B&W P5 Mods
Dec 11, 2017 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Maxx134

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,
I am the father of many Headphone mods.
I will finally be releasing mods to public every week or so on different headphones.
I do not have time to explain or respond right away, but will try my best.

Today am going to upload the pics for everyone to mod their P5 into the MOST SLEEK OVER EAR,
And large sounding (like a P7) portable.

This mod will transform your "on ear" P5v2 into an over ear headphone with thr sleekest proportions and with the largest sound.

I picked the P5 (s2) as one of the highest quality constructed portables...

But its "on ear" design sucks and it totally hides the true potential of these cans.

No longer..
Get the over ear pads from either ebay or Amazon I will link below next post..

I owned two p7 as one broke on me and bought another for parts.

That's how I know the similar P5 driver has same potential to be similarly ported on bottom,
instead of being all covered up and muted.

The bottom open corners in pic are the simulated P7 ports,
and you adjust those two bottom openings to your bass liking...

Here are the photos:
Rip grill off to expose port holes:
ZgJMMiz.jpg

They actually were covered by a yellow foam inside that you will be throwing away into the garbage.

Don't worry as new pad covers and protects your newly naked driver:
nNC4uQ8.jpg

Don't do what I did and touch the middle with your finger(ha).
Then you will need tape to pop up the middle dome..

Ok next..
Next rip off rear ugly yellow foam suffocating the driver:
UAJ33YM.jpg

Make tiny holes with a toothpick(non metal) for this driver to actually breath.
Careful not to stick anything deep .

Place a tiny piece of dymamat (optional) on rear middle plastic for less euphoric resonance
5nN5rzi.jpg

This pic actually shows me testing a larger piece which didn't fit and proved unnecessary,
So only put a tiny piece!

Last step:
Place the "paper tape" around the driver like this:
rW8D1gd.jpg

Notice I left bottom corners open.

It is Open just like the port that the P7 has:
j01uuKZ.jpg

Notice the texture of the tape.
It is neither plastic or nylon.
It is soft paper type that is breathable, and find in pharmacy where the band-aid section is.
Get the best PAPER tape.

So have final result like this:
WvnYSbG.jpg

Adjust the bottom holes in pic,
to however you like your bass.
Then close up and enjoy new P5 sound!
It is a larger clearer sound than stock.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 15
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #3 of 15
awesome Mod! I have the P5 WIRELESS Version.

in that Version there is a platine cover up the yellow foam to the half. See picture..

JTSYyDul.jpg

UPDATE:

I could remove the platine! Looks like pretty the same as the non wireless version.

l3BDkhO.jpg

The only difference is maybe the green marked / non hole as at your version!? Should i remove it? Then i let the holes at the bottom open... same procedure as the non Wirless version.

thank you.

script>

JTSYyDu

CTWyi

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 15
Yes open those green circled areas and then YOU can adjust with tape how much to be covered or open.
More open equals more bass to a certain extent.

The tiny holes I made are covered with the paper tape so it is similarly covered ,
But the paper tape is softer and more porous than the stock existing white paper..

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 15
Remember to cover those top corners with the tape!Capture+_2017-12-12-10-59-10.png

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 15
iSHjkbk.jpg

P5 mod on left,
P7 with AT pads on right.

Next pic better comparison:
x69JKYa.jpg

P5 on right side.
:)

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 15
Okay, i let the two holes at the bottom half Open. The green marked closed with Paper tape. Just like your mod. was that wrong?

Will post it public tonight.
It is not wrong if you like as is.
For more bass control you would also carefully peel off that section to expose it open,
And adjust opening with paper tape..

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 15
So my Mod at the P5 Wireless is finish! Thank you very much @Maxx134 you safe me 100 euros to the P7. Im very happy with the result. It sounds like I`m live or in the studio! A lot of bigger Stage and clear dynamic sound. Also the Instruments can be better located. Highly recommend it to everyone with a p5. (For other I use white Paper Tape called "3M Micropore".)

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 15
Hi, today I modded my P5's. The first listen left me really unsatisfied. The voices appeared to be very recessed and distorted. However, everything seems to have broken in and I am looking forward to A/B-ing them to an unmodded pair.

One question regarding the grill: What is the purpose of ripping it off? Is it for opening up those bass ports. If so, does it improve anything beyond the quantity of bass? For now I left the grills on because I am scared of my pads coming off in a bag leaving the precious driver unprotected. Looking forward to your reply!

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #11 of 15
Hi readandshine, bad to hear that you are not satisfied with your modd! Have you everything done as in the describtion? I put my grill away i think due to the Earpads it`s enough safe. Do you use medical tape? Im planning to sell my P5`s Wireless.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 15
For now I left the grills on because I am scared of my pads coming off in a bag leaving the precious driver unprotected. Looking forward to your reply!
Yes you are correct we need access for bass ports, plus the metal grill was made poorly as the holes are small making alot of reflection and you will hear immediate difference in clarity once they are off.
The speakers are VERY stiff type of "paper" (biocelulous type),
and durable enough to touch and tape them.
They are not delicate like most plastic drivers in headphones today..

Im planning to sell my P5`s Wireless
I never liked any wireless type headphones,
And although there are always many portable headphones being made.

If you check my sig,
You will see I have had many others but currently settled on the Denon mm400 which I have modded.
It has the newest biocelulous type driver while still being lower cost than a B&W P9 ,
And it is angled like the Ultrasone ED5.
To me it is the best portable after this moded P5.

I cannot recommend the Sine or the Hifiman Ed S as both of their headbands failed on me.

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 15
Sounds great now! As an unexpected bonus the glue residue keeps the replacement ear pads neatly in place. Before I modded my pair they used to fall off. Once I almost had it run over by a car. Saved it last second, though, before my friend drove off. For now my P5's are slim enough - no need for the car mod at present :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back