Baby Orpheus HE60 Appreciation Thread
Sep 10, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really surprised SRD-7 MkII sounds as good as it does; must be a synergy thing with my Almarro. I mean, the wires to amp look pathetic, not to mention oxidation.

I will be doing some minor mods, such as replacing that wire and bypassing the speaker/stat switch. I will terminate it with 4-pin XLR to plug it into K1000 jack on my Almarro.

It sounds great with my Puccini and I used it exclusively for about a month. Better wiring will let more trough so you could start to notice some flaws that were previously hidden but that's part of this insane hobby.

I would try to limit the number of connectors as they are always much worse then a straight wire so a wire out of the back with a XLR on the end would be preferable to a connector on the back.

Quote:

You mentioned before about "bypassing" the internal biasing board, but don't you need that board for the 'stat biasing?

You should only use it for the bias function and nothing else. To simplify manufacture Stax tied everything to the PCB so there are a lot of wires going there and simply connecting to other wires instead of going there directly.

Quote:

BTW, I have directly A-B'd HE90, HE60, OII, and for my tastes and music, I disagree HE90 is "much better" than HE60. I would love to own HE90, and it does have more of a "reference" sound with wider bandwidth (esp bass) and refinement, but HE60 fights back with more "fun" punchy sound and a bit more Grado-like upfrontness, which I enjoy.

As far as OII being "so much better" than HE90, I disagree even more with that, but I guess we will never know since no one has heard OII out of a good-enough amp that you keep saying is required.

The He-60 is indeed more fun and that's why I'm finally going to buy one... and that I'm a compulsive collector...
tongue.gif
Neither of the Sennheiser models can come close to the SR-007 in raw performance and neutrality. I have grown to like the He90 but the Sr-007 is much more true to the source and there lies it's biggest flaw. It's so picky about system matching it isn't even funny. Either of the HE's or the SR-Ω are much more relaxed about the system as a whole but none of them are as neutral and natural. Whether you like that is a whole other matter but the upgrades the SR-007 has forced me to make on my system have been a huge improvement and killed my need to try out new cables and tubes.

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 43
A couple of observations about HE60 sound I hadn't realized before.

Any good electrostat is expected to be very revealing of upstream source/components, which HE60 is, but what surprised me after listening to many garden-variety mass-produced pop/rock/progressive albums is how forgiving HE60 can be of "bad recordings."

You can hear every compressor, limiter, EQ effect in the recording, yet the whole presentation remains relatively musical and pleasing and not grating b/c there are no undue peaks and resonances in upper ranges and b/c even amusical sounds appear and disappear with life-like (i.e. so fast it doesn't sound fast) transients. In fact, I think HE60 is the most forgiving 'phone in my collection, including K701, K1000, and K240 Sextett!

This is great news for me b/c my other reference K1000 is NOT forgiving of bad recordings at all, though it has its own set of different strengths.

The other sound character that delights me can only be described as "delicacy" of sound. I've only heard this effect with good electrostats, and even great non-stats don't have it, be it K1000, L3000, HP1000, AD2000, balanced HD6xx, etc. I believe this results from extremely light diaphragm under total control, resulting in near-perfect launch, sustain, and decay of notes. I've heard similar effects in past with great electrostat speakers such as Martin Logan CLSIIz.

I think this one is a keeper; maybe I'll hand'em down to my kids, and their kids later on
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 43
The transformers in the SRD-7 are helping you quite a bit in making the He60's forgiving. The sound is less edgy and more relaxed while retaining the strengths of the electrostatic principle. You do loose some detail compared to a very good dedicated amp but it's noting to worry about. Rewiring the adapter with some nice soft silver will make it even better with more musicality and detail at the same time.

'Stats are impossible to beat when it comes to reproducing both large and small sounds at the same time, though magneto-planars are also pretty good but nowhere near as good. This is indeed because of the complete push-pull control of the diaphragm and it's lightness. This control only increases when the amp has more power at it's disposal so it can deliver more voltage and especially more current when needed. There is a reason why I love 'stats this much... ;p

Btw. I'm finally going to buy a Baby Orpheus.
biggrin.gif
I've tried a few sets over the years but I think it's time to finally add it to the collection.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw. I'm finally going to buy a Baby Orpheus.
biggrin.gif
I've tried a few sets over the years but I think it's time to finally add it to the collection.

Heheh. Now that I have the SRD7 MkII with both Pro and Normal bias jacks, I probably will be buying some (Gulp!) Stax electrostats to begin the electrostat collection madness. Probably start with some Lambda xxx, then.. Maybe one of those Headphile woodied Lambda's if I can find one.

Anyway, I tested the HE60 with Stereophile Test CD's, and there is pretty useful output at 30Hz, then rapid nothingness at 20Hz. This may be limitations of my single-ended amp, but at any rate, I usually consider 30Hz extension to be "good enough" for my type of music, with speakers or headphones.

Another great discovery with HE60 is just how WUNderful they are with classical music, be it solo, chamber, or orchestral. I had previously thought K1000 was my classical music reference can, but the scary instrumental tonal authenticity and what I can only call "insight" into the orchestral tapestry and texture is just mind-boggling with the HE60. It just sounds so effortlessly revealing and natural while others struggle to balance the bite of the string with body of the wood.

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Heheh. Now that I have the SRD7 MkII with both Pro and Normal bias jacks, I probably will be buying some (Gulp!) Stax electrostats to begin the electrostat collection madness. Probably start with some Lambda xxx, then.. Maybe one of those Headphile woodied Lambda's if I can find one.

You need some Lambdas, if not just for the different perspective. I would recommend the normal bias SR-Lambda as a first buy.

I hope the He60 will be here soon and then there is only one high end electrostatic headphone I don't have...
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Anyway, I tested the HE60 with Stereophile Test CD's, and there is pretty useful output at 30Hz, then rapid nothingness at 20Hz. This may be limitations of my single-ended amp, but at any rate, I usually consider 30Hz extension to be "good enough" for my type of music, with speakers or headphones.

Another great discovery with HE60 is just how WUNderful they are with classical music, be it solo, chamber, or orchestral. I had previously thought K1000 was my classical music reference can, but the scary instrumental tonal authenticity and what I can only call "insight" into the orchestral tapestry and texture is just mind-boggling with the HE60. It just sounds so effortlessly revealing and natural while others struggle to balance the bite of the string with body of the wood.

The do extend quite low, although not as low as the Stax models, but it's the lack of bass information that bothers me. This is a function of the driver design but on some recordings there is only the deep stuff you can here but bass information at a slightly higher frequency is lost. When you know it's there it starts to eat at you... ;p

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #21 of 43

good equipment, but need to upgrade the camera!
wink.gif

I am lucky to have a chance to own both O2 and HE90 at the same time and running them out of the same Amp - KGSS DX. I will have to say HE90 is far more superior over all albeit at much higher price though. The mid range recess of O2 is a deal killer for me. Even though all the details are there but the way O2 presents them is not to my taste. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the O2 and the 'flaw' is very very minor and you will have to be very picky and A/B'ing to notice it.

I'd love to keep either but not both
lambda.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #22 of 43
If you heard a midrange recess with the SR-007 then your set must have been broken or fitted your head in an odd way. While the midrange is no way dominant like with so many es phones (esp's?) it is the purest and most breathtaking I've ever heard. The only phone that comes close is the SR-Ω with the He90 a distant third along with the He60. In the end we do all hear differently, like most people don't hear just how bad the Lambda Pro's are. Now there's a midrange recess...
eek.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

A couple of observations about HE60 sound I hadn't realized before.

Any good electrostat is expected to be very revealing of upstream source/components, which HE60 is, but what surprised me after listening to many garden-variety mass-produced pop/rock/progressive albums is how forgiving HE60 can be of "bad recordings."

You can hear every compressor, limiter, EQ effect in the recording, yet the whole presentation remains relatively musical and pleasing and not grating b/c there are no undue peaks and resonances in upper ranges and b/c even amusical sounds appear and disappear with life-like (i.e. so fast it doesn't sound fast) transients. In fact, I think HE60 is the most forgiving 'phone in my collection, including K701, K1000, and K240 Sextett!

This is great news for me b/c my other reference K1000 is NOT forgiving of bad recordings at all, though it has its own set of different strengths.

The other sound character that delights me can only be described as "delicacy" of sound. I've only heard this effect with good electrostats, and even great non-stats don't have it, be it K1000, L3000, HP1000, AD2000, balanced HD6xx, etc. I believe this results from extremely light diaphragm under total control, resulting in near-perfect launch, sustain, and decay of notes. I've heard similar effects in past with great electrostat speakers such as Martin Logan CLSIIz.

I think this one is a keeper; maybe I'll hand'em down to my kids, and their kids later on
smily_headphones1.gif

"Forgivingness" is definitely an issue with less than perfect sources. My impression is that this is mostly a question of high frequnecy response. Too much and you will hear all the high frequency hash in bad recordings. Of course with well-recorded, balanced or non- high frequency EQ'd recordings, an electrostatic with substantial hf (such as a 404) will sound great.

I think that some of the earlier Stax Lambdas (e.g I have a Lambda Nova) are more forgiving than say the 404. Also the various Stax Sigmas tend to be forgiving, because of their attenuated HF. Of course so is the SR001/003 but maybe a bit too forgiving.

Even the Koss 950 run off a Stax amp is, in my hearing, more forgiving than the 404.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...light=koss+950

Given that neither the HE 60, Sigma or low bias Lambdas are being made anymore, anyon wanted to explore this type of phone may want to check out the Koss/Stax set-up.

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #28 of 43
Great sources and transducers are more forgiving then lesser models. They look past the flaws and present the music as a whole rather then pinpoint some annoying flaw and magnify it. This has little to do with the HF response but it's rather the sound signature as a whole.

The Nova Signature isn't really forgiving rather then boring and while the He60 has its flaws it's a much better headphone then any of the Lambdas. The treble is smooth and with only a hint of an edge compared to the obvious coloration present in any Lambda model. Now if you would take the 404 drivers and put them into something half-way decent it would be a close race...

I have to get a recabled ESP950 soon...
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyon wanted to explore this type of phone may want to check out the Koss/Stax set-up.

I was thinking about the Koss, too, but I have heard others say the Koss actually sounds *better* out of the Koss amp than Stax amps, which makes it suspect out of my SRD-7 MkII/Almarro combo..

Quote:

Originally Posted by unkle11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG that looks amazing, bet they sound amazing too, where'd you get those stands?

I believe that "stand" is the towel hanger from Bed Bath & Beyond
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #30 of 43
I had the opportunity to hear Milkpowder's HE60 the last time we met up. Its a fine headphone which I preferred to the Lambda but was a second to the O2. I actually thought it closer to the AMT in tonality although I'd love to have some more listening time in the future.

That woody pair looks so awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back