B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #316 of 1,671

This is quite a complex thing, since we all have different taste, and preferences. Would be interesting to listen to another pair. Just to find out if they sound the same. Mine are bought via the Beoplay website. 

I bought a pair from Amazon and returned them due to the low volume over BT and ordered direct from B&O and I am returning those today due to low volume over BT. Someone had mentioned that they released a firmware update for the H7's that increased the max volume which gives me hope. For now, I have returned the H9 and I am in love with the H6 2nd Gen that arrived yesterday.

Side note: I went to the Apple Store yesterday to demo the Airpods and while they are FAR FROM audiophile quality sound, they are plenty loud, they have decent bass response/ok mids and highs and will be perfect for long conference calls, running, the gym and just casual listening on the go. I got the H6's (for at home use when I want that beautiful B&O Sound Signature) and the Airpods for less than what I paid for just the H9's so I am happy. I was really surprised by the Airpods. I thought for sure they would be terrible. The cool features really sealed the deal for me. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #317 of 1,671
  I bought a pair from Amazon and returned them due to the low volume over BT and ordered direct from B&O and I am returning those today due to low volume over BT. Someone had mentioned that they released a firmware update for the H7's that increased the max volume which gives me hope. For now, I have returned the H9 and I am in love with the H6 2nd Gen that arrived yesterday.

Side note: I went to the Apple Store yesterday to demo the Airpods and while they are FAR FROM audiophile quality sound, they are plenty loud, they have decent bass response/ok mids and highs and will be perfect for long conference calls, running, the gym and just casual listening on the go. I got the H6's (for at home use when I want that beautiful B&O Sound Signature) and the Airpods for less than what I paid for just the H9's so I am happy. I was really surprised by the Airpods. I thought for sure they would be terrible. The cool features really sealed the deal for me. 

So this seems to be a real thing then, and not just me? Unless you were really unlucky, What to do? Should i keep mine, and use a cable, and just hope for a update in the near future, or try to sell them? I will probably lose 100$ on selling them, since I can't return them, and get my money back. Tough decission... Or?

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #319 of 1,671
So this seems to be a real thing then, and not just me? Unless you were really unlucky, What to do? Should i keep mine, and use a cable, and just hope for a update in the near future, or try to sell them? I will probably lose 100$ on selling them, since I can't return them, and get my money back. Tough decission... Or?

I didn't want to take a chance so I decided to return for now. I feel like the H9's are so very close to perfect for me but the low volume is a fatal flaw that kills it for me. With the P7 Wireless, the sound is fantastic but the head strap hurts if worn for long periods of time.

I tried calling customer service but they were overloaded with calls. Feel free to give it a shot! At least so they are aware of the issues we see. 

That's a good idea. If they get flooded with enough complaints/constructive criticism, maybe they'll address it...

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #320 of 1,671
I didn't want to take a chance so I decided to return for now. I feel like the H9's are so very close to perfect for me but the low volume is a fatal flaw that kills it for me. With the P7 Wireless, the sound is fantastic but the head strap hurts if worn for long periods of time.
That's a good idea. If they get flooded with enough complaints/constructive criticism, maybe they'll address it...

With this being B&O's new flagship product in it's category, and the fact that people are already complaining about it, should really be enough for them to adress the problem. I have been in contact with customer service twice, but still waiting for a reply. Hopefully this will be fixed very soon.

Did the H7 get the same kind of update??

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #322 of 1,671
I returned the H9 today. The B&O Store gave me a touch of flak since it was 30 days but ultimately, even though it's less comfortable, I prefer the sound of the Space One.

I keep hearing people mention the Space One. I need to do some research.
Edit: I'm doing some research on the Space One. I'm super happy with my H6's. I'm curious if the Space One are even worth checking out? I've been disappointed so many times in the past two months with the Bose QC35, Sony MDR1000x, Sony MDX950BT, Sennheiser PXC550 & Momentum 2 Wireless, Beats Solo 3 (I tried giving them the benefit of the doubt), Bose QC30, B&W P7 Wireless (sound was great but they hurt my head) and the B&O H9. I've returned them all and finally got the 2nd Gen H6's. I don't even know if I have the energy to try another pair!! Haha.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #323 of 1,671
Hey everyone, I got my pair of H9's today and so thought I would chime in with some of my initial thoughts:

1.) The low volume issue is certainly a REAL issue, but only on bluetooth. When the headphones are wired, they perform just as loud as my QC15's. But when they are on bluetooth, I would say they are about 25% quieter (in other words, the max volume on bluetooth is equivalent to ~75% volume when wired). The volume simply does not get loud enough while on bluetooth -- this is coming from a 24-year-old who has no difficulty in hearing. Just for reference, I played music from both Spotify and Apple Music on my iPhone 6S with the same results. My headphones were purchased from BHphotovideo (no sales tax outside NY).

2.) I'm far from the best to judge on SQ as the only decent headphones I have to compare them with are my QC15's. Nonetheless, I would say the quality is good, but nothing extraordinary. I think they need some time to burn-in, because the treble isn't as sharp as I would want it to be. Also, the bass is quite deep as others have mentioned, but I wouldn't necessarily say too deep.

3.) Not sure why people have been criticizing the touch controls...they worked just fine for me. You do have to be conscious of how you touch the headphones, but the controls would always work.

To be honest, for $500 B&O headphones I expected more. If B&O doesn't come out with a firmware update to fix the volume issue, I'll probably return these.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #324 of 1,671
  I returned the H9 today. The B&O Store gave me a touch of flak since it was 30 days but ultimately, even though it's less comfortable, I prefer the sound of the Space One.

I wonder how long until a wireless Space One shows up. After owning the B&W P7 Wireless for a few weeks now (my first wireless cans) I don't think I could ever go back to a wired-only pair.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #326 of 1,671
Well all of this talk about the H6 gen 2 has me really thinking and tempted. I was more or less settled on the H9 for airline travel (not a road warrior- just domestic vacation 4-5 times and Intnl. Twice a year) and treating myself to P7 wireless for home. I read an interesting comment on the P7 w thread about the H6 having a huge soundstage- light and open back feeling- and I am tempted to also give them a try.

Any more comments comparisons between these three - H9-H6 2nd-P7W? I have a feeling many here are like me - bouncing between these three threads on the forum.

H6 on an airplane? Impossible? Limited but acceptable (like the P7)?

H6 from an iPhone 7- I guess either the Apple supplied dongle or Dragonfly (of which there seem to be problems)

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #327 of 1,671
H6 on an airplane wouldn't be pretty but they have the best sound around IMHO. I have the H6, H6 2nd Gen, H9, QC35 and P7W and H6 when for me on sound and comfort. I have an iPhone 7 so the H6's work with the dongle of course but I'm at a point that a wire hanging down drives me nuts so I usually only listen to the H6's if I won't be walking around.  :)

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #328 of 1,671
Thanks
That is why I think the H9's are staying with me for airplane use.

Now - if I wanted something for home use - what are some of the differences you are finding between the H6 2nd and H9? H6 2nd and P7W?

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #329 of 1,671
For sound quality which of course is very subjective I have the ones I have in the order best to still very good: H6, H6 2nd Gen, P7W, H9, QC35 but I think they all sound pretty good. P7W has the most bass but it is well controlled and the H6's the least bass, which is why I love them, a very natural and neutral sound. I listen to the P7W the most as again I'm done with putting up with wires most of the time and would rather the convenience of no wires for a slightly inferior sound. I love the look of the B&O's, they are as much fashion to me, they are also the most comfortable although the QC35's are too. The P7W are the heaviest and too tight on the head and although well made they don't look nearly as nice as any of the B&O again IMHO. Finally if I could only keep 2 pair they would be the H9 for travel, walking around and H6 for sitting. If the P7W had ANC it would be a much harder choice but I do travel Internationally several times a year so need ANC in at least one pair of headphones.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #330 of 1,671
Oh, meant to add that my perfect headphone would be a wireless H6 with ANC or to put it another way the H9's as they are with the H6's sound.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back