B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Aug 23, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,246 of 1,671
Either this is a codec , software version, or placebo issue.

I’m betting more on placebo.

Let’s take me for instance, I’ve always thought the H9i was fatiguing but I took a break and went on a cruise, currently typing from the middle of the Caribbean and the sound that is coming out of these is unlike what I’ve heard before. Treble feels so much better!

Mabye it’s the environment or the noise that drowns out the treble but I’m betting as soon as I get back home to a quiet library it will get annoying again.

Environment plays a huge factor in acoustics, don’t forget my friends.

Nah, not placebo. I had to return the previous pair due to extreme fatigue. I'm listening to this new pair in the same environment as I did the last pair, and it is nowhere near fatiguing.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,249 of 1,671
That's interesting. Assuming there were no changes to your hearing, this leads me to believe it's more an issue with the drivers vs. the source device over BT for the particular issue you're describing. The reason I say this, is the numerous reports, to varying degrees, of QC issues with this particular model. Although I have no direct proof and can only base my assumptions on my personal experience and online reviews, I do believe there were multiple companies B&O contracted with to produce parts, leading to QC inconsistencies.
Bluetooth sources do make a difference. In terms of V-shaping, it does exist in the iPhone X. This is probably why we’re feeling the sharp hiss from the H9i. If you don’t believe me, try connecting your Bluetooth headphones to different generations of iPhones. As you go back to previous gens, you’ll most likely feel like the sound becomes more and more dull. People argue that Bluetooth headphones should all sound the same no matter what because the amplifier is on-board, but how do you explain the super obvious difference between one from a Mac and one from an iPhone (assuming both are on AAC)?

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #1,250 of 1,671
Bluetooth sources do make a difference. In terms of V-shaping, it does exist in the iPhone X. This is probably why we’re feeling the sharp hiss from the H9i. If you don’t believe me, try connecting your Bluetooth headphones to different generations of iPhones. As you go back to previous gens, you’ll most likely feel like the sound becomes more and more dull. People argue that Bluetooth headphones should all sound the same no matter what because the amplifier is on-board, but how do you explain the super obvious difference between one from a Mac and one from an iPhone (assuming both are on AAC)?

Fair enough, I don't have a better explanation to the difference I've noticed, apart from the hardware itself coloring the sound.

Aug 24, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #1,251 of 1,671
Fair enough, I don't have a better explanation to the difference I've noticed, apart from the hardware itself coloring the sound.
Unless you're going to go full-on into research mode, it's one of those things you'll just accept.

While there are certainly many potential reasons, I still believe there are issues with H9i component quality consistency. Hardware is the most physical and obvious variable in the equation, so looking at all the reviews using a multitude of devices, repeated issues of a similar nature lead one to draw a reasonable opinion there are hardware variances. Unless we're deep in B&O management, all we can do is look at specific evidentiary information relating to the H9i.

Also, it's worth noting, there are clear perceptive differences from person to person. Some people may not notice, for example, a small amount of distortion, while others will absolutely notice. We all have different temperaments and personalities, so from a psychological perspective, certain stimuli will illicit varying results among a wide number users. The guy that returned 4 H9i until finding one that was "fine", definitely noticed issues with each of them, but many others may have only had and issue with 1 or 2, perhaps even none, of the 4. I tend to believe you DID hear a real difference, and in many cases, that difference is expressed by way of an emotive impression, which is more powerful than actually remembering the specific sound itself.

It's like looking at clouds. Some people may instantly perceive many different images or illustrative scenarios when looking at cloud formations, while others may only see 1 or none (perceive as only an abstract image).

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,253 of 1,671
Hi guys!

New to the forum and just bought the H9i's. I bought them to get the best overall headphone based on 4 criterias: Design, Comfort, ANC and Sound (I use headphones mainly at the office and for travel). I've tested the Bose QC35II, Sony WH-1000xm2, Bowers and Wilkins PX, Beats Studio 3 and the cheaper Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC to see if the difference is that great... it is!
To me the H9i are best overall (no audiophile) but...

I've read through this thread and from what I understand there are some quality issues that you would not expect in this price range and compared to similar headphones, my experience aswell.
I'm experiencing some issues, mostly with the ANC.
Mainly the hissing sound that others experience but also a high pitch tone, best described as a tinnitus ringing tone. This comes and goes so it is not constant.

I've been in contact with Beoplay customer service and they want me to send the headphones for service(1 week after purchase).

1. Have any of you had the same high pitch tone issue with the ANC?
2. And if anybody sent them to service for this or other reasons, have the problem been solved?
3. What do you think, could it be that headphones manufactured later are better then the first released?

I'm pending between returning them or sending them to service. I not ok with paying for a product that is not production ready.

Aug 27, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,254 of 1,671
Hi guys!

New to the forum and just bought the H9i's. I bought them to get the best overall headphone based on 4 criterias: Design, Comfort, ANC and Sound (I use headphones mainly at the office and for travel). I've tested the Bose QC35II, Sony WH-1000xm2, Bowers and Wilkins PX, Beats Studio 3 and the cheaper Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC to see if the difference is that great... it is!

I've read through this thread and from what I understand there are some quality issues that you would not expect in this price range and compared to similar headphones, my experience aswell.
Mainly the hissing sound that others experience but also a high pitch tone, best described as a tinnitus ringing tone. This comes and goes so it is not constant.

I've been in contact with Beoplay customer service and they want me to send the headphones for service(1 week after purchase).

2. And if anybody sent them to service for this or other reasons, have the problem been solved?
3. What do you think, could it be that headphones manufactured later are better then the first released?

I'm pending between returning them or sending them to service. I not ok with paying for a product that is not production ready.
My guy.... DO NOT SEND IN FOR SERVICE.

Whatever you do... DO NOT SEND IN FOR SERVICE.(under the presumption that you can still return)

The company reputation for customer service is HORRIBLE.... they will tell you it’s fine and then send it back to you.

If you have the option of returning RETURN

Edit: return get a new one. There’s also a chance of them giving you back a refurbished.

By the time they send the product back it will be out of your return period. So if they screw you over then you are finished

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,255 of 1,671
So I grabbed my Apple ipod off of the shelf, dusted it off and plugged it into my H9i's. I was immediately presented with the clearest and cleanest music with an enormous sound stage! The sound was unreal, I had to check which headphones I was wearing. We all get into this streaming of music and forget it is a compressed mess. The H9i's came to life!!!! They even sounded awesome even with ANC turned on. It is really hard to listen to them now streaming. Maybe Tidal?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #1,256 of 1,671
Hi guys!

I can only reply to your first and last question. I have owned two different pairs of the H9i's, and the first pair had some terrible treble, which caused me headaches. The new pair I have is pretty much perfect in that regard, and I've never come across the high pitch that you and others in here have mentioned. The difference in sound could be caused by the fact that I at first had the iPhone X, and now have a Galaxy S8.

The QC seems to be pretty hit or miss in though, so it wouldn't surprise me if later headphones are more consistent.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,257 of 1,671
My guy.... DO NOT SEND IN FOR SERVICE.

Whatever you do... DO NOT SEND IN FOR SERVICE.(under the presumption that you can still return)

The company reputation for customer service is HORRIBLE.... they will tell you it’s fine and then send it back to you.

If you have the option of returning RETURN

Edit: return get a new one. There’s also a chance of them giving you back a refurbished.

By the time they send the product back it will be out of your return period. So if they screw you over then you are finished
100% agree. If you are in a return period, always return. That pretty much goes for anything, unless of course the item is discontinued and there's no practical way to get another. I recently picked up the H9i (couple weeks ago) & the H8i (yesterday) and both had QC issues. The H8i seemed to have been exposed to heat and there was peeling/bubbling on some of the stickers that surround the ear cup (on the outer ring where the ear pads fasten). Also, that same side (right) the ear pad was loose and easily removed, in fact, it fell off just after I took the headphones off and rested them on my lap. The H8i actually felt really cheap, especially the plastic buttons; the middle multi-function button was soft and had no tactile feedback like the Vol +/- buttons. I've had the H7 and H9 and both did not suffer from what appears to be purely QC/build quality issues with their new run of headphones. I wouldn't be surprised if they contracted out to a different, cheaper manufacturer.

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,259 of 1,671
The people who don't hear the distortion: do you use a warmer personalized tonetouch? Because I don't have the distortion either when I drag the tonetouch quite towards ''warm''. I didn't make this clear earlier but distortion is there when the tonetouch is in the middle or somewhere the bright/excited (with ANC on, both wired and on bluetooth). This strengthens me in the suspicion that it's a software-related issue..

I have tried 3 H9i's now and all 3 had the exact same distortion on the song ''Like someone in love'' by Diana Krall, only with ANC on. I'm a bit puzzled as to what to do now. I sent my first H9i in for service, they sent me a new one back and told me that the one I sent had indeed a problem, but now the new one has the exact same problem and the showmodel I tried in the B&O store had the same thing as well.

Hi guys,

Thought I'd give you a small update regarding my H9i adventures since I hadn't posted anything in quite a while. With my latest H9i, my 3rd as described here above, I had the issue that the touch gestures stopped working (only play/pause would work) and every now and then the headphone would not respond when I'd turn it on or off (it occured like 5 times that I'd turn the headphone off but the white light would still be on). Furthermore, I had (once again) the distortion issue with this 3rd one and -for me - it was not fixed by the latest update, but since I was tired of the time and effort that I put in communicating this to B&O, I accepted that I'd have to live with sliding the Tonetouch slightly to the left to make the distortion go away. Of course, the unresponsiveness of the touch gestures made me return my 3rd H9i. As some have pointed out, I believe this is just very very poor quality consistency. For me it's unbelievable that there are so many and such a variety of issues with the quality consistency. I've experienced all the various issues that have been reported now in either of the 3 H9i's that I've had. The new one I got after returning my 3rd, was the apotheosis of consecutive quality issues because now for the first time: I do NOT have the S sound-distortion . Don't ask me why, how, what - I'm cannot not say that I am happy or relieved, it's just random luck.

In conclusion, my 4th Beoplay H9i seems to be the H9i that I was willing to pay 500 euros for in the very beginning. The inconsistencies are really a shame and to be they are unforgivable, I have not experienced this ever before. For now I am happy that I appear to have hit a good one, but the inconsistencies that (you and) I have been experiencing are just not OK in this price range. The only ''positive'' note I can place is that customer care was swift: they haven't rejected my request for a replacement procedure once....

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,260 of 1,671
Hi guys,

Thought I'd give you a small update regarding my H9i adventures since I hadn't posted anything in quite a while. With my latest H9i, my 3rd as described here above, I had the issue that the touch gestures stopped working (only play/pause would work) and every now and then the headphone would not respond when I'd turn it on or off (it occured like 5 times that I'd turn the headphone off but the white light would still be on). Furthermore, I had (once again) the distortion issue with this 3rd one and -for me - it was not fixed by the latest update, but since I was tired of the time and effort that I put in communicating this to B&O, I accepted that I'd have to live with sliding the Tonetouch slightly to the left to make the distortion go away. Of course, the unresponsiveness of the touch gestures made me return my 3rd H9i. As some have pointed out, I believe this is just very very poor quality consistency. For me it's unbelievable that there are so many and such a variety of issues with the quality consistency. I've experienced all the various issues that have been reported now in either of the 3 H9i's that I've had. The new one I got after returning my 3rd, was the apotheosis of consecutive quality issues because now for the first time: I do NOT have the S sound-distortion . Don't ask me why, how, what - I'm cannot not say that I am happy or relieved, it's just random luck.

In conclusion, my 4th Beoplay H9i seems to be the H9i that I was willing to pay 500 euros for in the very beginning. The inconsistencies are really a shame and to be they are unforgivable, I have not experienced this ever before. For now I am happy that I appear to have hit a good one, but the inconsistencies that (you and) I have been experiencing are just not OK in this price range. The only ''positive'' note I can place is that customer care was swift: they haven't rejected my request for a replacement procedure once....
I found that the H7, H8, and H9 all had a similar build and were of a consistent quality. Since I actually bought and sold the H7, H8, H9 twice each, mainly because I'm an addict and thought I could do without, but then decided I couldn't. The only one I still have is the H8. I digress...

Point being, all 6 headphones were all very consistent in terms of build quality, down to the fine details. The H8i and H9i have a different design and seem to use slightly lesser plastics and thinner leather on the earpads. In other words, it seems the component cost was reduced for the new models. The H8i in particular feels much cheaper than the H8 and does not have touch controls or a removable battery like the H8. The ANC is a bit better, but not by much. I wouldn't be surprised if they are using a new, cheaper company to manufacture. Overall, it seems like the new line was an effort a cost cutting to improve margins, more than improving the prior generation. Interesting that the H8 in Black, as of today, is more expensive than the H8i in Black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back