B&W P5 Modifications
Jan 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #31 of 86
It's not like ears are completely cone-shaped, so it should't make a difference under the right circumstances, that could be the reason the sound varies when PUTTING THEM ON IN DIFFERENT POSITIONS

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #34 of 86
I just picked up a new set of P5s and the foam pattern looks different from the pre-mod photo at the top of this thread (less foam and no protrusions beyond the plastic rim).  Perhaps B&W has revised the design?  Either that, or I'm missing something!

At any rate, I'm enjoying the P5s so far.

Travis

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #35 of 86
I just picked up a new set of P5s and the foam pattern looks different from the pre-mod photo at the top of this thread (less foam and no protrusions beyond the plastic rim).  Perhaps B&W has revised the design?  Either that, or I'm missing something!

At any rate, I'm enjoying the P5s so far.

Travis

Oh wow... Definitely nothing like mine. I guess they changed the earpads after getting some bad initial rep... You should still try putting a makeup remover pad in the top cavity... It seems like they haven't filled it from the pictures you posted.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #37 of 86
I just copped a new (minus the box) pair for $210 on eBay.  They have the new pad style and sound great.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #39 of 86
Hah looks like the engineers at B&W came to the same conclusions as me regarding the 'veiling' of the sound! 
atsmile.gif

That's pretty cool...I guess this modification has become obsolete now already hah!

I might contact B&W and ask how much the replacement pads are...

PJ

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #41 of 86

Quote:
Hah looks like the engineers at B&W came to the same conclusions as me regarding the 'veiling' of the sound! 
atsmile.gif

That's pretty cool...I guess this modification has become obsolete now already hah!

PJ

Quote:
Maybe I'll ask for a replacement set...

I've contacted B&W before for spares after I tore one of the awfully made C5 tips. They were quite resilient to the idea (I was told to stop being so heavy handed), but if you're polite and persuasive you should get the goods. 

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #42 of 86
atsmile.gif

PJ

I already contacted the. Replacement pads are 21$ + shipping (I think they charge shipping?)
Regardless, I sold my bowers because I want to upgrade to some Edition 8s >=D

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #43 of 86

Quote:
I already contacted the. Replacement pads are 21$ + shipping (I think they charge shipping?)
Regardless, I sold my bowers because I want to upgrade to some Edition 8s >=D

That's a harsh jump, and even if they are beautiful I wouldn't want to have a sound below the senn or the stax

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #44 of 86
I don't listen to music enough at home to warrant a home setup. I've considered getting a koda2 (modded t50rp) and a nice desktop amp/dac combo but in the end I wouldn't use it as much as a pair of edition 8s.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #45 of 86
I don't listen to music enough at home to warrant a home setup. I've considered getting a koda2 (modded t50rp) and a nice desktop amp/dac combo but in the end I wouldn't use it as much as a pair of edition 8s.

Also in terms of awesome portable phones choices are limited and there's a big void between the 300$ price point and the 1000$ price point... also, IEMs definitely don't agree with my ears... maybe custom IEMs but that's a different story and I don't feel like spending the time and money just to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back