B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Feb 2, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #841 of 1,671
I’m completely speculating here, but to me the sound gets more V shaped when ANC is turned on, with mids reduced. When I’m listening to music on the H9i’s with ANC on, and then turn it off, the sound signature changes in the same way it changes on my other wired headphones when I switch from “R&B” or “Rock” presets in iTunes (which are V shaped) back to neutral (turning off the EQ). This is just my opinion :)

From https://www.headphonesty.com/2017/01/v-shaped-sound-signature-mean/
“Headphones with V-shaped sound signature tend to have booming bass and sparkling treble, which makes for a more exciting listening experience.

As a result, the audio seems “brighter” and the human brain finds this particularly pleasing. Among audio buffs, the V-shaped sound is also known as “fun sound”.”​

There are many factors that could play into why people might like this V signature (i.e. the music you listen to) but my guess is that this is why some like ANC on the H9i and some don’t. Of course, it’s just a theory based on my ears :)
So true! That’s why I’m confused when someone said the bass gets “thinner” while in fact it gets “tighter”. Besides, I thought the H9i and H9 were meant to be used with ANC on.

This is why it’s a really welcoming change for Beoplay to tune the H9i with more powerful mids, so it could compensate for the fact that it does this on ANC.

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #842 of 1,671
The headphones are great in general, even the wind I could learn to live with, but these random pauses need to be fixed ASAP.

I own a pair of H8i, and the proximity sensor is unstable. I have used them for travelling, and when the bus or train slow down, they pause the music. I have to take them off, reposition them to make them work again. Had to update to the latest firmware, as they didn't work with my iPhone X without updating. Have had at least 100 pauses and plays in the first five days of use, due to the unstable proximity sensor. I like the call quality, sound, weight, form factor and how they look, but I can't justify the price tag if they are not working. Thinking about returning them.

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #843 of 1,671
I own a pair of H8i, and the proximity sensor is unstable. I have used them for travelling, and when the bus or train slow down, they pause the music. I have to take them off, reposition them to make them work again. Had to update to the latest firmware, as they didn't work with my iPhone X without updating. Have had at least 100 pauses and plays in the first five days of use, due to the unstable proximity sensor. I like the call quality, sound, weight, form factor and how they look, but I can't justify the price tag if they are not working. Thinking about returning them.
At least I have found out that they could be turned off... Makes it bearable now.

However, people who own the H9i (please do not judge but was just listening on radio) the song: Wolves by Selena Gomez and Marshmello at 1:08. Is it me or does it just sound awful?

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #844 of 1,671
At least I have found out that they could be turned off... Makes it bearable now.

However, people who own the H9i (please do not judge but was just listening on radio) the song: Wolves by Selena Gomez and Marshmello at 1:08. Is it me or does it just sound awful?
Don't have the H9i, but the mixing on that song is off, no matter what headphones I use. The "to get to you" lines, sound super sizzly...it's hard to describe but there's an uncomfortable amount of sibilance whenever those lines are sung.

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #845 of 1,671

I've explained here twice earlier this week that it can be turned off... not sure how well ppl are reading (the comments here or the H9i user guide, which also explains it). No doubt however that the sensitivity should be fixed because right now I can use it at the office (haven't had a single problem with it while sitting down) but for walking it's just too unstable.

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #848 of 1,671
Don't have the H9i, but the mixing on that song is off, no matter what headphones I use. The "to get to you" lines, sound super sizzly...it's hard to describe but there's an uncomfortable amount of sibilance whenever those lines are sung.

Made for teens on a budget blasting it in the back of the bus on bluetooth and phone speakers.

Come on Guys... anyone?

Well, they are the same, but the pads aren't that thick, even they both stick out the same way due to the thickness of the headphone body. Side by side the only difference is the plastic around aluminium with the logo.

Official specifications from the vendor
https://www.beoplay.com/en/landingp...B0401}|{732527C8-79BB-4168-83DC-FCFF0587806B}

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #850 of 1,671
Hi everyone:) I’m brand new to the discussion forum, finally deciding to make an account after spending more than enough time simply creeping on what’s being said about the H9i! I currently own the H6 gen 2 and have done for over a year and if it were feasible to sleep with them on my head I would, absolutely fantastic headphones as it seems everyone agrees! My fancy has been tickled by the H9i (I’m a sucker for B&O marketing) and of the scarce information I’ve found on them from owners, it seems the main complaint is harshness/sibilance in the treble which is deterring me slightly... i’d be very grateful if someone who owns the H9i and found this to be an issue would be able to tell me how easily this can be remedied using the sound signature app? And maybe pushing my luck here but if there happens to be someone out there with both the H9i and the H6 gen 2, I’d love to hear if it the upgrade is sufficiently great as to justify the hefty price tag! Sorry for the long-winded message, and again, everyone so far seems very helpful so I’m glad to be here:)

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #851 of 1,671
I measured my H9i's and got just shy of 3.5" (9 cm) for the outer diameter, and 1 7/8" (4.7 cm) for the inner ear space diameter.

I did this with a tape measure, not a micrometer, so I might be a mm or two off :)
For h9 owners; the H9i ear cushions fit, according to b&o

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180205-234629.png
    Screenshot_20180205-234629.png
    610 KB · Views: 0
Feb 6, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #852 of 1,671
And maybe pushing my luck here but if there happens to be someone out there with both the H9i and the H6 gen 2, I’d love to hear if it the upgrade is sufficiently great as to justify the hefty price tag! Sorry for the long-winded message, and again, everyone so far seems very helpful so I’m glad to be here:)

H6 produces great sound, but they don't have ANC and they have a cable, which makes movement and listening to it outside of controlled environments a bit more challenging. The H9i is closer to the H6 than the H9 was, but they are meant for different purposes. I really missed having ANC when I use the bus and train to commute using the H6, and the cable on the H6 is so long it tends to find its way around objects, making your phone at risk of falling out of your hands or pockets.

My recommendations are the H9i for outside use, and the H6 in offices or your home. I ended up buying the H8i, and will probably keep them, due to their great sound and form factor with light weight and less impact around my neck when not in use. The new H8i and H9i have one catch though, and that is their proximity sensor, which is not that reliable, even with their newest firmware installed.

The H6 2nd may be the best choice for people who are comfortable with cable and not having ANC. They are still the best headphones sound wise for consumers, but I guess H9i or even the H8i has good enough sound for me to not care. Being out in the public competing with 65-90 dBA noise from other people and traffic is a challenge for most cabled and classic headphones, so in many cases ANC is a must to avoid boosting the volume to hazardous levels and ruining your hearing. Another risk by adapting relative new technology is that there is a lot of trial and error before they feel complete, and the cabled H6 2nd is as good as a consumer cabled headset probably will be, but the convenience of wireless noise cancelling products will offer comfort that is unmatched in the headphone world.

It is not about an absolute decision, but rather about use case and listening scenarios.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #853 of 1,671
H6 produces great sound, but they don't have ANC and they have a cable, which makes movement and listening to it outside of controlled environments a bit more challenging. The H9i is closer to the H6 than the H9 was, but they are meant for different purposes. I really missed having ANC when I use the bus and train to commute using the H6, and the cable on the H6 is so long it tends to find its way around objects, making your phone at risk of falling out of your hands or pockets.

My recommendations are the H9i for outside use, and the H6 in offices or your home. I ended up buying the H8i, and will probably keep them, due to their great sound and form factor with light weight and less impact around my neck when not in use. The new H8i and H9i have one catch though, and that is their proximity sensor, which is not that reliable, even with their newest firmware installed.

The H6 2nd may be the best choice for people who are comfortable with cable and not having ANC. They are still the best headphones sound wise for consumers, but I guess H9i or even the H8i has good enough sound for me to not care. Being out in the public competing with 65-90 dBA noise from other people and traffic is a challenge for most cabled and classic headphones, so in many cases ANC is a must to avoid boosting the volume to hazardous levels and ruining your hearing. Another risk by adapting relative new technology is that there is a lot of trial and error before they feel complete, and the cabled H6 2nd is as good as a consumer cabled headset probably will be, but the convenience of wireless noise cancelling products will offer comfort that is unmatched in the headphone world.

It is not about an absolute decision, but rather about use case and listening scenarios.

I think the H6 and H6 2nd are the best headphones for mobile devices for the money period. But they have a cable and no ANC. I did replace mine for the P9's and prefer their sound but probably wasn't worth the money difference if I was being honest.

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #854 of 1,671

Thanks for the response :) I do a lot of commuting so the ANC is definitely very tempting, but a lot of sub-£450 headphones do that i guess... I’m interested by your recommendation of the H6 over the the H9i for listening in a controlled environment- do you think that, in these instances, the H6 gen 2 has the better sound/listening experience?

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #855 of 1,671

I totally agree with beoneo. Bluetooth ANC headphones will never sound as good as non ANC wired headphones such as the H6’s in a controlled environment. The H9i’s have to battle with limited Bluetooth bandwidth, different standards and external noises. I think they do a very good job considering. They are very precise headphones which demand a very good source to work at their optimum and I think this is why so many people on this thread have a wide range of positive and negative experience with them. I’ve only had mine 5 days but have done extensive listening and have come to the following conclusion:

With good high quality recodings with good mixing and a good source, my personal option is the H9i’s are the best Bluetooth ANC headphones currently on the market. However with recordings slightly sub standard with mixing, production bit rate, they sound awful. You could look at this two ways.

1. They are accurate monitors and reveal the true nature of any recording

2. They have a narrow operating window and not a good all rounder product.

It really depends and what you want and what you listen to and at what quality. As far as their brief I feel they tick all the boxes they are meant to do. We all have to remember they are Bang & Olufsen, their arena is high quality everything. I assume when their engineers designed and tested the H9i’s they used the best equipment, best recordings with high bit rate, mixing, production etc.

They remind my of Shure’s SE535 & 846. Sounds great with high quality recordings, sound ok/average with anything other than the best.

The problem is most of our favourite songs in our catalogs probably were recorded years ago and production is poor, but we love the tracks.

There are cheaper headphones out there that do a better job with poor recordings but don’t sound as good as the H9i’s with great recordings.

As a side note. I work in London and spend a lot of time traveling on the tube. Anyone who knows the London Underground will know the Central & Jubilee lines will challenge any ANC headphones. The H9i’s do a fair job at blocking out sound without destroying the sound like the QC35’d

I’m not blind to their faults but will keep the H9i’s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back