B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jan 4, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #286 of 1,671
  Hear differently ? yes and no, you know if there is difference between 2 differents devices or not ? Two H7 should have the same sound, if not there is one with a default. Ok so I will try it at store if I found the H9.

A good example: I've heard the 1000X. There's not a lot of bass on it. You say there is so much more bass. Order a pair of H9s or go into a store with your DAP.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #289 of 1,671
As I'm breaking in my new NW-WM1A, I've been switching between the Space One and the H9. The thing that sticks out at me soncially is that the H9 is more "relaxed" if you will. The Space One is a more up front, lively presentation which makes it appear to have more detail and resolution. The H9 does have good low bass, but you don't feel it in the same way as the Space One (think Moog Taurus pedals). The H9 does have good detail - make no mistake.

The 1A drives the H9 better than the ZX1, so it's been easier to do comparisons. I added a touch of EQ on the 1A for the non-DSD files and it's amazing what a tweak here and there can do. At first blush, you may think the sound of the H9 is more "flat" in comparison. A good example is the album "All the World's s Stage" by Rush (new 2015 192/24 mastering). But it's not, really. Once you account for the slight volume difference between the two, they're more similar than different in many ways. The differences are interesting, but none are "deal killers", so it boils down to preferences in what you like in terms of sound.

If I can equate it to anything, the Space One is more like listening to all solid state and a clean signal chain while the H9 is warmer - not quite an all tube setup per se, but those kinds of sonic differences are how I'd characterize them. Warm tends to have slightly less accurate but pleasing bass ("wooly"), whereas solid state can have lots of punch but may not be what you want for all kinds of music.

It's been interesting because both have pros and cons. Having used the Space One on very long flights, I know it's not fatiguing, but I can tell the H9 definitely would not be.

Just thought I'd update my impressions.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #292 of 1,671
Hi
I am going to post this question here and on the B&W P7 wireless thread - since those are the two bluetooth headphones which I currently am demoing at my house.
I have only been posting on these threads after a many year long absence and I want to know how my old Grado RS1 is considered when compared to today's headphones?  Back in the day when I was active here (2003/4 and 2008) Grado's were all the rage as they were really the only high end phones available.  Today there are millions of cans around.  How have the Grado's aged?  Still considered a contender - or rather a dinosaur?  I have to admit the P7 wireless and H9 are both pretty impressive - even more so considering the fact that there are no wires.  How do the Grado's stack up?  Have not had the chance to hit up the attic and find them - together with my old LaRocco PPA.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #294 of 1,671
How does the P7W compare with the H6?

I believe the H6's sound much better and if you don't need ANC and don't mind a cable I would get them, also much cheaper.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #296 of 1,671
Still sticking to the Space One as your preferred set? One complaint I hear occasionally about the H9 is that the bass overwhelms the mids - sounds like you don't hear that.

I'm not sure re: Space One vs. H9. I'm leaning that way. I think I may have passed my return period for the H9. I think what I wrote before sums it up well: clarity/punch of the Space One vs. warmth/relaxed (but still fairly detailed) of the H9. The great equalizer is the comfort. I may just hang on to the H9 until my Japan trip and see which fares better. I already have used the SO on long flights. I know how that is.

As far with bass overwhelming the mids, take a song like Rush's "Driven" which is pretty crunchy and Geddy drops to a low D. You can EQ on the 1A to get the right balance. I can see where if you're not dickering with EQ a touch where the bottom end can be all bloom which can obscure some of the upper bass/lower mids. I think that's part of the "warm" sound. I think people are used to more attack, which can make it seem "mushy" but it's really not. Make sense? If anything, with ANC on, it tames some of the woofiness of the H9 vs. when it's off.

Another very midrange-y song  at points with a ton of bass is "Castle Walls" by Styx. It's a different presentation on both. You really "feel" the rumble of the Taurus pedals on the SO. The H9 drops low with good articulation on the Taurus, but you don't feel it as much. The SO has more air (example, the tom fills of John Panozzo). The SO feels bigger in terms of presence, almost like you're in the middle of the action, where as the H9 you're a few rows back in the audience. Both are pleasing, just in different ways. 

Where I do feel the H9 is weaker is the upper treble. I've noticed a touch of sibilance, and it's got that slightly artificial mushy thing which pretty much no one else but me can hear on things like cymbals. I'm using uncompressed music so that isn't it. Cymbals sound much better on the SO. A great example is "Hemispheres" by Rush - listen to the beginning.

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #297 of 1,671
Has anyone been able to charge theirs over 90%? When I check the charge % via my iPhone, the max it shows is 90% shown on the 'Batteries' widget. I have tried with multiple iPhones and an iPad. I also got a replacement H9 from Amazon, same issue. The indicator light on the headphones turns a solid green when done. I'm hoping/assuming it's either a software issue with iOS or the H9 firmware. I'm going to contact B&O.

Edit: When it's plugged in and charged it says 100%. But as soon as I disconnect, it shows 90%.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #298 of 1,671
Has anyone been able to charge theirs over 90%? When I check the charge % via my iPhone, the max it shows is 90% shown on the 'Batteries' widget. I have tried with multiple iPhones and an iPad. I also got a replacement H9 from Amazon, same issue. The indicator light on the headphones turns a solid green when done. I'm hoping/assuming it's either a software issue with iOS or the H9 firmware. I'm going to contact B&O.

Edit: When it's plugged in and charged it says 100%. But as soon as I disconnect, it shows 90%.

I didn't even notice until you said something but it seems like mine says 90% on a full charge as well.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #300 of 1,671
Hi

Bought these headphones today. They sound amazing, the comfort is top!
But they sound a little LOW at top volume.
The B&W P7 Wireless sound much higher at top volume.
I own BeoPlay H8, H9 and B&W P7 wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back