Bach sacred cantata cycle
Nov 23, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #62 of 102
I must admit I never thought of Harnoncourt/Leonhardt as bland. The roughness tends to be unnerving at times - edge of the seat stuff as you wonder can the treble make it to the end of a line without expiring, will the violins remain in tune, can the vocal line be made any choppier and still have any coherency, ... well you get the idea.

Now Herreweghe you could argue as being blandly smoothed out and over-prettified.

Nov 23, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #63 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
I must admit I never thought of Harnoncourt/Leonhardt as bland. The roughness tends to be unnerving at times - edge of the seat stuff as you wonder can the treble make it to the end of a line without expiring, will the violins remain in tune, can the vocal line be made any choppier and still have any coherency, ... well you get the idea.

Now Herreweghe you could argue as being blandly smoothed out and over-prettified.

hehe

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #64 of 102
Bunny,
No, it's a reedition of two discs of Virgin Veritas in the Veritasx2 series.
Includes BWV 131, 73, 105, 39, 93 and 107
The set you say, as I can see at google, is Harmonia Mundi. Of those sets I own Les Cantates de fêtes.

Zumaro,
For your information, I think this two discs are more smoothed out and over-prettified than the 'fêtes' set. But my memory can be bad
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #65 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Shosta,

Was it the Les Plus Belles Cantates set? That is no longer available and is a great deal if you found one!

I had no idea the Les Plus Belles Cantates set was no longer available. I have a copy of the set and I think it is fantastic. It is a shame that this great set is no longer available.

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #66 of 102
Hi LFF,

No, it's not available boxed together but the individual cantatas are available packaged in separate sets, Cantatas for Alto, for Bass, and other type of combinations some of which are "budget" priced. I'm sorry I didn't pick up the set when I had the chance but there was so much repetition. Now I'll be repeating anyway as I fill in.
rolleyes.gif

Then again, I may come across it in the used bins.

Nov 23, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #67 of 102
Also released with the two Virgin cantata disks were the short masses Bach compiled from cantata movements. Herreweghe's versions are particularly beautiful - quite luminous in places, and despite the masses being much maligned because of supposedly poor word setting they are well worth listening to as a compendium of very high quality cantata movements. If you see those disks around I would recommend picking them up fast as well.

For the record I think Herreweghe's Bach is usually very successful - maybe not as "authentic" as some, but enjoyable nonetheless. If only he would complete a cycle, although to an extent Suzuki covers similar interpretive ground, but a little less smoothed out.

I see that there is a new Herreweghe disk of secular cantatas (BWV 214 and 207), and I will be grabbing it as soon as I see it. BWV 214 is interesting as it contains mostly music reused in the Christmas Oratorio - notably the opening chorus of part 1. Now that cantata I remember hearing on LP with Peter Schreier conducting while I was still at school, so it must have left an impression!

Nov 23, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #68 of 102
Quote:

Also released with the two Virgin cantata disks were the short masses Bach compiled from cantata movements. Herreweghe's versions are particularly beautiful - quite luminous in places, and despite the masses being much maligned because of supposedly poor word setting they are well worth listening to as a compendium of very high quality cantata movements. If you see those disks around I would recommend picking them up fast as well.

I'll keep an eye on that. The Virgin Veritasx2 catalog (10 €) and the Alpha label (25%) are in offer this week in this store. (I bought some of Alpha too).

Nov 24, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #69 of 102
Quote:

For the record I think Herreweghe's Bach is usually very successful - maybe not as "authentic" as some, but enjoyable nonetheless. If only he would complete a cycle, although to an extent Suzuki covers similar interpretive ground, but a little less smoothed out.

I see that there is a new Herreweghe disk of secular cantatas (BWV 214 and 207), and I will be grabbing it as soon as I see it. BWV 214 is interesting as it contains mostly music reused in the Christmas Oratorio - notably the opening chorus of part 1. Now that cantata I remember hearing on LP with Peter Schreier conducting while I was still at school, so it must have left an impression!

would that be the same type of word setting that was derided by contemporary critics when they first heard the Cantata BWV 21?

"Ich, Ich, Ich, Ich hatte viel bekummernis, ich hatte viel bekummernis,in meine herz, in meine herz, ..." etc.?

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #70 of 102
I I I I think so!

And also the Christmas Oratorio I do believe - opening chorus with its timpani intro seems to upset some critics I have read, but as it is taken from BWV 214 (Tonet ihr pauken) all is explained. Lazy Bach, with so little sensitivity to the finer points of musical setting - why do we continue to listen to him....

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #74 of 102
I'm not at all familiar with Bach's Cantatas, anyone have a good place to start (barring buying a whole set).

Scott

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #75 of 102
I'm not at all familiar with Bach's Cantatas, anyone have a good place to start (barring buying a whole set).

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back