B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #949 of 1,671
Just listened to this song on my H9i and then my H6 gen 2 as a control (iPhone X, Apple Music). I tried with ANC on and off on the H9i and didn't hear any distortion.

I ended up getting the GOcase F3 from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0736J7RRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sent mine in for customer service because of the distortion (mainly left earcup) with ANC on, I mentioned said song as example for them to hear it themselves. Since you and others didn't have the S-sound distortion it must be a faulty pair. What confuses me however, is that the showroom-pair in the B&O store had the same issue. Maybe a faulty batch, I don't know. Anyhow I hope I'll be back in business soon, loved them and still do, but this needs to be fixed. An even clearer example of the distortion: with ANC on, my H9i would distort on almost each S-sound this woman is making: (yes I went to the random side of internet to check the issue lol). Others experiencing anything similar?

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #951 of 1,671
I just couldn't get used to the on-ear feel of the H8i. Something strange with the symmetry of my head so the right cup was always uncomfortable. I hoped it would get better over time, but the opposite was the case. Got more and more to me, and felt more and more uncomfortable and annoying. SO, I just got back from the shops where I returned the H8i and came home with the H9i. After just a couple of songs I can see hva people are talking about with the clarity being better and the soundstage also is a improvement from the 8. BUT damn these things are bright sounding. Maybe its a case of getting used to. But Im wondering, are people experiencing any form of burn-in with these? Or is the straight out of the box the sound thats one get?

Feb 26, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #952 of 1,671
Same distortion I hear in the "S" at left earcup when ANC on. How about the others? Did B&O already said something about this?

By the way, just to compare also I tried the video using my Momentum M2 AEBT and no distortion on the "S"

Hope others can comment also if they have the same issue

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #953 of 1,671
I own H9 currently and had MDR1000X previously before I sold it to a friend. Had never owned any other pair other than those two, but tested several other obsessively in the past, including QC 35, H6, H7, momentum over ear, and P7.

I recently auditioned H9i in the B&O store, and I have to say that I didn’t like the sound. In term of the sound tuning, what I feel is that B&O has taken all of the feedback over the H9 and applied it to H9i to the extreme. I don’t think that the sound signature is close to H6, but more like a lopsided V-shape with an emphasize to the high. It is easy to hear a distortion in 80-90% volume out of the songs I tested (Iphone 7, listening from iTunes, various genre from classics, electro jazz, pop, edm, instrumental). The bass is tighter though, and that is welcomed, and the soundstage is only slightly improved vs H9. The mid comes out more as well. But the high is what kills me. It’s not bright, it is TOO bright.

Whilst I understand that H9’s sound signature is a bit “colored”, H9i is in no way a proper improvement at the current setup. For a headphone that cost $499, it is not a stretch to expect a right course correction over H9 out of the box. But this is definitely not it for me. And to those who already owned H9, I don’t think that it’s worth an upgrade to H9i. Better wait for H10.

That being said, at the end of the day, it is about personal preference and therefore to those who is looking to get a pair of H9i, just audition it yourself in the nearest store!

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #954 of 1,671
I have to say I was really sceptical both before bying the H9i (When I still had the PX and the H8i), and also just after getting them. They seemed really sibilant and bright. But after adjusting the circle in the app straight up ca 1/3 along the line between warm and exited, and listening to them for a couple of days, I really love them. I don't need to turn the volume up that high to get a good feeling (its plenty load enough but not as high as in some of the earlier headphones). And thats a good thing for my hearing :)
So not regretting the switch from 8i to 9i!. Finding things in the music I haven't heard before.

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #955 of 1,671
I have to say I was really sceptical both before bying the H9i (When I still had the PX and the H8i), and also just after getting them. They seemed really sibilant and bright. But after adjusting the circle in the app straight up ca 1/3 along the line between warm and exited, and listening to them for a couple of days, I really love them. I don't need to turn the volume up that high to get a good feeling (its plenty load enough but not as high as in some of the earlier headphones). And thats a good thing for my hearing :)
So not regretting the switch from 8i to 9i!. Finding things in the music I haven't heard before.

Thanks for sharing. So did you end up returning the PX and how does it compare?

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #956 of 1,671
Thanks for sharing. So did you end up returning the PX and how does it compare?
Yes. first I returned the PX and got the H8i. But couldn't quite get used to the comfort and fit (They sounded great though). And then returned them and got the H9i. To me the H9i is a much better headphone than the PX. For a couple of reasons:
The PX are really heavy. And even thou they say that the leather in the ear cups get better over time, they are really stiff! And in no way will they ever be as comfortable as the H9i!
When I had the PX I sort of liked the way they sounded on many music styles. But when it came to rock, and espesially metal, they in many cases sounded really bad! And in my opinion, compared to the B&O headphones they are dark sounding. I think they lack a lot in the top end.
When it comes to soundstage, maybe the PX had a wider soundstage. But the H9i is also really good in that compartment in my opinion.
I also find the bass better in the H9i. Feels like it goes deeper and are more controlled.
My biggest problem with the PX was the enormous amount of sound leak! Just couldn't live with it! Almost any closed back headphone Ive owned or tried leaks less sound.
The proximity sensor and the difference between them, I'm not really decided on yet. The good thing about the PX was the ability to adjust the sensitivity. I hope thats something B&O can add one day. Haven´t had any problems with the sensor in the H9i yet, but I ended app turning it off in the H8i. It was so bad and kept turning it self off for no reason.
ANC much better in the H9i. But I liked the possibility to adjust between different ANC modes in the PX.
But for me, without a doubt, the H9i is a much better allround headphone! :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #957 of 1,671
I have had the H9i for just over two weeks. I have used it in a variety of situations, including cabled, wireless, ANC, no ANC, and with tone adjustment. It is not bad without tone adjustment, but I am pleased with the sound quality and performance. I used tone adjustment and it works well. It is better without ANC, but there is not a great difference. I have not tried it on a plane.
Obviously, it is better cabled. However, it is very good wireless. It is good walking. In the house (4200 sq ft), I can go anywhere without issues, except the garage which is under the second story without loss of signal.
No complaints about comfort. The ear pads are great and the fit is stable.
So far,I am lucky since I have no distortion as reported by some users even after trying the songs they identified.
The sound is not fatiguing. The most I have worn the headphones is three hours at one time. No complaints.
The controls using the "swiping" motion on the right ear phone definitely take some training to succeed.
Phone usage is excellent, although that is is why I bought them. Call recipients say voice is great and I hear them just fine. Batttery life is good, better than advertised for me.
This is just my experience, and I understand your experience may be different.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #958 of 1,671
Yes. first I returned the PX and got the H8i. But couldn't quite get used to the comfort and fit (They sounded great though). And then returned them and got the H9i. To me the H9i is a much better headphone than the PX. For a couple of reasons:
The PX are really heavy. And even thou they say that the leather in the ear cups get better over time, they are really stiff! And in no way will they ever be as comfortable as the H9i!
When I had the PX I sort of liked the way they sounded on many music styles. But when it came to rock, and espesially metal, they in many cases sounded really bad! And in my opinion, compared to the B&O headphones they are dark sounding. I think they lack a lot in the top end.
When it comes to soundstage, maybe the PX had a wider soundstage. But the H9i is also really good in that compartment in my opinion.
I also find the bass better in the H9i. Feels like it goes deeper and are more controlled.
My biggest problem with the PX was the enormous amount of sound leak! Just couldn't live with it! Almost any closed back headphone Ive owned or tried leaks less sound.
The proximity sensor and the difference between them, I'm not really decided on yet. The good thing about the PX was the ability to adjust the sensitivity. I hope thats something B&O can add one day. Haven´t had any problems with the sensor in the H9i yet, but I ended app turning it off in the H8i. It was so bad and kept turning it self off for no reason.
ANC much better in the H9i. But I liked the possibility to adjust between different ANC modes in the PX.
But for me, without a doubt, the H9i is a much better allround headphone! :)
Regarding soundstage, have you tried expanding the dot in the app eq?

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #960 of 1,671
Same distortion I hear in the "S" at left earcup when ANC on. How about the others? Did B&O already said something about this?

By the way, just to compare also I tried the video using my Momentum M2 AEBT and no distortion on the "S"

Hope others can comment also if they have the same issue

The people who don't hear the distortion: do you use a warmer personalized tonetouch? Because I don't have the distortion either when I drag the tonetouch quite towards ''warm''. I didn't make this clear earlier but distortion is there when the tonetouch is in the middle or somewhere the bright/excited (with ANC on, both wired and on bluetooth). This strengthens me in the suspicion that it's a software-related issue..

I have tried 3 H9i's now and all 3 had the exact same distortion on the song ''Like someone in love'' by Diana Krall, only with ANC on. I'm a bit puzzled as to what to do now. I sent my first H9i in for service, they sent me a new one back and told me that the one I sent had indeed a problem, but now the new one has the exact same problem and the showmodel I tried in the B&O store had the same thing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back