B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 11, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #377 of 1,671
I would disagree. I think the Space One sound better. Most are overlooking due to no BT and PD/KEF are not exactly household names in headphones. H9 bests the SO in comfort, but that's about it for me. SQ is why I returned the H9

If someone is looking for an ANC headset to travel with, I argue it is. (Jack of all trades) And again if you absolutely need ANC, which is why people should be looking at the H9, no other sound better. Yes 1,000 headphones sound better but they don't have ANC.

To put simply; best in class. (For sound, comfort, design)

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #378 of 1,671
If someone is looking for an ANC headset to travel with, I argue it is. (Jack of all trades) And again if you absolutely need ANC, which is why people should be looking at the H9, no other sound better. Yes 1,000 headphones sound better but they don't have ANC.

To put simply; best in class. (For sound, comfort, design)

I've traveled with the Space One. You're just discounting it becuase you've never heard it - and it has ANC and designed for travel.

Yes, the H8 is more comfortable but I wore the SO on two 16 hour flights. The SO is not UNcomfortable -s just slightly less.

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #379 of 1,671
I just bought the H7, at first looks like the left cup is less loud than the right one, but now it looks OK.
But damn actually the H7 has pretty massive bass after tweak a little bit with the Equalizer, I use JetAudio Plus Player.
It sounds way better than the Sony 1000X, sounds perfect for me, but I just listen in my bed at the moment, tomorrow I take it in the subway in Paris... I don't have ANC, but I too poor to get H9.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #381 of 1,671
My H9 died on me. Not a battery issue. Just wouldn't power on. Sent it back to B&O and they've identified that it's a defective unit and are sending a replacement (brand new as opposed to refurbished). Pretty quick turnaround. Great service.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #382 of 1,671
have em since for a week now, been using momentum wireless for past 6 months.
build quality is great as expected, comfort also even tho momentum are a bit more comfortable for me.
SQ is better than momentum, but not that much (with ANC on).
connects instantly, while momentum takes like 5 seconds.
volume is OK for me, never had a need to go past 75% during indoor use and 90% while walking outside (same as with momentum).
ability to turn off ANC is great since wind is blowing almost constantly here and ANC can't deal with that.
no complaints on battery life, even better than advertised.
touch controls work good. took a while until I figured volume control, but no problems now. works with gloves which is great.

now, on to complaints..
sound with ANC off is really bad. just bass and nothing else. using "Clear" preset in beoplay app makes them sound better, BUT
headphones don't save state which makes the whole headphones+app combo pretty useless for me. If I change something in it and turn headphones off and back on, they will be in default state until I open the app again which makes the app apply the settings again. 
same goes with ANC. ANC is turned on every time you power on or connect the headphones to something.
it's a pain in the ass if you want to use them with ANC off to have to open the app every time after reconnecting the headphones to pick up the EQ preset and to turn off the ANC.

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #383 of 1,671
  have em since for a week now, been using momentum wireless for past 6 months.
build quality is great as expected, comfort also even tho momentum are a bit more comfortable for me.
SQ is better than momentum, but not that much (with ANC on).
connects instantly, while momentum takes like 5 seconds.
volume is OK for me, never had a need to go past 75% during indoor use and 90% while walking outside (same as with momentum).
ability to turn off ANC is great since wind is blowing almost constantly here and ANC can't deal with that.
no complaints on battery life, even better than advertised.
touch controls work good. took a while until I figured volume control, but no problems now. works with gloves which is great.

now, on to complaints..
sound with ANC off is really bad. just bass and nothing else. using "Clear" preset in beoplay app makes them sound better, BUT
headphones don't save state which makes the whole headphones+app combo pretty useless for me. If I change something in it and turn headphones off and back on, they will be in default state until I open the app again which makes the app apply the settings again. 
same goes with ANC. ANC is turned on every time you power on or connect the headphones to something.
it's a pain in the ass if you want to use them with ANC off to have to open the app every time after reconnecting the headphones to pick up the EQ preset and to turn off the ANC.

Give it a bit of time. The overpowering bass was my initial impression too, but it became less prominent with time. "Burning in", I guess.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #384 of 1,671

it's a pain in the ass if you want to use them with ANC off 

when they are turned on simply swipe down and ANC is turned off.  Rather quick and easy

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #385 of 1,671
  Give it a bit of time. The overpowering bass was my initial impression too, but it became less prominent with time. "Burning in", I guess.

they have about 40-45 hours of usage now.. but still hoping for that to happen.

when they are turned on simply swipe down and ANC is turned off.  Rather quick and easy

I know, true, it is. I was mainly pointing to the fact that they don't remember the last state.

for someone who will be using them with ANC on most of the time, it's a 1 step process - just connect and enjoy the music.
for someone who wants to use them with ANC off most of the time, it's a 3 step process - connect, open app to sync EQ, swipe to turn off ANC.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #386 of 1,671

they have about 40-45 hours of usage now.. but still hoping for that to happen.

I know, true, it is. I was mainly pointing to the fact that they don't remember the last state.

for someone who will be using them with ANC on most of the time, it's a 1 step process - just connect and enjoy the music.
for someone who wants to use them with ANC off most of the time, it's a 3 step process - connect, open app to sync EQ, swipe to turn off ANC.

Well, I can run this as an experiment. B&O are replacing my old H9 (which developed a fault) with a new pair. So if the new pair sounds bass-heavy to me, I'll know that burning in would have done *something* to the sound signature (and it's not just me adjusting my expectations over time).

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #387 of 1,671
Hi all, yesterday my H9 suddenly refused to connect to either my iPad Pro or iPhone as it had been doing just fine until then. Not sure what happened.

I have decided to return them to Amazon and am going to try the H7 and H6 V2 and see which I prefer. I just don't need the ANC so the H7 might make more sense being a little lighter and much better on battery life.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #390 of 1,671
I got my pair of H9s about 10 days ago and I am in love with them. Really great sound, comfortable, just enough ANC so you still feel a part of your surroundings, and rock solid from a usability standpoint, although I've accidentally called a few people now, trying to get the music to start again using the side touch controls. I am in Toronto Canada and these are perfect for TTC busses, and subway as well as Go Train. You can barely hear what stop they announce, which I like. I find the Bose ANC made me feel detached from my surroundings like I was in space or something, but the H9 get it right for me. I do enough walking around with them on that I WANT sudden and louder noises to get through, so I have my wits about me. Anyways- just want to chime in on these because I am delighted. As regards "low volume" I know there is a limit, but it's at a high enough level for me that I suspect it might just be for my own long term good!! I almost never turn these off and charge them often, so I have not noticed any battery issues. IMHO these have found a near perfect balance for my needs, and I really love the soundstage. FYI I am moving from a pair of B&W P5 Series 2. I'm not looking back at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back