B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #211 of 1,671
I'm about to take my fourth flight with the H9. Have to say, couldn't agree with this more. No ANC ear pressure, just cancelling out the frequencies you don't want to hear that effect music quality. I've found the ANC to be plenty sufficient.

My main gripes are on the other part of the technology (plus the lack of hard case): no NFC, no Bluetooth connections to multiple devices, no battery or connection notifications in the headphones, no ambient sound mode. The comfort, build quality, ANC, and SQ were well worth those shortcomings IMO

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #212 of 1,671
After using the H9s and reading others impressions I'm confident B&O has taken ANC in a new direction. Some perceive the lesser strength a disadvantage but I feel it's quite the opposite. Unobtrusive ANC is the next best thing. It allows for superior sound quality while still keeping the sound stage isolated. I found it interesting some people were quickly dismissing the H9s just because the ANC has less strength than the QC35 and Sonys. Seemingly falling a victim to "more is better" so "less must be worse" and thinking they are not worth buying. When in reality the ANC on the H9s ironically offer something more. Even if the H9s have a lighter touch with blocking unwanted noises, the fact that it's been reported enough/sufficient on an airplane should mean they don't need to be any stronger to be effective and enjoyable. To me the level of ANC on the QC35 is not the benchmark.

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #213 of 1,671
After using the H9s and reading others impressions I'm confident B&O has taken ANC in a new direction. Some perceive the lesser strength a disadvantage but I feel it's quite the opposite. Unobtrusive ANC is the next best thing. It allows for superior sound quality while still keeping the sound stage isolated. I found it interesting some people were quickly dismissing the H9s just because the ANC has less strength than the QC35 and Sonys. Seemingly falling a victim to "more is better" so "less must be worse" and thinking they are not worth buying. When in reality the ANC on the H9s ironically offer something more. Even if the H9s have a lighter touch with blocking unwanted noises, the fact that it's been reported enough/sufficient on an airplane should mean they don't need to be any stronger to be effective and enjoyable. To me the level of ANC on the QC35 is not the benchmark.

This is why I've been saying it's all a tradeoff. If your #1 conern is ANC, don't consider headphones like the H9 or Space One. Both of those have good, but not "the best", ANC to allow for better SQ. These headphones are made for doing things like cutting the low end drone from planes. Want to cut out all sound and not even be able to hear a whisper of a conversation? Nope, not these.

When you're on a plane for 6, 10, 12, 15 hours things like comfort matter. I'm not just talking about build quality and how things sit on your head. The pressure from some ANC cans is very real and can be bothersome for some folks.

Always have your requirements well thought out. Sit down and make your own pros/cons list.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #214 of 1,671
When you're on a plane for 6, 10, 12, 15 hours things like comfort matter. I'm not just talking about build quality and how things sit on your head. The pressure from some ANC cans is very real and can be bothersome for some folks.

Exactly what my wife said to me after her 8 hour flight. The Sony's stayed in her bag while the H9's stayed on her head. She was very happy.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #215 of 1,671
Exactly what my wife said to me after her 8 hour flight. The Sony's stayed in her bag while the H9's stayed on her head. She was very happy.

This year I flew 105,000 miles, and went to AUstralia, Europe/the UK twice, and China in addition to all my domestic travel. Many people fly more than me, of course, but there's a reason I'm always looking at newer/possibly better. The flight from Boston to Hong Kong is 15ish hours direct. If your headphones are uncomfortable (whatever that means to you), they're useless.

Dec 29, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #216 of 1,671
I think M&D make some of the coolest looking headphones.
With sound quality only in question, how do the H9s and MW60 compare?

And I was also curious about the burn in times. Good to hear the bass subsides. I feel they slightly change as they warm up. Becoming less harsh.

SQ is a very interesting question as it is very personal, nonetheless I will try to answer the question.
Personally I don't like B&W speakers, headphones etc... They are great "tools", but essentially that is what they are. They are analysing tools. I have owned 800 series as well as a P7 and each time it came down to the same thing, very analytical.
I like to listen to music, I like to try to relive concerts I have been to.
That is why I love B&O, they are warm speakers and bring music to life. Dali speakers have that same effect. Both speakers or headphones have that signature.
For me the M&D crank it up a notch on the fun side. Music becomes even more alive, and if that is what you are looking for then these are great, and to that point better then B&O.
But if you are looking for an analytical device, then buy P7. 

Again, SQ is very personal but I hope I was able to answer you question in a satisfactory manner.

Enjoy the holidays!

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #217 of 1,671
How are the H9 and P7 in terms of comfort- specifically the pressure on top of the head?
And is the H9 significantly better for use on public transport (bus)?
I lost my momentum wireless in an airport/train station recently and am looking for the best wireless headphones to
replace them. I still own the plantronics backbeat pro which I can't use since my head hurts after using them for even a
short amount of time, because of their weight and lack of adequate padding on the headband.
At home I use sennheiser hd558's over beyer dt880's usually due to better padding on the headband.
From what I can tell the H9 and P7 are the best wireless headphones currently available, and there isn't that much info
on them, so I would appreciate advice from anyone who has tried both:
Which would you pick for general outside use including the bus? Do either of these press down on the head too much?
is the sound on the P7 significantly better?
Thanks in advance

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #218 of 1,671
  How are the H9 and P7 in terms of comfort- specifically the pressure on top of the head?
And is the H9 significantly better for use on public transport (bus)?
I lost my momentum wireless in an airport/train station recently and am looking for the best wireless headphones to replace them.
I still own the plantronics backbeat pro which I can't use since my head hurts after using them for even a short amount of time, because of their weight and lack of adequate padding on the headband.
At home I use sennheiser hd558's over beyer dt880's usually due to better padding on the headband.
From what I can tell the H9 and P7 are the best wireless headphones currently available, and there isn't that much info on them, so I would appreciate advice from anyone who has tried both:
Which would you pick for general outside use including the bus? Do either of these press down on the head too much? Is the sound on the P7 significantly better?
Thanks in advance

Comfort on the H9 is far superior then with the P7 unless you have very large ears.
No pressure on the head from the H9
H7 has no ANC so outside the H9 is way better.

The SQ on the P7 isn't better then the H9. It is different. It highly depends on what you are looking for. As previously states P7 is more analytical sound, the H9 is a musical sound. Keeping in mind that you would use these for commuting the choice is very simple the H9.

Order both and send the one back you like least.

Happy holidays 

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #219 of 1,671

Comfort on the H9 is far superior then with the P7 unless you have very large ears.
No pressure on the head from the H9
H7 has no ANC so outside the H9 is way better.

The SQ on the P7 isn't better then the H9. It is different. It highly depends on what you are looking for. As previously states P7 is more analytical sound, the H9 is a musical sound. Keeping in mind that you would use these for commuting the choice is very simple the H9.

Order both and send the one back you like least.

Happy holidays 

If I could order both and return one I would, but I live outside the U.S/Europe and they aren't available here, but I have friends who are in Europe now who might be able to pick them up.
Thanks a lot for the advice, and happy holidays

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #220 of 1,671

The SQ on the P7 isn't better then the H9.

I only own the P7 Wireless and haven't yet been able to audition the H9, but this contradicts all the comparisons I have read (I have listened to the H7).

Basically choosing which to go with will come down to one's top priority:

Noise cancellation: H9 (obviously)
Comfort: H9
Sound quality: P7

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #221 of 1,671

I only own the P7 Wireless and haven't yet been able to audition the H9, but this contradicts all the comparisons I have read (I have listened to the H7).

Basically choosing which to go with will come down to one's top priority:

Noise cancellation: H9 (obviously)
Comfort: H9
Sound quality: P7

I understand what you are saying but the SQ on a P7 is not better then on an H9 when you are looking for a headphone that brings music to life. If you are looking for an analysing tool then the P7 is the way to go in that price category.
It is like comparing B&W against Dali. The same conclusion.

Moreover there is the easy of use. The touch use on the H9 is far superior and more intuitive then those the buttons on the P7. Keep in mind that the H9 can also be operated with gloves.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #223 of 1,671

I've read nothing but complaints about the touch controls on the H9.

Maybe you should stop reading and trying it out for yourself. Also I did a quick search and I couldn't find no real review of the H9, with the exception of the Hungarian guy on youtube whereby the issue is that he is using the outer circle instead of the inner circle. If he should have done that he wouldn't have had any issues.
I have had the H8, H7 and now the H9 and I haven't had any issues with the touch controls.

If there is a headphone out there that has issues with the touch controls then it is the Sony MDR-1000X. Volume up and down, previous and next track are no issues, but pauze, resume, Siri are an issue as you need to locate "the sweet spot" as these actions are touch actions and the other ones are swipe actions.

I have no preference when It comes to brands, that is why I have so many headphone, both BT and wired.
I am just trying to give a non biased info to inquiries of other people. 

Enjoy the holidays!

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #224 of 1,671

Maybe you should stop reading and trying it out for yourself. Also I did a quick search and I couldn't find no real review of the H9, with the exception of the Hungarian guy on youtube whereby the issue is that he is using the outer circle instead of the inner circle. If he should have done that he wouldn't have had any issues.
I have had the H8, H7 and now the H9 and I haven't had any issues with the touch controls.

If there is a headphone out there that has issues with the touch controls then it is the Sony MDR-1000X. Volume up and down, previous and next track are no issues, but pauze, resume, Siri are an issue as you need to locate "the sweet spot" as these actions are touch actions and the other ones are swipe actions.

I have no preference when It comes to brands, that is why I have so many headphone, both BT and wired.
I am just trying to give a non biased info to inquiries of other people. 

Enjoy the holidays!

I'll +1 this. As a longtime H8 owner (used BT a handful of times for calls), the controls are easy and intuitive. I never had any issues.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #225 of 1,671
On the H9's touch controls. In my experience the volume I fight with a bit but the others work quite well and I would rather have it the way it is than not at all.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back