B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #631 of 1,671
I'm curious about the H9 sound signature since it's not published/tested anywhere, so I added it to the RTINGS vote system http://www.rtings.com/headphones/suggestions

Already 61 upvotes in just a few days so if anyone else is curious to see specs head over and hit up ^^

Having my H9 in for RMA make me realize how much I miss them. They're not without problems but are the best every day headset I've come up with.

DSR9BT tech seems gimicky, but in the end it's all about how they sound... haven't heard them but to replace h9 I'd want something with ANC.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #632 of 1,671
I'm curious about the H9 sound signature since it's not published/tested anywhere, so I added it to the RTINGS vote system http://www.rtings.com/headphones/suggestions

Already 61 upvotes in just a few days so if anyone else is curious to see specs head over and hit up ^^

Having my H9 in for RMA make me realize how much I miss them. They're not without problems but are the best every day headset I've come up with.

DSR9BT tech seems gimicky, but in the end it's all about how they sound... haven't heard them but to replace h9 I'd want something with ANC.

I am previewing both of them right now and I agree that I reach for the H9's far more often than the DSR9BT's.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #633 of 1,671
I really like the H9's but I realized that I can absolutely live without the ANC and maybe live without the Bluetooth. Both of them would go in the 'nice to have' category.

I'm basically looking for the next step in terms of getting better SQ while retaining the H9 sound signature and wondering what my best course of action is. Particularly, I'm looking for any comparisons with headphones I've previewed or owned. I do not own any external amps or DACs, but I'm using the LG V10 to play Tidal HiFi. I listen to EDM, Pop, R&B, Rap, Classical, Instrumental, and Jazz in no particular order.

The reason I'm asking this here is that most of you on this thread have previewed or own the H9's, which has one of my favorite signatures.

If I had to pick and choose my favorite things about headphones I've heard and combine them into one I would say I'd like the bass of the P7 Wireless, the calrity of the mids and highs of the H9, and the soundstage of the K702.

Owned/previewed (favorite to least favorite)
Love Tier:
- H9 (Probably my favorite signature. Impactful, but not overpowering bass. Amazing for vocals. Instruments sing to me with this signature. I wouldn't call it analytical, but I can hear things in songs that I can't hear well with any other headphone)
- AKG K702 (Love the openness of the soundstage. Could use a bit more bass.)
- B&W P7 Wireless (My favorite bass, but I highly dislike the recessed mids as it makes vocals
sound distant and not engaging. These aren't great for music that isn't heavily produced. For songs that are heavily produced, these are great...even better than the H9s in many cases)

The rest:
- Sony MDR-1000x (Relatively neutral. They weren't too musical to my ears.)
- B&O H7 (way too little bass)
- DSR9BT (Not very exciting to listen to.)

Would like comparisons of
- Mr. Headphones AEON
- ZMF Atticus
- Senn HD800 / HD800s

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #634 of 1,671
Haven't tried ZMF Atticus or Senn HD800 but the AEON is amazing. I haven't done a side by side of AEON and H9, but as a fan of H9 sound the AEON really appealed to me. The AEON is flatter, has a better sound stage, has better detail, and is more comfortable than H9.

I tried the MDR-1000x and I didn't get the hype. Maybe I'm a basshead in denial, but there was just no texture to the lower end with 1000x (or QC35, or Momentum 2.0) when compared with H9. Could differentiate kicks/bass etc. Granted, after listening to less bass emphasised headphones, I realized the H9 overdoes it in that department and goes polite rather than for resolution on the high end. But with the EQ in the app I'm able to find a happy middle ground (actually all the way away from the bass range). I just wish the EQ would stick when the app closed =\

As always the only thing to do is go listen... see for yourself =)

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #635 of 1,671
Sep 16, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #636 of 1,671
I have Sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless. I want the B&O H9, but I was wondering if I should wait to next year to see what Sennheiser or B&H releases then or buy it now? If I buy it now, I won't buy any new ones next year.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #637 of 1,671
I have Sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless. I want the B&O H9, but I was wondering if I should wait to next year to see what Sennheiser or B&H releases then or buy it now? If I buy it now, I won't buy any new ones next year.

Senn has better noise canceling and you don't have to deal with the finicky touch controls. On the other hand, I do prefer the h9 sound. Read through this thread and you'll see H9 isn't flawless. If you're OK with the Momentum 2 I'd stick with them to see what else drops. Especially in wireless & noise canceling, better is yet to come.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #639 of 1,671
I don't find the touch controls to be finicky at all. I have absolutely zero issues with the controls. The one thing I do really hate is how inconsistent they are with pairing. When turning them on it's pretty much 50/50 if they will automatically connect to my previously used device or not. And something I feel like I have this battle with the power-switch in order for them to connect to my damn phone. It's infuriating. Especially after using the Apple AirPod's which automatically pairs like it's nobodies business, or the Bose QC35 which is also do a much better job in terms of pairing, especially if you use multiple devices. But inconsistent pairing seems to be the norm. Besides the Apple AirPod's and Bose QC35 I seem to have this issue with pretty much every bluetooth devices I have ever touched.

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #640 of 1,671
Haven't tried ZMF Atticus or Senn HD800 but the AEON is amazing. I haven't done a side by side of AEON and H9, but as a fan of H9 sound the AEON really appealed to me. The AEON is flatter, has a better sound stage, has better detail, and is more comfortable than H9.

I tried the MDR-1000x and I didn't get the hype. Maybe I'm a basshead in denial, but there was just no texture to the lower end with 1000x (or QC35, or Momentum 2.0) when compared with H9. Could differentiate kicks/bass etc. Granted, after listening to less bass emphasised headphones, I realized the H9 overdoes it in that department and goes polite rather than for resolution on the high end. But with the EQ in the app I'm able to find a happy middle ground (actually all the way away from the bass range). I just wish the EQ would stick when the app closed =\

As always the only thing to do is go listen... see for yourself =)

Thanks for the quick compare of the differences between the AEON's and H9's...it's hard to see many of those comparisons since the H9's seem to be less popular on these forums.

Regarding the MDR-1000x, I definitely agree that there was something less engaging while I was previewing the 1000x's. They would be a clear winner if ANC was the most important feature to me, but otherwise they're pretty average to my ears, not to mention all the bad press about headband durability.

Even if the AEON's excel in multiple areas over the H9, I can't help but think that owning 2 pairs of $400-$500 headphones (P7 Wireless and H9 seem to complement each other well) with different sound signatures is more appropriate for my musical tastes than a single pair.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #641 of 1,671
I received a warranty replacement from B&O for my H9 and they sound way louder than my original H9. My old headphones had developed a problem connecting via bluetooth. I don't know if this is a revised version or maybe the old unit was defective from the very beginning. The volume would be low even on the highest volume, making them useless for travel. I also notice the ANC works better as well. I am very satisfied with the performance now and B&O customer service was great.

EDIT: After updating to 5.0.1 the volume is low again. I should have kept it stock, the sound was much louder and the ANC was better too. I don't know what the update did but it made it worse again.

EDIT2: I did a reset on the headphones after the update, they are still on 5.0.1 but the sound is loud again, wow.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #642 of 1,671
Is the ANC better after 5.0.1 as well?

Glad you had good luck with RMA, I got mine RMA'd after bricking them and the unit that came back smelled like smoke and wouldn't stay turned on :astonished:

Anyway, at least BEO Care is friendly and always willing to help :baby: Have the units shipping back and will try my luck a 3rd time...

In the meantime I've got OPPO PM-3 to hold me over. The sound signature is nothing like H9 (AEON is closer) but isolation is good enough for passive and hooooly I hear what the planar hype is about. My girlfriend's favorite set of headphones now as well so we have to take turns which rarely happens :smirk: She says OPPO isn't as well regarded a brand as HIGHER but likes that it's chinese :boot:

Another combo for people in the thread to consider if noise isolation isn't the #1 feature: TMA-2 S02-E06 combination. The wireless H05 band is coming out end of the month and this set of headphones is one I keep coming back to over and over. The bass is there, not quite as overwhelming as on the H9 but still a headphone that makes you want to dance. I find the sound signature on these to be perfect for enthusiast listening, everything is perfectly balanced for it to stand out, I don't feel like I'm reaching for anything (bass on the OPPO is accurate, which is to say a bit thin for me). It also has great stage for a closed back, I think the combination of leatherette and not having a super seal (isolation isn't great) lets the sound bloom. When I'm jamming in the office (no significant background noise, not doing critical listening/tracking/mixing) they're perfect. And AIAIAI has free shipping and 30 day returns if you're just curious to try it out and see if the sound works for you. Brilliant company (they had me at modular, I build synths too) and just a stone's throw away from BEO offices

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #643 of 1,671
Wow I can't believe the headphones smelled so bad, I'm glad they are sending you another pair. I always wanted to try the Oppo PM-3 and the Audeze Sine. The ANC is back working better than the original pair again :)

Is the ANC better after 5.0.1 as well?

Glad you had good luck with RMA, I got mine RMA'd after bricking them and the unit that came back smelled like smoke and wouldn't stay turned on :astonished:

Anyway, at least BEO Care is friendly and always willing to help :baby: Have the units shipping back and will try my luck a 3rd time...

In the meantime I've got OPPO PM-3 to hold me over. The sound signature is nothing like H9 (AEON is closer) but isolation is good enough for passive and hooooly I hear what the planar hype is about. My girlfriend's favorite set of headphones now as well so we have to take turns which rarely happens :smirk: She says OPPO isn't as well regarded a brand as HIGHER but likes that it's chinese :boot:

Another combo for people in the thread to consider if noise isolation isn't the #1 feature: TMA-2 S02-E06 combination. The wireless H05 band is coming out end of the month and this set of headphones is one I keep coming back to over and over. The bass is there, not quite as overwhelming as on the H9 but still a headphone that makes you want to dance. I find the sound signature on these to be perfect for enthusiast listening, everything is perfectly balanced for it to stand out, I don't feel like I'm reaching for anything (bass on the OPPO is accurate, which is to say a bit thin for me). It also has great stage for a closed back, I think the combination of leatherette and not having a super seal (isolation isn't great) lets the sound bloom. When I'm jamming in the office (no significant background noise, not doing critical listening/tracking/mixing) they're perfect. And AIAIAI has free shipping and 30 day returns if you're just curious to try it out and see if the sound works for you. Brilliant company (they had me at modular, I build synths too) and just a stone's throw away from BEO offices

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #644 of 1,671
The H9 is the sonic equivalent of lying in a bed full of fluffy pillows. It certainly doesn't have an audiophile audio signature but few portable cans meant for outdoor usage do. Audio-Technica's ATH-DSR9BT goes full-on audiophile, for example, and I've seen some reviews where it's mentioned the headphone sounds a little thin because the cans aren't bass-boosted to compensate for outdoor train\engine noise.

Anyway coming back to the H9, these were tuned for outdoor environments and if you're fine with a warm sound signature, you'll love these. I obviously can't speak for everyone, but once your brain adjusts to the H9's sound...yeah, fluffy pillows. It's unfortunate the ANC is so mediocre, but it works well enough, I guess. Every top-tier ANC can has its Achilles heel, unfortunately (the QC35 sounds boring, headband cracking on the 1000x, and imho the PXC550's build quality is nowhere near the competition's), ANC is the H9's.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #645 of 1,671
The Bose QC35 doesn't just sound boring, they have a really awkward EQ that does something really fishy with vocals and spoken word. They just sound off/wrong to my ears. I have loads of headphones and IEM's and even though every single one has a different sound signature, imaging etc.. None of them manages to make vocals and spoken word sound as awkward as the Bose QC35. Going from any of my other devices to the Bose QC35 when listening to vocal heavy songs, podcasts or audiobooks just sounds wrong and I have really hard time getting used to it unless I stick to using only the QC35 and nothing else and that's never going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back