BA-200 vs EPH 100 vs FXT90 - Help Me Decide Please!
Mar 23, 2013 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MrMonte

Head-Fier
Hello,

Based on the great advice I have received here, I've purchased a couple sub-100 dollar IEMs recently and I am breaking them in and enjoying them. I'll report back shortly. At the same time, three IEMs have repeatedly surfaced in the "if you could just spend a little more" category, which are the JVC FXT90, the TDK BA 200, and the Yamaha EPH-100s. I've decided to give it a shot and consider raising the budget, but it's not an easy decision and I want to get it right. I have done a lot of research here and elsewhere and I've been able to narrow it down to these three (with the GR-07 as a remote possibility though it's more expensive).

In other threads I've talked about what I am looking for: a warm, almost lush sound; strong but NOT overpowering bass (I'm not a basshead). No overpowering mids - slightly recessed vocals. And at the same time, I don't want to sacrifice detail at the high end - I like the complete range.  I like IEMs that are punchy - where you feel, and not just hear, the music. is all that asking too much? :)

Music - Stones, classic rock,live music, strong drum sounds as I am a drummer, some Sparks and Genesis as well. Old Genesis that is - love to get that detail from the Peter Gabriel days. Love a good drum sound. A great song for me to test IEMs with is Enter Sandman by Metallica.

Do listen also to some KD Lang, country swing and classic country, and occassionally some classical.

I do tend to favor dynamic over balanced armatures, and I have a concern about the BA-200, which was my favorite, due to it being over the ear, which isn't something I find easy to deal with. 

Thanks to those who have helped me before, and thanks in advance for your insights as I move beyond the $100.00 threshold.

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 4
If over ear fit is an issue, you can cross out the BA200 from your list. Between the EPH100 and FXT90, you would like the FXT90 more. They have everything you want, especially the liveliness and energy that lets you feel the music. Compared to the FXT90, the EPH100 are laid back and not as engaging, and you may find their bass overpowering and their highs not crisp enough for rock. If you are open to other choices, I would strongly recommend the Audio Technica CKN70. They are newer and sound even better than the FXT90.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 4
IMO these to two IEMs(Klipsch image X10, JVC FX500) fit your requirements, X10 has realy warm klipsch signature sound and drums sound so god on these( Custom 3 are even better overall for drums) and bass is realy deep reverbing and effortless yet still heavy and don't cover others frequencies at all, mids are detailed, vocal sound good and highs are very detailed, extended on these. JVC FX500 are also warm sounding with deep reverbing heavy bass, crisp clear mids, extended highs and wide soundstage.BTW from OP list FXT90 are great wam sopunding IEMs but bass punch is average( many may feel soft in bass region but adding small AMPs like Fiio E6 will help lot), EPH100 are great buy too due to warm sounding, strong bass, great imaging, soundstage and good mids, highs.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 4
The x-10s are on amazon for under 100. I take it you would adviae me to scoop them up?

IMO these to two IEMs(Klipsch image X10, JVC FX500) fit your requirements, X10 has realy warm klipsch signature sound and drums sound so god on these( Custom 3 are even better overall for drums) and bass is realy deep reverbing and effortless yet still heavy and don't cover others frequencies at all, mids are detailed, vocal sound good and highs are very detailed, extended on these. JVC FX500 are also warm sounding with deep reverbing heavy bass, crisp clear mids, extended highs and wide soundstage.BTW from OP list FXT90 are great wam sopunding IEMs but bass punch is average( many may feel soft in bass region but adding small AMPs like Fiio E6 will help lot), EPH100 are great buy too due to warm sounding, strong bass, great imaging, soundstage and good mids, highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back