B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #766 of 1,671
Great unbox and comparison between H9i and H9 where it’s easy to see the differences in design and earpads:

It’s a B&O retailer so don’t know how valid his opinions are but has some thoughts on them compared to H6.

After watching this video, I want these. Lol. Gotta see how much I can sell my H9 for and save up some money to buy the H9i.

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #767 of 1,671
I had the H8 and H8i side by side in the B&O store in London and I saw 0 differences in diameter. I'm just hoping that they wouldn't hurt my ears after 2 hours like h8s did.

H9s got a slimmer earpad for sure though.

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #768 of 1,671
The E8's sounded fantastic, looked fantastic and felt great in the ears. Unfortunately the left one dropped out way too often and lots of times stayed out until I put back in case and removed and tried again. Back they went. I have the H9's (so comfortable, good sound) and PX's (so uncomfortable, great neutral sound). Prefer the look of the H9's too. If the H9i's have improved sound, I would be very interested.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #769 of 1,671
I got my new pair of h9i's yesterday, and the first song I heard with them was Coldplay "Birds", so the first 5 seconds are ok soundwise, but then after 5 seconds you can hear some distorsion coming in with the highs. But you can hear it only with full volume. The next song was "Rooting for you" from London Grammar, sound distortion also on half volume. SO for me they will go back, and B&O definitely went a step backward soundwise compared to the H9. There is one positive thing, the h9i are louder.

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #770 of 1,671
I got my new pair of h9i's yesterday, and the first song I heard with them was Coldplay "Birds", so the first 5 seconds are ok soundwise, but then after 5 seconds you can hear some distorsion coming in with the highs. But you can hear it only with full volume. The next song was "Rooting for you" from London Grammar, sound distortion also on half volume. SO for me they will go back, and B&O definitely went a step backward soundwise compared to the H9. There is one positive thing, the h9i are louder.

Wauw, that's quite a dealbreaker... what kind of experiences do other H9i owners have regarding the distortion? Or could it be that you just have a faulty pair?

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #772 of 1,671
I’m also experiencing a bit of distortion on a few tracks. I’ll try and listen more and come with some examples. Not sure if it’s only with anc turned on or also without it. Will look into this as well.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #773 of 1,671
Hello. Long time lurker first time posting. After reading this thread, can it be concluded that the h9/h9i is not an audiophile headphone while the PX is?

I have both the QC35 and PX but no where near an audiophile but rather want to have the best out there.

I find the volume not loud enough for the QC35 and feel like some sound is missing, while the PX has connectivity issues. Drops the connection a lot and don't want to troubleshoot each time this happens. I may just return both for the H9i.

I would to love to hear opinions from the new owners of the H9i.

Thank you.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #774 of 1,671
Hello. Long time lurker first time posting. After reading this thread, can it be concluded that the h9/h9i is not an audiophile headphone while the PX is?

I have both the QC35 and PX but no where near an audiophile but rather want to have the best out there.

I find the volume not loud enough for the QC35 and feel like some sound is missing, while the PX has connectivity issues. Drops the connection a lot and don't want to troubleshoot each time this happens. I may just return both for the H9i.

Thank you.
My opinion is no "real" audiophile is ever going to listen to bluetooth headphones so none of these are close. What they are is fun sounding and no wires is so convenient.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #775 of 1,671
IMHO the PX doesn't have the best sound signature for outdoor use, I feel subbass is a little wanting which leads to thin-sounding audio. You could get by with some music genres but stuff like EDM, rap won't sound the best on the PX.

The fit on the PX is also brutally unforgiving, polar opposites to the plush earcups on the H9/H9i. You'll eventually break in the PX but do note, if you wear spectacles, that the cups will still be so stiff that you'll lose bass response with your specs on. I just found this out myself (posted in the PX thread as well), so, so disappointed in these.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #776 of 1,671
The E8's sounded fantastic, looked fantastic and felt great in the ears. Unfortunately the left one dropped out way too often and lots of times stayed out until I put back in case and removed and tried again. Back they went. .

Yes - there definitely appear to be many who are having problems with the E8's. There are also others, myself included, who have encountered none of the problems that others are having. In this case, problem free, they are simply wonderful. I will be retiring my H9's and using these.
My Mandarine tips arrived yesterday. Quite nice however possible a bit "strident" and trebly/shouty. I have a pair of Comply T200's (isolation model without ear wax guard) arriving tomorrow and am hoping they will give me the isolation I want (for airline travel) and a nice open sound.

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #777 of 1,671

Thank you.

My opinion is no "real" audiophile is ever going to listen to bluetooth headphones so none of these are close. What they are is fun sounding and no wires is so convenient.

Please stop the B.S about “audiophile” headphones or whatnot lol. You listen to what you like and if you like it, then excellent it is. There is no need to have one standard where everybody agrees it is “audiophile-quality”.

Besides, the term audiophile may be evolving. Older generation audiophiles may lean toward a shrilling high end with really flat EQ while the bass is really “weak” while newer generation audiophiles lean toward a less sharp high with punchy bass and adequate, powerful mids...

For me, the H9i is it. Punchy lows (not overwhelming), powerful presence on the mid, although occasionally too shrilling highs. Then there is the benefit of living in these days where sound tuning is just a ToneTouch away.

Finally, I’d like to say that Bluetooth headphones are now good enough to be virtually indisguishable from wired ones. Maybe unless you’re extremly critically listening for differences, I don’t think you’d hear a difference. When I tried Focal Utopia, I was expecting mindblowing stuffs, but yeah, being used to wireless pairs, I didn’t really hear any mindblowing sound. Don’t get me wrong, it was really good. But then again, that Utopia was on lossless through Mac.

If you think Bluetooth headphones are not good, don’t blame the headphones themselves if you are using Android/Spotify.

I find iPhone through Apple Music gives the best output from a mobile.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #778 of 1,671
Can anyone with the H9i comment on whether ToneTouch settings are saved on the headphones between uses? With the H9, it's really annoying to have to go into the app and set my ToneTouch preset every time I turn the headphones on. Is this something the H9i fixes?

Jan 30, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #779 of 1,671
Can anyone with the H9i comment on whether ToneTouch settings are saved on the headphones between uses? With the H9, it's really annoying to have to go into the app and set my ToneTouch preset every time I turn the headphones on. Is this something the H9i fixes?
Yup. Both E8 and H9i store the most recent tuning.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #780 of 1,671
Please stop the B.S about “audiophile” headphones or whatnot lol. You listen to what you like and if you like it, then excellent it is. There is no need to have one standard where everybody agrees it is “audiophile-quality”.

Besides, the term audiophile may be evolving. Older generation audiophiles may lean toward a shrilling high end with really flat EQ while the bass is really “weak” while newer generation audiophiles lean toward a less sharp high with punchy bass and adequate, powerful mids...

For me, the H9i is it. Punchy lows (not overwhelming), powerful presence on the mid, although occasionally too shrilling highs. Then there is the benefit of living in these days where sound tuning is just a ToneTouch away.

Finally, I’d like to say that Bluetooth headphones are now good enough to be virtually indisguishable from wired ones. Maybe unless you’re extremly critically listening for differences, I don’t think you’d head a difference. When I tried Focal Utopia, I was expecting mindblowing stuffs, but yeah, being used to wireless pairs, I didn’t really hear any mindblowing sound. Don’t get me wrong, it was really good. But then again, that Utopia was on lossless through Mac.

If you think Bluetooth headphones are not good, don’t blame the headphones themselves if you are using Android/Spotify.

I find iPhone through Apple Music gives the best output from a mobile.

Ok sorry. My point is just I want to get my money's worth since I am unhappy with both the QC35 and PX thus making me register on this forum.

....Again, I apologize for the inconvenience, walking out the door after my first post.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back