B&W P5 Headphones - "Coming Soon"
Feb 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #92 of 100
Oh come on! Hifi Corner are still only advertising them at the same price as the Apple Store. This is turning into the longest wait for Christmas ever!

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #93 of 100
Jeez, I heard that they would be releasing these in January, but here comes March and they still aren't out yet. I wonder how they will compare with similar offerings from Senn. and Grado.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #94 of 100
I just want to know if they leak any sound.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #96 of 100
Reviews are looking good so far on the apple website, but when will they show up in the states? The flagship store in San Francisco didn't know, but, frankly, I didn't really expect them to, but I figured I'd ask.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #97 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matro5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reviews are looking good so far on the apple website, but when will they show up in the states? The flagship store in San Francisco didn't know, but, frankly, I didn't really expect them to, but I figured I'd ask.

According to a B&W rep I spoke to, March 23rd.

Jeff

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #98 of 100
After seeing more photos of these and the size I am really interested in how these stack up against some of the favored smaller closed headphones available at different price points. Smaller, semi-portible, closed, isolating headphones.

At the $100 Level:
Sennheiser HD-280, Sony MDR-7506, Shure SRH-440

At the $200+ Level:
Beyerdynamic DT 250, HD-380, Shure SRH840, Sony MDR-7509HD

From the looks and description of the B&W's i'm willing to pay 50-100 for the design, look, comfort, and appointments provided its all "there". I am looking for these to perform at a level that at least puts them in competition (unamped) with some of the $200 level options and also has clear sonic attributes that set it apart from the $100 options (unamped).

You have to keep in mind that these are B&W so while you are paying for sound quality, you also are paying some for design, aestetics, appointments, etc. Personally I am looking for this to be a great feeling/looking closed semi-portable option for unamped listening that sounds as good as options available at the $200 level.

Wait on...

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #99 of 100
I had an extended listen at The Apple Store. I want to reserve opinion till I get to try them amped. Out of a nano they needed the volume maxed and felt under-driven. They leak a bit of high frequency noise, so I could hear the tizz of cymbals whist an Apple employee braved The Cure at high volume.

They are very comfortable and I liked the way you could wear them either way round, so the cable is either to your left or right. There is no left or right marked on the headphones.

For £250 you are paying for the lovely design and quality of build. Sound, well they are good, but I have heard just as good for much less. I would describe the overall sound as neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back