B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Mar 2, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #964 of 1,671
Here is
The reply from Geoff.

"Hi everyone,

A short update: I've now been able to reproduce the problem using a production pair of H9i's, connected using Bluetooth, playing at maximum volume.

The reason the Diana Krall track causes the distortion in only the left channel is related to the reverb on the voice. The Katy Melua track causes the same artefact in both channels.

The good news is that this is fixable with a software upgrade, and that we're working on this now. I cannot say when this will be released - however, once it is released, I'll drop back in here to let you know.

Thanks for spotting this.

Cheers
-geoff "

So there will be a fix for the known issues.
But it is not out yet.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #965 of 1,671
Here is
The reply from Geoff.

"Hi everyone,

A short update: I've now been able to reproduce the problem using a production pair of H9i's, connected using Bluetooth, playing at maximum volume.

The reason the Diana Krall track causes the distortion in only the left channel is related to the reverb on the voice. The Katy Melua track causes the same artefact in both channels.

The good news is that this is fixable with a software upgrade, and that we're working on this now. I cannot say when this will be released - however, once it is released, I'll drop back in here to let you know.

Thanks for spotting this.

Cheers
-geoff "

So there will be a fix for the known issues.
But it is not out yet.
Best news of the day! :)

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #967 of 1,671
Can anyone comment on comfort for glasses wearers, for either the H8i or H9i? I'm going for a listen next week, but it's always hard to tell long term comfort from a short trial in a shop. Assuming they both sound good, I think I'm leaning towards the H8i for the increased portability, but that's not worth it if they're going to be painful to wear.

I've borrowed friends' QC35s and they felt great, so a comparison to those would be amazing.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #968 of 1,671
I am using glasses at work. I have no problems with the H9i and glasses.
The new headband takes time getting used to. It is shaped a bit different so it gives a little more pressure than earlier models.

If someone missed it earlier in the thread there will be a software update to deal with the ANC issue.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #970 of 1,671
I had to disable the proximity sensor today. My BeoPlay H9i's would just pause my playback by itself every 5-10 seconds, then start again a few seconds later, pause after 5-10 seconds and just keep going like this forever. I restarted them, I restarted my phone, took them on and off my head etc but they just kept pausing and starting all the time. No biggie for me as I don't really see any huge benefits with the proximity sensor other than the headphone auto-pausing when taking them off my head. The auto-resume might actually be rather annoying as it often will auto-start music when I'm actually going to start a podcast etc and it feels somewhat stupid for it just fire up something else than what I'm actually going to listen to.

EDIT:

My biggest issue is still the discomfort from the narrower pillows making my ears touching the inside causing some real discomfort at times. I don't really see how I can work around this as the wider pillows from the H7/H9's wont fit the H9i's. I'm just hoping for them to get somewhat looser after a while and hoping for that to reduce the issue.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #971 of 1,671
Hi guys, a question: when you have the H9i on and ANC is on, and you press the right earpad a bit tighter on your ear, do you also hear a high pitched squeaky sound when you stop pressing? I have this on the right sided ear only, not on the left earpad side. Was wondering if this is normal? It's not really bothering or anything but just want to check whether it's normal.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #972 of 1,671
Can anyone comment on comfort for glasses wearers, for either the H8i or H9i?

I do also wear glasses, and they are not the problem with H9i. Not like with B&W PX, where you either wear glasses or can afford PX.
What really is a comfort problem with H9i's for me is their small cushion size and their round shape. I have relatively big ears, and they simply don't fit.
It doesn't seem like a big deal at first, but after about an hour the inner stitching of the cushions tightens up, and starts to literally cut into my ears. And after that it's nearly impossible to find a right position where it wouldn't hurt. Besides that, the cushions are also relatively shallow, leaving even less space for ears. Mine are touching the back side and heat up very quickly.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #973 of 1,671
I do also wear glasses, and they are not the problem with H9i. Not like with B&W PX, where you either wear glasses or can afford PX.
What really is a comfort problem with H9i's for me is their small cushion size and their round shape. I have relatively big ears, and they simply don't fit.
It doesn't seem like a big deal at first, but after about an hour the inner stitching of the cushions tightens up, and starts to literally cut into my ears. And after that it's nearly impossible to find a right position where it wouldn't hurt. Besides that, the cushions are also relatively shallow, leaving even less space for ears. Mine are touching the back side and heat up very quickly.

I wonder if those complaining about comfort with the H9i had similar problems with H9 also or perhaps it’s something to do with the new slimmer design on the H9i?

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #975 of 1,671
My biggest issue is still the discomfort from the narrower pillows making my ears touching the inside causing some real discomfort at times. I don't really see how I can work around this as the wider pillows from the H7/H9's wont fit the H9i's. I'm just hoping for them to get somewhat looser after a while and hoping for that to reduce the issue.

Thanks, both. I'm seeing a pattern here. I wonder if the H8i might be better - I'm certainly not averse to on ears. Any glasses wearers got any experience with those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back