B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Mar 17, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #1,411 of 1,671
No problem installing. There is an extra tab, but once you align, then with just slight pressure it pushes on and pads screwed in.

I used a dremel tool to grind the extra tabs off, just a quick touch with the sandpaper wheel was all it took since it’s soft plastic. But as others have said, they’ll go on as-is with a bit of encouragement.

Ryan

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #1,412 of 1,671
Just received my pair this Friday and they popped on without any problem
Definitely thicker - however they are also smaller circumference so if you have larger ears...

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,413 of 1,671
Just received my h9i which is also my first (decent) closed-back headphones.

I was wondering: does anyone also experience "vascular" noise (noise emitting from your body), even when it's powered off? Turning ANC on seems to cancel it out as well.

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,414 of 1,671
Just received my h9i which is also my first (decent) closed-back headphones.

I was wondering: does anyone also experience "vascular" noise (noise emitting from your body), even when it's powered off? Turning ANC on seems to cancel it out as well.
Curious if you ever found any information on the "vascular" noise issue. I am trying so hard to find nice a pair of closed back Bluetooth headphones that do not have this issue. It may be that I just cannot use them. Started following this thread with the H9 went on sale recently and saw your comment. So far have tried the ATH-M50xBT Wireless and Sony WH-1000XM3 and ended up returning both.

Apr 14, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #1,415 of 1,671
Curious if you ever found any information on the "vascular" noise issue. I am trying so hard to find nice a pair of closed back Bluetooth headphones that do not have this issue. It may be that I just cannot use them. Started following this thread with the H9 went on sale recently and saw your comment. So far have tried the ATH-M50xBT Wireless and Sony WH-1000XM3 and ended up returning both.

Definitely not an expert on any level, but I suspect that better passive-isolated headphones will always have this problem, so it could be inherent to the closed-back design. I compare it to anechoic rooms which also allows you to hear all the noises that your body emits: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes-180948160/ . How Active Noise Cancellation manages to cancel out your body noises (as I experience) & not only outside noise -> that's beyond me :) I have been looking for articles to explain this, but did not manage to find a source on this.

Again, I'm sure that other people are better positioned to give a reasonable explanation.

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #1,416 of 1,671
Definitely not an expert on any level, but I suspect that better passive-isolated headphones will always have this problem, so it could be inherent to the closed-back design. I compare it to anechoic rooms which also allows you to hear all the noises that your body emits: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes-180948160/ . How Active Noise Cancellation manages to cancel out your body noises (as I experience) & not only outside noise -> that's beyond me :) I have been looking for articles to explain this, but did not manage to find a source on this.

Again, I'm sure that other people are better positioned to give a reasonable explanation.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately for me the noise canceling does not seem to help with this. I will probably just need to stick with IEM and open backs.

May 4, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,417 of 1,671
Just tried the 2019 version update, the "New" H9.-- B&O went back to the H9 name in this latest release.
Went to a local dealer where I went to compare my H9 again to the H9i. He showed me the new H9 (has google voice button, different color combo (sand/bronze(gold)) variant or the black.
Could not really tell the difference in sound or ANC but the transparency mode was definitely superior. However, my needs for WebEx calls all day, Travel via plane etc- I just picked up the H9i's for a steal.

So now I have both the H9 and H9i, guess I can sell the H9's or gift them to a family member.

Anyway- followers here, the 2019 new H9 should be out next week he advised.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #1,418 of 1,671
Just tried the 2019 version update, the "New" H9.-- B&O went back to the H9 name in this latest release.
Went to a local dealer where I went to compare my H9 again to the H9i. He showed me the new H9 (has google voice button, different color combo (sand/bronze(gold)) variant or the black.
Could not really tell the difference in sound or ANC but the transparency mode was definitely superior. However, my needs for WebEx calls all day, Travel via plane etc- I just picked up the H9i's for a steal.

So now I have both the H9 and H9i, guess I can sell the H9's or gift them to a family member.

Anyway- followers here, the 2019 new H9 should be out next week he advised.
https://fccid.io/NCC/CCAF19LP051AT0

May 16, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #1,420 of 1,671
I guess everyone is different but I see this much like mobile phones with user replaceable batteries - largely pointless. In most cases batteries are manufacturer serviceable, and realistically are you going to keep that device long enough (and use enough charge cycles) to require the need for a replacement anyway.

If the upside - as it seems - with this new version is a longer battery life then I’ll take that over the ability to self replace a battery.

May 16, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,421 of 1,671
May 23, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,422 of 1,671
There seems to be a new software update for the H9i (5.0.7) making it possible to turn the proximity sensor on/off with the app. I updated it. When I turn on the headphone now, it makes a new sound (like 4 peeps in different tonalities) and the little light stays red all the time. Did anyone else do the update and do you have the same? Seems weird that a red light is staying on now, can't remember this being the case with any of the previous models. Besides that, turning out the proximity sensor with the app seem to work totally fine as the update describes.

May 23, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #1,424 of 1,671
New firmware for the H9 3rd Gen today too. 5.0.1 - changes just listed as fixes.

Be interesting to see if the new H9i firmware changes the sound signature at all or whether it fixes any of the long standing issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back