B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jun 18, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #1,111 of 1,671
Just installed the latest firmware. Now when I power the unit off and hear the sound there is some static in it. I am not sure but I also think there may be some static in regular playback too. Has anyone noticed this? Is there any way to reload or reset the firmware?
Static is expected for Bluetooth headphones (when playing and a few moments after pausing). Actually, the H9i’s static is one of the fine ones. Other headphones like V-MODA’s Crossfade 2 Wireless, have way more noticeable statics.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #1,112 of 1,671
It is just a first day with H9i and noticed one thing.. I tested them at shop on previous firmware and was impressed with the nice v shape and smooth presentation.. at home they updated to latest and hmm maybe they need a burn-in but they presented a lot of delicate but audible distortion in all frequencies... funny ... They instantly proved how competent technically B&W PX are... like a different league... PX are a bit rolled off and that makes them sound closed but they don’t show any of the technical problems H9i showed. Playing with App showed that only in slightly warm they hide a bit of that. Again it’s not a major thing.. but surprising in this price range. Is it possible that it’s a firmware issue or lack of burn-in?
They are most comfortable headphones I tried.
The B&O company officially recognizes no existence or necessity of a burn-in. Were you demoing with the same device? Also, the amount of noise around would also have an effect, because ANC affects sound very slightly, and the H9i’s ANC is dynamic (way more dynamic than H9’s). And if you weren’t using your own device, it is possible that the headphones in the store had their ToneTouch tampered.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #1,113 of 1,671
Seems like a lot of people have mentioned the distortion. I haven't noticed it myself? Maybe it's a quirk from some of the installations?
I notice no distortion either. What I notice now though, is a SUPER CLEAN and UNBELIEVABLY amazing Transparency mode. It actually feels like you’re not wearing headphones now. And accentuates bass pretty well (say, you’re on Transparency mode with speakers playing).

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,114 of 1,671
After two days, I need to say that I love H9i looks and the amazing comfort. I need to say that ANC is overrated in many reviews as to my ears they isolate worse than PX in office mode. Another thing is the very problematic control panel... I decided to never control volume as it’s so imprecise that I prefer to take the phone out.
But my only serious complaint is the sound. Highs are really bumped a lot, sibilant and harsh and that in headphones at that price is kind of shocking. Is there any H9i user also hearing it the same with some tips on how to temper the highs? Tried app but even at most warm settings they just get muddy a bit. I want to like them:) I noticed that problem of harshness and super brightness is more pronounced in BT mode... wired they sound smoother and fuller

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,115 of 1,671
After two days, I need to say that I love H9i looks and the amazing comfort. I need to say that ANC is overrated in many reviews as to my ears they isolate worse than PX in office mode. Another thing is the very problematic control panel... I decided to never control volume as it’s so imprecise that I prefer to take the phone out.
But my only serious complaint is the sound. Highs are really bumped a lot, sibilant and harsh and that in headphones at that price is kind of shocking. Is there any H9i user also hearing it the same with some tips on how to temper the highs? Tried app but even at most warm settings they just get muddy a bit. I want to like them:) I noticed that problem of harshness and super brightness is more pronounced in BT mode... wired they sound smoother and fuller
What do you mean by the poor ANC? Does it fail to block a specific noise or do you just feel it’s less intense in one scenario?

To temper the high, slide to the left from the center point.

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,116 of 1,671
PX have a very good passive isolation and that helps toning sudden office noises, active NC is better in H9i but as a sum of both PX seems better to my ears and was expecting opposite.
Moving to the left makes them still a bit thin and shallow but muddy. I was looking for some stronger basement and flat highs. I guess that once highs get a bit more flat distortion and grain will disappear from perception

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,117 of 1,671
PX have a very good passive isolation and that helps toning sudden office noises, active NC is better in H9 but as a sum of both PX seems better to my ears and was expecting opposite.
Moving to the left makes them still a bit thin and shallow but muddy. I was looking for some stronger basement and flat highs. I guess that once highs get a bit more flat distortion and grain will disappear from perception
Thing is with the H9i, like I said before, also compared to the H9, the ANC is very dynamic and situation based. What I mean is that in a place that’s not too loud, such as your own bedroom, with maybe only an air purifier running, the ANC doesn’t push as much. On a bus, the ANC pushes harder than what an H9 can do. I honestly think this way it’s a sweet spot between a good noise cancellation and comfort that Sony and Bose lack.

What device are you using when you notice this distortion?

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,118 of 1,671
I have Sony1000x , PX and H9i and would say that Sony still is best of the three in NC. H9i is best at size , looks and comfort. I don’t have a huge problem with ANC strength, it’s really great or good enough for me. It’s the sound that troubles me. I heard that both on IOS, OSX, Windows with SBC. I don’t hear that via USB and it could be due to fact that wired sound gets more body and slightly more linear highs.
I use IPhone X, MacBook Pro, IPad Pro and Windows workstation.

Jun 21, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,119 of 1,671
The Sony is definitely best in NC. The h9i has "cabin pressure" issues, although it works really well. Sound wise the PX is the most different to the other two, with a presentation that wobbles between "big and separated" and "hollow" in a way I can't really describe. The H9i is inarguably clearer than the Sony, which can be veiled by comparison. Unfortunately, it gave me fits with random pauses and disconnects and the sound wasn't enough better that the extra $200 was worth it.

Jun 21, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #1,121 of 1,671
The Beoplay app is surprisingly not bad considering it refuses to give the user an actual EQ to work with. I agree with your setting as well, though I nudged it a bit toward the "Excited" side.

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,122 of 1,671
I am still doing some in app experiments to reduce the grainy sharp “s” distortions and yet maintain some clean presentation... all with no luck. Found on Beoplay forum that I am not alone and users were waiting for an update to fix it and latest firmware made the sound even sharper... maybe Beoplay are just not for me as I need to listen to them very quiet to not be pissed with highs quality.

I also noticed that they connect with OSX MacBook Pro using SBC..... PX used APTX as default but I could force AAC with "sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AAC codec" -bool true".
With H9i this command connects them to Macbook with AAC but... produce 0 sound.. non at all. Silent. System and headphones think everything is perfect.. its just that they don't produce sound. I am wandering if they actually connect to Iphone X / IpadPro with AAC and not SBC...

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,123 of 1,671
I think I found a partial reason for sound quality problems over bluetooth... I did firmware update - again - to the newest version but this time I used OSX App, instead of Iphone IOS app. Its not that character of sound changed but definitely it is less grainy in the upper region over BT, it has this silk like smoothness I remember from testing them in the shop. Also, ANC is not having hard time when I walk.. previously I had to be very careful when stepping, as this brought a kicks, now its behaving normally. They still are too bright in their nature mo my ears but at least the technical sound quality is not a huge problem. They are not as smooth and detailed as PX are, they lack depth PX has, but they have other qualities, amazing Transparency mode, previously it was super grainy and irritating, nice ANC, and comfort. Now I will have to find a way to set up app and bring back some of the midbass, and turn down highs a bit. My take away and advice is: always better to update via app on Win/OSX. To be honest the same problems where in very early days of PX , and some users had to update firmware from workstation.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,124 of 1,671
Week ago I bought H9i and they replaced my beloved Sony MDR1000X. Let's start from the noise canceling and here I was really surprised by H9i! The headphones are approx. 80% as good as Sony's if we are talking about ANC and to me it's just good enough, because Sony ANC is just insane. Build quality is not even close - B9i outclass Sony's cheap plastic by million miles :) And now let's speak about sound. I agree with everything you discuss here about sound sharpness, damn, what do Beoplay sound engineers were thinking about when they did modify headphones sound signature like that, I simply can't understand. I was playing with settings and now brightness it's acceptable, but still far from being perfect. Hopefully they can fix it with updates. But that is a problem only when ANC is on (noise cancelling also makes soundstage worst). When ANC is off - H9i are the best sounding wireless headphones on the market, period. It even sounds better than my previous Beoplay H7 and H7 was sounding insanely good :) So all I need now is sound improvements when ANC is on.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #1,125 of 1,671
Week ago I bought H9i and they replaced my beloved Sony MDR1000X. Let's start from the noise canceling and here I was really surprised by H9i! The headphones are approx. 80% as good as Sony's if we are talking about ANC and to me it's just good enough, because Sony ANC is just insane. Build quality is not even close - B9i outclass Sony's cheap plastic by million miles :) And now let's speak about sound. I agree with everything you discuss here about sound sharpness, damn, what do Beoplay sound engineers were thinking about when they did modify headphones sound signature like that, I simply can't understand. I was playing with settings and now brightness it's acceptable, but still far from being perfect. Hopefully they can fix it with updates. But that is a problem only when ANC is on (noise cancelling also makes soundstage worst). When ANC is off - H9i are the best sounding wireless headphones on the market, period. It even sounds better than my previous Beoplay H7 and H7 was sounding insanely good :) So all I need now is sound improvements when ANC is on.
A lot of older people and young people like my friends who listen to music too loudly can’t really hear that sharpness. To compensate that, a lot of engineers increase their headphones so brightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back