Baby Orpheus HE60 Appreciation Thread
Sep 15, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking about the Koss, too, but I have heard others say the Koss actually sounds *better* out of the Koss amp than Stax amps, which makes it suspect out of my SRD-7 MkII/Almarro combo..

The E90 is a horrible design like all other Koss energizers so that individual must have some very odd preferences or is really deaf...
blink.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #34 of 43
So JonL, are you still as satisfied now as you were a month ago when you first received your HE60s?

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #35 of 43
Just got back from Alex AK[zip] my HE60 with new STAX replug. Finally get chance to listen to this baby O.

Very good! sounds much much cleaner than any dynamic cans. This is the utter most intriguing characteristic of Electrostat! It's hard to describe in words. Both DT880 and SA5000 are very detailed and clean, but they both sound 'muddy' comparing to HE60. The bass is relatively light weight, similar to DT880. The female vocal is extremely natural/neutral/realistic, beautiful!!!

Replug_HE60_90005.jpg

Aug 15, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #36 of 43
looks very nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

i have the same coming to me soon. the HE60 is certainly an excellent headphone. it's not polished or refined, has a smallish sound stage, and of course lacks the texture and impact of dynamics (but all stats suffer in that regard) but it is an incredibly engaging/enjoyable headphone and hard to take off once its captured your attention. i also find that it does well with most genres - classical to rock. to be honest, its shortcomings only become apparent in comparison to something like the HE90 or O2. if not for them, one could live in near ignorant bliss that they have the very best there is to offer (or close to it).

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and of course lacks the texture and impact of dynamics (but all stats suffer in that regard)

Huh? Have you ever listened to a good electrostatic rig?

Edit: Just looked at the gear in your sig file. Something is very wrong in your electrostatic rig if you think that dynamic cans have better texture and impact. In particular, electrostatic headphones excel at fine detail and texture. They might lack impact if the amp doesn't have enough power for the headphone, but a good amp should let an electrostatic can shine.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #38 of 43
I certainly never experienced that with the HE60 and Blue Hawaii, even a lowly non-SE version, and xf3 Mullards, not even xf2.

Aug 15, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something is very wrong in your electrostatic rig if you think that dynamic cans have better texture and impact. In particular, electrostatic headphones excel at fine detail and texture.

that hasn't been my experience.

there seems to be more body, texture, resonance of instruments (or however you want to phrase it) with dynamics over electrostatics, and by "impact" i mean bass impact. have yet to experience a stat on par with L3000 or PS1 bass quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly never experienced that with the HE60 and Blue Hawaii, even a lowly non-SE version, and xf3 Mullards, not even xf2.

what does the "that" refer to.

Aug 15, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

what does the "that" refer to.

Lack of texture and dynamics in the electrostatic. I have the closest heads up apples to oranges comparison possible between the two (HE60 vs HD6x0, both balanced) and the margins are very slim. the bass on the HE60 is a small bit less, and the vocals (especially female) MUCH richer.

Could be 'my rig / taste / hearing processing', but just not at all my experience. And, I have heard virtually every big league can, with big league source and big league amp, and matched with synergy betwixt them.

Slam is something else entirely, and, not all music is about slam. Drowning Pool / Tool / Hoobastank / Godsmack still sounds amazing on 'stats, even with not the best amp, though understood that this criticism is fair on underpowered amps.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lack of texture and dynamics in the electrostatic. I have the closest heads up apples to oranges comparison possible between the two (HE60 vs HD6x0, both balanced) and the margins are very slim. the bass on the HE60 is a small bit less, and the vocals (especially female) MUCH richer.

Could be 'my rig / taste / hearing processing', but just not at all my experience. And, I have heard virtually every big league can, with big league source and big league amp, and matched with synergy betwixt them.

Slam is something else entirely, and, not all music is about slam. Drowning Pool / Tool / Hoobastank / Godsmack still sounds amazing on 'stats, even with not the best amp, though understood that this criticism is fair on underpowered amps.

i doubt my KGSS is underpowering my HE60. they seem pretty easy to drive. i will definitely be interested in comparing my HE60 (once i get it back from Alex) to my dynamics via an RSA B52 which i recently acquired. the bass i hear on headphones through this amp is astounding. i doubt something like that could be reproduced on electrostatics. music is not all about "slam" but bass quality is an area where i find dynamics - L3000 and PS1, for example - to excel at and which i find in comparison to be somewhat lacking on electrostatics. the best bass quality i have heard on a stat was from the HE 1.3 - better than the HE60 (easily) and O2, which has good quantity although mixed quality.

as for texture, when i use this word i refer to body and resonance (among other things). when i compared my HE60 to a balanced HP2 through my Apache, the latter had more body to it and the sound of the HE60 seemed thinner. that to me is part of texture - lacking that weight or layering. as for resonance, a good example is when i compared the HE60 through the HEV90 to an R10 via a Cary 300 SEI while listening to violin concertos by Bach. on the R10 there was greater decay on the violin. you could hear the strings resonate. on the HE60 and even HE90, this aspect was was not as noticeable.

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #42 of 43
HE60's bass impact certainly can't compare with L3000 or PS-1, not even HD600 or SA5000. It is more to the level of stock 250Ohm DT880. The HE60's bass sounds a bit "smaller" for lack of words.

Texture wise, HE60 is very good besides very deep bass. In direct comparison with HD600, SA5000, DT880, HE60's vocal is just soooooo right tonally and in details. The treble is a little more pronounced but less so than DT880. Again there is something about Electrostats' sound that is hard to describe -- so clean and separated between each other (versus congested) that I am truly love!

HE60 is one of the cans that I can keep forever
smily_headphones1.gif
A marvel of engineering and music taste.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

i doubt my KGSS is underpowering my HE60. they seem pretty easy to drive. i will definitely be interested in comparing my HE60 (once i get it back from Alex) to my dynamics via an RSA B52 which i recently acquired. the bass i hear on headphones through this amp is astounding. i doubt something like that could be reproduced on electrostatics. music is not all about "slam" but bass quality is an area where i find dynamics - L3000 and PS1, for example - to excel at and which i find in comparison to be somewhat lacking on electrostatics. the best bass quality i have heard on a stat was from the HE 1.3 - better than the HE60 (easily) and O2, which has good quantity although mixed quality.

You are going to love the Stax retermination - it will make quite a difference. I do look forward to your comparison impressions, and hope to have some of the balanced Bijou / hd6x0 vs HE60 / BH.

Agreed the KGSS is plenty to drive the HE60, but there is a monster KGSS coming from Luvdunhill that takes KGSS into KGSS Max land. Just breathtaking,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back