B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,231 of 1,671
Yeah, it's very disappointing. Would you give the support a reminder about your issue? Perhaps it speeds it up.
So they answered to me today. As to my troubles with AAC vs SBC nothing helpful on their side: "unpair and repair", "install latest firmware" which didn't help in the first place and I have described that. Anyway, as to my random pausing issue, which was related to me switching on the headphones while on my head, they replied I shouldn't have done so:

To fix the issue with the random pausing and playing, you need to remove the headphones from your head when turning them on otherwise the proximity senor will not work properly.
The proximity sensor calibrates when you first turn the headphones on. If you turn the headphones on when they are on your head, that will lead to dropouts and partial playback until removed from head. So you need to wait for the LED to go out, after turning the headset on and before putting them on your head. Doing this is very important and should fix the issues. Turning the headphones on after setting them on the head can prevent a good calibration of the proximity sensors and cause issues of conflicting pause/play commands to the headphones, thus causing bugs at the slightest movement of the head or when trying to operate the touch plate.

Maybe I am not helping you since you have switched the proximity sensor off and your issues might not be related to it.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,232 of 1,671
On the H9i, has anyone noticed a slightly higher suction effect from the left ear cup vs. the right? If so, I suspect it's because the right ear cup has all the ports that break any air tight seal.

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #1,233 of 1,671
OK, I ended up returning the H9i. Every time I remove the headphones with ANC on, there is a screeching sound, almost like mic feedback, that emanates from the left side. It does not do this with the ANC off. This obviously is an issue with the mic pickup on the left side, potentially combined with a more air-tight seal.

Another issue I was having, were "thumping" sounds coming from the left side when walking. Again, this was isolated to the left side, which leads me to believe the mic sensitivity was higher on the left side.

I paid $419 for the Natural H9i. I just ordered the Black H9 for $349 (Amazon Same-Day), so we'll see how those compare.

Aug 17, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #1,234 of 1,671
OK, so got the H9 and A/B with the H9i. To me, the sound of the H9 is more pleasing. Since I already have Bose & Sony for ANC, that's just a bonus for me. Differences based on my direct comparison with no EQ modification (YMMV):

- H9 has more bass & sub-bass than the H9i. All about that bass, baby (queue up Meghan Trainor)!

- H9i sounds cleaner, but a tad on the bright side. Sounds great, but get fatiguing after an hour. The H9 has a richer sound, and at the same volume, I can listen to the H9 without fatigue. Some may prefer the more "audiophile" sound of the H9i. I do enjoy both and each sound very good, but I prefer the richer sound of the H9.

- H9: aptX & AAC / H9i: AAC only

- ANC is definitely better on the H9i. If ANC is your thing and you have to get B&O, the H9i is the way to go. It's not really even close.

- With ANC on, the H9 sounds WAY better than the H9i. ANC impacts SQ on the H9 around, say, 20%, while the H9i at 50%.

- While walking with the H9i, “thumping" sounds coming from left side with ANC on. H9 does not have this issue.

- Screeching feedback with ANC on from H9i when removing headphones (left side). Does not happen with H9.

- Ear pads on the H9 are much thicker, while the H9i foam is a little softer. Leather ear pads on the H9i are smoother and softer.

- Although the speakers on the H9 are not angled, the added space from the ear pads seem to improve the sound stage a small bit over the H9i. It's really close though.

- Driver flex noise (pops under some suction pressure) on the H9i. The H9 does not suffer from driver flex noise.

- Touch controls are better and more responsive on the H9. There seem to be too many touch control functions allotted on the H9i that it be comes difficult to register the desired action. Many "swipes" that were not recognized on the H9i, were easily picked up on the H9. Success rate for H9i was about 60% vs. 80% for the H9 (controlled test of 20 "swipes"). Both are still not what the Sony MDR-1000XM2 is, which tested at 100%, but the H9 is definitely less frustrating.

- Battery life much better on the H9i. Work from home mostly, so battery life is not high on my list.

- H9i USB C vs. Micro USB on the H9. I roll with an iPhone, so I'm indifferent here. I do have more "stuff" that use Micro USB, which I don't plan on changing out anytime soon. By that time, there will be USB Z anyway.

- BT connectivity is better on the H9i. Multi-point, but also, very oddly, I have to re-pair the H9 every time I power them on. It obviously couldn't have been designed that way, so troubleshooting.

- Mic for calls better on H9i. Still "good" on H9.

IMG_1797.jpg IMG_1798.jpg IMG_1799.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,235 of 1,671
Ended up returning the H9 as well. Two major issues I noted after 2 days of use.

1) The ANC works well for low-frequency noises, however, once I went to my local coffee shop, it's almost as if it amplified voices of those around me. Very, very distracting.
2) It would not auto-pair with my phone when I turned it on. I had not paired it with anything else and had to manually pair every time.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,236 of 1,671
OK, I ended up returning the H9i. Every time I remove the headphones with ANC on, there is a screeching sound, almost like mic feedback, that emanates from the left side. It does not do this with the ANC off. This obviously is an issue with the mic pickup on the left side, potentially combined with a more air-tight seal.

Another issue I was having, were "thumping" sounds coming from the left side when walking. Again, this was isolated to the left side, which leads me to believe the mic sensitivity was higher on the left side.

I paid $419 for the Natural H9i. I just ordered the Black H9 for $349 (Amazon Same-Day), so we'll see how those compare.

try again, had all these issues and it was horrible for me. Nobody believed me for weeks but im glad you had these issues to confirm I was not wrong. That screeching sound is annoying. This pair that I have does not do it thankfully.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #1,237 of 1,671
try again, had all these issues and it was horrible for me. Nobody believed me for weeks but im glad you had these issues to confirm I was not wrong. That screeching sound is annoying. This pair that I have does not do it thankfully.
I can confirm; you are not crazy. :)

It's a bit frustrating that a product costing this much does not have a good QC process in place for these issues. Shoot, even Inspector #56 signs off on my socks!

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,238 of 1,671
Quickly...

I owned PX and liked the sound as I own a pair of B&W 580 towers. I returned then for the discomfort and weight.
Tried Sony W1000xm2 - too muddy and bass heavy for me, returned.
Tried B&O H9. Comfort is through the roof!!! Sound good but not great.
Bose QC35 II Very comfortable and to my surprise very good sounding!!! Still have these... Not the greatest looking but
Got B&O H9i Very good sound and tremendous clarity!!! I thought they were a little bright at first but the more I listen, just Wow!! I don't have PX's anymore to compare sound but the discomfort and not being able to wear any glasses with them make them a non contender.
Back to H9i - bass is perfect. just the right amount and perfect sub bass for me.
Super comfy
No problems with proximity sensors. I saw a video somewhere, turn them on and let the sensors calibrate until the indicator light turns off. I have had no problems after this.
Touch controls are ok once you get the hang of them.
User replaceable battery. Huge plus!!!!!

I am in an A/B battle with the Bose QC35ii but pretty sure I will be keeping H9i's

Wishes...
I wish the ANC did not impact the sound!! It is not terrible but noticeable and not a deal killer. Bose seems to get away this, why/how?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #1,239 of 1,671
Quickly...

I owned PX and liked the sound as I own a pair of B&W 580 towers. I returned then for the discomfort and weight.
Tried Sony W1000xm2 - too muddy and bass heavy for me, returned.
Tried B&O H9. Comfort is through the roof!!! Sound good but not great.
Bose QC35 II Very comfortable and to my surprise very good sounding!!! Still have these... Not the greatest looking but
Got B&O H9i Very good sound and tremendous clarity!!! I thought they were a little bright at first but the more I listen, just Wow!! I don't have PX's anymore to compare sound but the discomfort and not being able to wear any glasses with them make them a non contender.
Back to H9i - bass is perfect. just the right amount and perfect sub bass for me.
Super comfy
No problems with proximity sensors. I saw a video somewhere, turn them on and let the sensors calibrate until the indicator light turns off. I have had no problems after this.
Touch controls are ok once you get the hang of them.
User replaceable battery. Huge plus!!!!!

I am in an A/B battle with the Bose QC35ii but pretty sure I will be keeping H9i's

Wishes...
I wish the ANC did not impact the sound!! It is not terrible but noticeable and not a deal killer. Bose seems to get away this, why/how?
- Do you have any driver flex issues with your H9i (driver popping/crackling sounds)?
- I had a screeching sound with ANC on when I removed the left ear cup. Are you having this issue?

Yes, the ANC really compresses the sound and horribly impacts the overall dynamics. Using the EQ helps to a degree, but you're ultimately working in a smaller playground, so to speak. I expect this at the low end of the market, but not at this price point.

The Bose is specifically tuned for ANC. They actually recommend you NOT shut it off, as that does not give you the "Bose sound". B&O is very capable, but they seem to have emphasized the tuning and certain design characteristics to fall more in line with non-ANC use. I wouldn't be shocked if there were tight time lines in getting the product to production, as the consumer has seemingly shifted to expect/desire ANC in their wireless headphones.

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,240 of 1,671
Had my H9i about three weeks now and still trying to decide whether to keep before return window closes. Initially no random proximity pauses, but seemed to develop it after the first recharge a week or so ago. However, I’m now thinking that was just coincidence because I didn’t realize until reading above that you’re supposed to both turn them on AND wait until LED goes out before putting them on. Tonight made sure I waited on LED and that seemed to fix that issue for me.

However, I’m still having distortion issues while listening wirelessly at fairly moderate volume levels. I know that issue was previously discussed here, but thought that was, or was supposed to have been fixed by a prior firmware update?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #1,241 of 1,671
Had my H9i about three weeks now and still trying to decide whether to keep before return window closes. Initially no random proximity pauses, but seemed to develop it after the first recharge a week or so ago. However, I’m now thinking that was just coincidence because I didn’t realize until reading above that you’re supposed to both turn them on AND wait until LED goes out before putting them on. Tonight made sure I waited on LED and that seemed to fix that issue for me.

However, I’m still having distortion issues while listening wirelessly at fairly moderate volume levels. I know that issue was previously discussed here, but thought that was, or was supposed to have been fixed by a prior firmware update?
If you're 3 weeks in, I think you should return them given the distortion issue. I did not have any distortion, but I had other issues, such as screeching feedback from the left ear cup and thumping sounds from that same ear cup when walking. My hunch is they are using slightly different drivers/mics in each build run, probably from different OEMs but produced under the same specs. If you give 2 people the same specs and ask them to build something, you'll get 2 different finished products. Humans...

There was another post where the guy returned like 4 pairs before he got one without any issues. You can always return then repurchase, that way you can get a new 30 day return window, but I honestly don't think they're quite ready for prime time.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #1,242 of 1,671
Just got a new pair of the H9i's for about 370 euros. This time around I don't have an iPhone X, but a galaxy s8 instead. The treble is far less annoying now as well. The headphones sounds really good now compared to the last time I owned a pair. I got a brutal headache from the treble when I used the iphone, but on the galaxy it's a lot better balanced (and I've never used an equalizer, apart from the one in the beoplay app)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #1,243 of 1,671
Just got a new pair of the H9i's for about 370 euros. This time around I don't have an iPhone X, but a galaxy s8 instead. The treble is far less annoying now as well. The headphones sounds really good now compared to the last time I owned a pair. I got a brutal headache from the treble when I used the iphone, but on the galaxy it's a lot better balanced (and I've never used an equalizer, apart from the one in the beoplay app)
That's interesting. Assuming there were no changes to your hearing, this leads me to believe it's more an issue with the drivers vs. the source device over BT for the particular issue you're describing. The reason I say this, is the numerous reports, to varying degrees, of QC issues with this particular model. Although I have no direct proof and can only base my assumptions on my personal experience and online reviews, I do believe there were multiple companies B&O contracted with to produce parts, leading to QC inconsistencies.

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,244 of 1,671
Either this is a codec , software version, or placebo issue.

I’m betting more on placebo.

Let’s take me for instance, I’ve always thought the H9i was fatiguing but I took a break and went on a cruise, currently typing from the middle of the Caribbean and the sound that is coming out of these is unlike what I’ve heard before. Treble feels so much better!

Mabye it’s the environment or the noise that drowns out the treble but I’m betting as soon as I get back home to a quiet library it will get annoying again.

Environment plays a huge factor in acoustics, don’t forget my friends.

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,245 of 1,671
That's interesting. Assuming there were no changes to your hearing, this leads me to believe it's more an issue with the drivers vs. the source device over BT for the particular issue you're describing. The reason I say this, is the numerous reports, to varying degrees, of QC issues with this particular model. Although I have no direct proof and can only base my assumptions on my personal experience and online reviews, I do believe there were multiple companies B&O contracted with to produce parts, leading to QC inconsistencies.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe there would be such a big difference between two sources when it comes to bluetooth .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back