Baby STAX SR-001 MK2 Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #91 of 113
 The only problem is relatively limited availability, necessity to use appropriate charger, both leading to higher cost.

On eBay, NiZn is not more expensive than other rechargeable.

And I use La Crosse BC-700, which charges NiZn very well, although designed for NiMH.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #93 of 113
  I use the wall adaptor. Never batteries, never found any of them to deliver enough juice to have the baby Stax sound at it's sonically best. 

Sonically best would be batteries (because of extremely low internal resistance) - sealed lead/acid batteries are available in 4.5 V, although they are hard to get, probably easier in the USA ( the only 4.5 V battery I did see in shops here is made in USA ). But it is relatively big, awkward and ungainly looking - and you have to make the cable, charging etc by yourself. You can also use external enclosures for AA bateries - 3 NiZn cells in series would give you nominally 4,65 V, equal or better than the wall supply.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #94 of 113

On eBay, NiZn is not more expensive than other rechargeable.

And I use La Crosse BC-700, which charges NiZn very well, although designed for NiMH.

True - but other rechargeables is possible to get at below ebay prices - NiZn not.

Nice to know that NiZn can also be charged with BC-700 - I have Memorex Pro 1 Geniux ( which is nothing else than rebadged Maha C 9000 ). Do you get full 1.6 V when charging NiZn with BC 700 ?

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #95 of 113
  Sonically best would be batteries (because of extremely low internal resistance) - sealed lead/acid batteries are available in 4.5 V, although they are hard to get, probably easier in the USA ( the only 4.5 V battery I did see in shops here is made in USA ). But it is relatively big, awkward and ungainly looking - and you have to make the cable, charging etc by yourself. You can also use external enclosures for AA bateries - 3 NiZn cells in series would give you nominally 4,65 V, equal or better than the wall supply.

I don't like batteries. They never last.

Forgot to add that my "wall adaptor" is unique. Custom made, regulated and direct fed into the SRM-001.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #96 of 113
  I don't like batteries. They never last.

Forgot to add that my "wall adaptor" is unique. Custom made, regulated and direct fed into the SRM-001.

I did not like rechargeable batteries prior to Sanyo Eneloop NiMH either.  Sealed lead/acid batteries also last very long if properly charged/maintained.

I use baby Stax primarily for portable - where good reproduction is required - and no isolation. At home, it is Lambda. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #97 of 113
Yeah I hear ya I tried using the baby Stax on the train once couldn't stand the noise going in from nearby folks talking loudly. I haven't listened to the baby Stax in over a year now, it's just sitting there along with my Gamma Pro's, 202 and 404. My LP, SR-5 and 3N have been getting most of the headtime.

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #98 of 113
Some sort of "collateral damage" while searching for the tips for my Havi B3 Pro 1 dual dynamic IEMs ( Chinese IEM at approx $60 that is easily comparable to anything costing 2-3 times more - has its own appreciation thread on HF ) :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/351207051954?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=620392844425&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are actually 3 sizes for these large bore ( soft & VERY comfy ) tips available, but only the large L size will *fit* (you have to show some determination... - nice and slowly does it, they do not tear/burst as most will when forced on to Stax oval nozzle ) - result is a much better fit/seal than stock tip - and now I can enjoy baby Stax for extended periods
atsmile.gif
- something impossible with stock tips 
L3000.gif

If you are careful, they might even be worn without headband while still ensuring good seal>bass. I prefer to keep it secure and continue to use headband.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #99 of 113

Nice to know that NiZn can also be charged with BC-700 - I have Memorex Pro 1 Geniux ( which is nothing else than rebadged Maha C 9000 ). Do you get full 1.6 V when charging NiZn with BC 700 ?

NiZn is charged to 1.9v. 1.6v is empty voltage. Working voltage is 1.7v.

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #100 of 113
I never found a way to wear my baby stax in comfort when i bought them so i hadn't listened to them for a few years. 

Thought i might sell 'em, decided i needed to make sure it all works. 

Still uncomfortable. Looked into what people have used for alternative tips. I'd seen in the past where some people had used sennheiser tips, and i'd recently bought some double flange tips for some cheap chinese dual driver canalphones I'd bought on a whim. 

The ebay dual flange sennheiser tips aren't near as tall as genuine sennheiser/sony single flange tips and easily stretch over the tubes. There is a small bass enhancement from lengthening the tube but it's slight enough that it doesn't harm the sound. 

If you try 'em, I recommend going up a size from your normal canalphone flange size - mediums flatten out too far, larges fit like mediums. 

Now I'm thinking i need to get some shure orange foams and try those. Also i don't think i can sell my sr-001 mk2. 

May 16, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #101 of 113
Got some probably-not-genuine shure orange foams from ebay. The tube in the center was very well adhered and had to basically be cut out. 

These work well though. Even stay in my ears. I wonder where the hell the headband for these went, though. 

Also got some PowerGenix NiZn AA cells and charger. This combo is working pretty well. Currently rocking out to Kraftwerk's Minimum-Maximum live compilation. 

Has anyone traced out the circuit that turns the LCD red when the batteries are too low? For NiZn that should be at 2.6v. Should be a simple matter of replacing a zener reference probably. 

May 18, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #102 of 113
  Has anyone traced out the circuit that turns the LCD red when the batteries are too low? For NiZn that should be at 2.6v. Should be a simple matter of replacing a zener reference probably. 

NiZn is empty at 1.6v. Doubling that would be 3.2v.

Anyway, the red and green LEDs probably detect the high voltage charge, for the static electrical bias, in hundreds of volts.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #105 of 113

Hi!

looking after months, finally found the right silicon-eartips for my stax:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001K9HMW4

SQ is absolutely amazing with it! These are from Amazon Germany. Probably available also at your Country!?

they look like double-flange tips for foster canalphones (as sold by sennheiser, akg, sony, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back