B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,006 of 1,671
Could it be something related to the iPhone X perhaps? It would be great if someone else could verify it. May be an issue with iPhone Xs or maybe just mine. Who knows ...

I doubt it if you're using bluetooth, since it's only using a standard. If you're using a custom equalizer it could be caused by that, or it's simply the song itself that's badly mixed for these specific headphones.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #1,007 of 1,671
So just received my H9i's yesterday. Have the PX's, QC35's, H9's and P9's as my major headphones and mostly good with H9i's so far except the treble is too much and I love a good treble. The bass is much better than the H9's and so is the ANC. The PX's still sound the best (wireless) but just too uncomfortable for me at least.

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #1,009 of 1,671
H9 owner here since the beginning and I am just coming back to this thread which, while having followed it since the beginning, I have been absent from the past few months.

Simple question - for use EXCLUSIVELY on an airplane - do people feel that the ANC on the "i" model is a significant improvement over the H9 I currently own?

Recently I have been using the E8 wireless buds with Comply isolation tips instead of my H9's as I really do not think there is much of a difference between the two in the ability to block out engine noise. The E8's are just so portable and convenient.

Should I give the "i" model a try or am I spinning my wheels and I should remain with my E8 buds (and H9's)?

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,010 of 1,671
For everyone feeling the treble is too prominent, is that before or after tuning the sound with the app?
In my case slightly to the left and up really makes a big difference.
I cannot bear the treble without using the app either.
I push the circle straight up. In the middle between exiting and warm. About 1/3 up. But then one day I sat and listened to music and loved the sound and clarity. Listened for a long time. And then I realized that the app was gone back to off/0. That told me that its a bit about getting used to as well. So now I don't push it that much up.

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,011 of 1,671
For everyone feeling the treble is too prominent, is that before or after tuning the sound with the app?
I did exactly the same - up and to the left towards 'Warm' right at the first circle. Any further and it lessens the dynamics and muddies the sound. After testing it out for a couple of days, the sound is near perfect.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,012 of 1,671

I tried this as well. Initially I felt it improved the sound signature dramatically. But the more time I spent listening to this tuning, the more I noticed that the lower frequency bass was more accentuated than I was used to. I would hear low bass notes that would “pop” out of the music - but not in the good way where it’s part of the music I’ve never heard before, rather in a bad way where it feels out of place. My main point is that I was not able to find a setting in the app that *just* reduces the treble without impacting other parts of the sound in a way I personally didn’t like :frowning2:

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,014 of 1,671
My app doesn't show the virtual ANC switch most of the time either. :frowning2:

Attachments

• 2018-03-14 20.06.24.png
    2018-03-14 20.06.24.png
    654.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #1,016 of 1,671
I wish i had an answer for you but I honestly don't know. What I do know, again, is that I have never heard of a manufacturer upgrading audio codecs through firmware (changing a aptX headset into a aptX HD one, for example). At least not yet, anyways.

Expecting AAC to land on ALL Android handsets seems hopeful at best. As of right now, Oreo adoption rate is a whopping 1.1% of all handsets on the market, LG's flagship v30 is only getting Oreo now and Samsung users are still stuck playing the waiting game, half a year after Oreo's dropped. Android OS fragmentation is obviously still very much a thing, thus for B&O to make that AAC assumption...that wasn't smart. Seems to me they simply wanted to save on aptX licensing costs, Android users be damned.

Fair play. I asked B&O this specific question (again), it seems that depending on who responds, you get a slightly different answer. It looks like they may be copy 'n' pasting from stock answers without delving into engineering detail, or asking the engineers. Going by the below, it seems that perhaps the hardware is there, but it may be mothballed, thereby holding out the possibility of an OTA firmware update in the future?? It's not totally clear though.

<
Yes, the hardware on our products is compatible with Aptx but due to licensing cost issues, it is not supported.

We hope this clears your doubts.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Louis R.
B&O PLAY Support
>

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #1,017 of 1,671
When you guys turn your H9i off, does the headphone buzz for a few seconds? I get an off chime and then there's a loudish buzzing noise before the headset powers off. Seems weird.
Yes mine does this as well (and I've had 3 already and they all did it). Weirdly, that buzz sound is much louder when you're in a cold environment, so outside for example. On room temperature I don't hear any sound when turning the power off.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,019 of 1,671
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried interchanging the ear cushions between H9i and H8i. Would it be possible? Seems like the fit could potentially be the same. What about audio quality in general? Are the drivers tuned for the stock ear cushion or that wouldn't alter much?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #1,020 of 1,671
Hi everyone,

Just got the h9i and have a few questions. I have an iPhone X and want to use them wired for longer listening sessions. And to take calls. There doesn’t seem to be a cable that lets you listen and take calls - analog or digital. The analog wire doesn’t have a mic and you need to use the lightening dongle. A lightening to 3.5mm wire with mic would work but there aren’t many of those on the market.

Then I heard you could connect then digitally through usb if you use the iPhone camera connection dongle - but the iPhone throws an error saying the device takes too much power. I’d love to be able to connect usb for digital music without charging the phone but guessing that’s not possible.

Last, my ear touches the inside. Did anyone ever confirm you can or cannot get the h9 cushions and swap them with the h9i ones?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back