B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #361 of 1,671
You can see it in the b&o iPhone app. Click on the settings logo then click on product info.

The H7 are very clean sounding, sometimes with some songs, they lack a bit of bass. Overall they are very good and they are able to have a louder sound compared to the H9, which I can't get very loud.
The H9 have more bass.

I don't know which I prefer actually

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #362 of 1,671
I also am having this happen. I have emailed B&O support, I will let you know once I hear something from them

I have previously mentioned this earlier in the thread.

I have also contacted B&O but they just gave a typical canned corporate response. Not acknowledging there is a problem or giving any solution. Even so I'm quite sure they will fix it in a firmware update. From what I can tell it is just an indication issue and the battery is being fully charged. We just have to be patient for the fix.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #363 of 1,671
Hey all

I'm new here, this thread was useful to me so I thought I'd jump on with my thoughts on these headphones.

My previous headphones were Plantronics Backbeat Pro which have light ANC, exaggerated bottom end and an overly hyped top. I recently purchased and returned the Bose QC35 (no bass whatsoever and glitchy as hell) and Sennheiser Momentum 2 (almost as glitchy as hell)

I'm a record producer so listen to loud music all day and primarily want headphones for my commute to work via bus then London underground. I listen mainly to bass driven music (dancehall, afrobeats, grime) so wanted a set with beautiful lows and open highs.

ANC - Light, similar to that found on Plantronics Backbeat Pro. In contrast I'd say the Bose QC35 have strong ANC and the Momentum 2's have mid level.

Sound - Exaggerated bottom end (imagine headphones with a sub built in, there's a real boom on bass lead tracks) that has a good deal of punch, very slightly veiled top end. Other than the bass I'd say these come close to accurately recreating my mixes, moreso than the QC35's and Momentum's, although there is a shade of top end missing that is present in my studio (on Focal Twin monitors). They also have a pretty good stereo field. Lots of people mention the low top volume, whilst this is true I'd say the top volume is just beyond a safe listening level. I find myself playing at top volume when on London underground at times and not wanting or needing more. Obviously this is a personal taste.

Comfort and build - Very comfortable, snug fitting. Very high quality build, a joy to wear to be honest.

Controls - Good but fiddly. It probably just takes some getting used to but I've once accidentally called the last dialled number and as it's a double tap on the right ear, and stop/play is a single tap.

Bluetooth - Pretty good. In comparison to my Backbeat Pro's which only glitches occasionally these only glitch ever so slightly more often. They always reconnect and never drop connection.

Overall I'm in love with these headphones and I'm so glad I found a pair that actually works properly and sounds great after having to return the QC35'S and Momentum's.

As a side note, the QC35's are seemingly crippled if you listen to bass heavy music and enter any situation where the ANC picks up bass. I've read many people online (but only one reviewer) mention this but they crackle and pop like crazy in this situation, nightmare!

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #364 of 1,671
So I sold my QC35's and repurchased the H9's. Had a chance to test the ANC on a short flight and it worked good enough, sounds and looks way better and no pressure on my ears like from the QC35's. Now I'm deciding whether to sell my P7W too which will be a tough decision.  :)

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #365 of 1,671
The H9's are seriously a jack of all trades. And undeniably the best sounding ANC headphones at the moment. (by far) With every report confirming they work very well on planes, what more do you want??? =)

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #366 of 1,671
  So I sold my QC35's and repurchased the H9's. Had a chance to test the ANC on a short flight and it worked good enough, sounds and looks way better and no pressure on my ears like from the QC35's. Now I'm deciding whether to sell my P7W too which will be a tough decision.  :)

Join the crowd!  I am in the same quandary.  I have not tested the H9's on an airplane however my wife did and was happy.  I trust her word - and yours!

The P7W.  Tough one.  I listened for several hours last night and I really think they sound better than the H9's - but that also makes sense as there is no ANC to muck things up.  Tempted to keep them - and I am going to take them on my next flight and see how they do compared to the H9. I don't expect much as there is no ANC however one never knows.  

Here is the other crazy thought I have.  I am really tempted to try the P9!  If it is significantly better that might be an interesting scenario - H9's for the airplanes and P9 for home (and I will have to make due without being wireless).  My listening scenario would be iPhone > Mojo (future purchase) > wired headphone.  Of course I always have the big 2 channel rig which gets most of my listening time.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #368 of 1,671
You can see it in the b&o iPhone app. Click on the settings logo then click on product info.

The H7 are very clean sounding, sometimes with some songs, they lack a bit of bass. Overall they are very good and they are able to have a louder sound compared to the H9, which I can't get very loud.
The H9 have more bass.

I don't know which I prefer actually

Thanks ! This is what I wanted to know, so they don't sound the same as some people said...

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #370 of 1,671
Thanks ! This is what I wanted to know, so they don't sound the same as some people said...

Actually I have have H7 and H9, I had H8 (most uncomfortable headphones from B&O, and too much bass, sounded like they tried too much)

Yes IMO the H7 and H9 sound very different. Like I said, the H7 are very "clean" sounding with very little bass. The H9 have more bass, but I think they lack an it of discant.

The batterylife on the H7 is amaaaaaaaazing and the icon on my iPhone is correct.
The H9 use more battery. I don't use ANC. The icon on my iPhone is incorrect.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #371 of 1,671
Thanks mate. I hope it is because of a software issue. Do you have software 5.0 in the H9? Mine are 5.0
My H7 are 9.xx something. It is strange that have a lower software version.

Here is the response I got from B&O:

Thank you for contacting Bang & Olufsen Customer Service regarding your BeoPlay H9.

The battery feedback from Beoplay H9 (and other Beoplay headphones) are limited to 10 steps (10, 20, 30 % etc. to 100%) steps in the Beoplay app and feedback to other devices. This means that if the battery drops to 99% (which it will do quite quickly), then the indication will show 90%. In future updates of software/hardware it will be possible to improve the steps of showing the battery capacity.

We have noted that some customer find the volume to low, and have forwarded this to the development. However, we have not communicated any software release yet. We are not able to say if the update will increase volume yet.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #372 of 1,671
Actually I have have H7 and H9, I had H8 (most uncomfortable headphones from B&O, and too much bass, sounded like they tried too much)

Yes IMO the H7 and H9 sound very different. Like I said, the H7 are very "clean" sounding with very little bass. The H9 have more bass, but I think they lack an it of discant.

The batterylife on the H7 is amaaaaaaaazing and the icon on my iPhone is correct.
The H9 use more battery. I don't use ANC. The icon on my iPhone is incorrect.

Ok, so which one you prefer in sound ? H7 or H9 ? 

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #375 of 1,671
  The H9's are seriously a jack of all trades. And undeniably the best sounding ANC headphones at the moment. (by far) With every report confirming they work very well on planes, what more do you want??? =)

I would disagree. I think the Space One sound better. Most are overlooking due to no BT and PD/KEF are not exactly household names in headphones. H9 bests the SO in comfort, but that's about it for me. SQ is why I returned the H9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back