my headroom unit, doing A/B testing using the amp on the Desktop. It was a few decibels less loud than the headroom, but the sound is great.

Just waiting on the Raptor to get the new system up and running, and take the headroom home to my study.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 11
Spitfire... hadn't considered that one. I see that the optical in takes precedence over the coax. Is that true any time the optical is plugged in, or only when it's receiving a signal?

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 11
I can play with it, not much for documentation. Has worked with both coax and optical out of my 1212m, no other source to test both at once.

Check out the Firestone Audio link above.

Will think on that one.

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

The Spitfire DAC is a perfect upgrade for any CD/DVD or computer soundcard based system. Digital inputs are auto selected via Toslink optical (priority) or RCA coaxial.

That's really all they have regarding the Spitfire and it's two inputs, unless there's a manual I'm not seeing (but from your description, it doesn't much sound like it...

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 11
I agree with your comments and concerns, C38368. I, too, think the Channel Islands would make a nice choice, but, yes, the price is higher than I (and you) would like. You may perhaps try the non-oversampling MHDT Labs Dialogue II. These auction on eBay (new) for around $200 (USD). I have heard, from knowledgeable listeners, that this is a good quality DAC.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella
I agree with your comments and concerns, C38368. I, too, think the Channel Islands would make a nice choice, but, yes, the price is higher than I (and you) would like. You may perhaps try the non-oversampling MHDT Labs Dialogue II. These auction on eBay (new) for around $200 (USD). I have heard, from knowledgeable listeners, that this is a good quality DAC.

The VDA-2 is intriguing but it comes in at a rather odd price point for me, I have two options for my next upgrade, I can sell my Dialogue II and use the money I have set aside for a DAC like the Storm Digital D02 or Lite DAC-60, both of which come in under $500, or I can sell my whole setup and start over with something like the Lavry DA10. The VDA-2 comes in just enough above my budget to give me pause, but then add on a VAC-1 and the price is approaching Lavry territory. Maybe it's just me but I think if the VDA-2 were priced in the $400 - 500 range more people might be looking at it.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 11
I could not agree more, elnero. If the VDA-2 were sub-$500, it would be more attractive. The price, with the VAC-1 added (which is the only way I would have gone), was too steep for me. With the trade on my Music Hall CD25.2, the difference for a new Rega Apollo was less than the cost of the VDA-2--without the power supply. Thus, I will have both an upgraded transport and DAC in this scenario. For me, opting for the Apollo was an easy decision to make.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 11
That Apollo sure sounds like it's going to be a nice player unfortunately it just doesn't fit into my system either financially or with regards to space, the top loading is a complete no-no for me know that I've moved my system out to the livingroom.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 11
I understand, elnero. I am happy that my trade, setup, etc. worked out well for the Apollo. I am looking forward to receiving it. I wish you the best in your upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back