B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #196 of 1,671
Hi all, a few questions on the B&O H9.

I currently have a set of RHA 750i in ear and do like them. Is the H9 going to be on another level of sound quality from something like that? I typically will be using Apple Music streaming.

I would also like to use the H9 with my PS4 wired and be able to use the microphone, is that possible, either with the included cable or another?

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #197 of 1,671

Just what I want to hear.  Looking forward to trying them out on the plane in the next couple of weeks.  I am also going to bring the P7 wireless along for the ride - curious to see how they will do without built in ANC

Assuming the P7 wireless are like the P7s, you'll want to kill yourself (well, not really) on a plane. Zero isolation worth a darn.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #198 of 1,671
Hey guys, I just want to say I'm very pleased with the H9s. Although they are not anything like my JH16s; they are very nice to listen to. It's true they are a bit bass heavy, but to me it's not that bad and most of the time I wouldn't change it if I could. The rest of the frequencies are nicely balanced and don't mix too much. There is an overall clean open sound stage. The comfort is unbeatable and the build quality is outstanding. I haven't had any Bluetooth issues and to me the ANC is more than sufficient for air travel or anything of the like. One thing I don't like is the redial last call feature. There needs to be an update to allow it to be disabled. They may not be perfect, but there are very few compromises if you're looking for Bluetooth ANC headphones with good battery life. It's nice to know these are indisputably the best sounding Bluetooth ANC headphones at the moment.

I have 3 questions:
1. Is there any firmware to update with? I only see H7 and H8 firmware via the B&O updater.
2. Has anyone tried using them with the 4th generation apple tv? I seem to be getting choppy sound. No such issues with other video sources from my phone or laptop.
3. Any way to disable redial double tap feature?

Cheers

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #199 of 1,671
to me the ANC is more than sufficient for air travel or anything of the like.

Does this comment come from your impressions or have you actually tried the H9 on an airplane ?

Thanks

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #200 of 1,671
I get the feeling that these headphones aren't given the time to be proper burned in. I have had them now for 3 weeks and the bass is starting to get weaker to the point where I don't need to use the app anymore. Also mechanical everything starts to fit very comfortable.
There is no such thing as the perfect headphone for all situation, hence I use as you 3 headphones.

1. In house my Master & Dynamic MW60
2. Outside the house, commute, office etc H9
3. Travel MDR-1000X

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #201 of 1,671
Hey guys, I just want to say I'm very pleased with the H9s. Although they are not anything like my JH16s; they are very nice to listen to. It's true they are a bit bass heavy, but to me it's not that bad and most of the time I wouldn't change it if I could. The rest of the frequencies are nicely balanced and don't mix too much. There is an overall clean open sound stage. The comfort is unbeatable and the build quality is outstanding. I haven't had any Bluetooth issues and to me the ANC is more than sufficient for air travel or anything of the like. One thing I don't like is the redial last call feature. There needs to be an update to allow it to be disabled. They may not be perfect, but there are very few compromises if you're looking for Bluetooth ANC headphones with good battery life. It's nice to know these are indisputably the best sounding Bluetooth ANC headphones at the moment.

I have 3 questions:
1. Is there any firmware to update with? I only see H7 and H8 firmware via the B&O updater.
2. Has anyone tried using them with the 4th generation apple tv? I seem to be getting choppy sound. No such issues with other video sources from my phone or laptop.
3. Any way to disable redial double tap feature?

Cheers

1. Currently no update available.
2. I have connected them with the Apple TV 4 and no problem. My experience with Apple TV is that from time to time you have to either restart them or remove the pairing and repair them
3. Currently not possible

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #202 of 1,671
I get the feeling that these headphones aren't given the time to be proper burned in. I have had them now for 3 weeks and the bass is starting to get weaker to the point where I don't need to use the app anymore. Also mechanical everything starts to fit very comfortable.
There is no such thing as the perfect headphone for all situation, hence I use as you 3 headphones.

1. In house my Master & Dynamic MW60
2. Outside the house, commute, office etc H9
3. Travel MDR-1000X

Do you like your MW 60s? How would they function as travel/commuter headphones? Just curious your opinion

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #206 of 1,671
The MW60 are great but suitable for commute. they have to much leak. I was able to "fix" it by buying the alcantara ear cups but nonetheless they still have to much leak, and that off course goes both ways.

I think M&D make some of the coolest looking headphones.
With sound quality only in question, how do the H9s and MW60 compare?

And I was also curious about the burn in times. Good to hear the bass subsides. I feel they slightly change as they warm up. Becoming less harsh.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #208 of 1,671
My impressions after first 5 days:
  1. Notably more bass (with Bluetooth) than with Beoplay H6 Pepsi Limited Edition, but feels good and bass does not disturb.
  2. Surprisingly good ANC (my first headphones with ANC) and surprisingly handy to have headphones without the wire for a change.
  3. Good for workplace and good for commuting.
  4. No notable weight difference with H6.
  5. Comfortable to wear for hours.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #209 of 1,671
Hi guys
Happy owner of the H9 for a week now, and I just took the plane with them so I figure a few would want to hear my opinion.
For the record, I never tried the B&W P7 (love the P5s though), nor the Sony MDR.
Also, I will talk about the wireless experience as it's the thing people want to know about.

> I own the H7, which I love, and the H9 are just the upgrade I wanted.

> Design (argilla grey for me), build quality...etc : I guess there's no real debate here. They're gorgeous.

> I was surprised by the sound signature. Bass-heavy indeed. It surprised me at first. So far, I use the app, which is great, and the H9s respond perfectly. You can see that it's quality when you move that EQ, it responds smoothly and notably. I read that after burn-in, the sound got less bassy, so that's good to know but I'm fine using the app.

> ANC. I have to say that I knew ANC wouldn't be that powerful, or at least as powerful as the qc35 (which I owned) (never tried the Sonys), mostly because I had read it on here. But that was not a problem for me, on the contrary. Nonethelesw, I still bought the H9 because of it (to upgrade my H7) so it was a big deal for me. See, the reason I returned my QC35 was that the ANC was actually too powerful, in a way it affects the experience, it affects sound quality by putting a sort of pressure on sound (in my experience anyway). To me ANC must be clever. It must eliminate the frequencies that will affect your listening, that willreally distort the sound signature of your headphones. It must not eliminate all surrounding noises. You don't judge ANC by putting it on with no music. I think b&o have the same vision. And I'm very happy with the H9's ANC, as it's really important to me, I take the train to work everyday. It allows me to enjoy my music perfectly, even though I can sometimes hear a guy speaking, a car honking or any everyday urban noise. The lower frequencies that affect my listening are cleaned very well, and my music detaches itself clearly and enjoyably.
So in the plane, it was the same. You have many different noises in a plane, at various frequencies. I could still hear some of them, but my musical experience was made very enjoyable thanks to the H9's ANC and the good people at B&O.

Cheers

Xavier

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #210 of 1,671
Xavier

Thank you very much for your post.

Attached is a copy of a post I just made on the P7 wireless thread:

I have both the H9 and P7 wireless in house and might keep both. I was hoping to test the H9 on an airplane however something unexpected kept me home.

For what it is worth my wife (nor an audiophile) went without me and brought along the Sony X1000 and the H9. While she felt the Sony's (obviously) had the better ANC she kept the H9 on for most of the flight. The ANC on the Sony bothered her with too much pressure effect. I also noticed this with the Sony's however it was less bothersome than the QC35's.

When I asked how the H9 performed on the flight she said "quite well and it definitely cut out most of the engine noise- no problem at all using them on the airplane"

The comments I have seen on this thread lead me to believe the P7's will be useless on an airplane. As such, for me, the H9's remain my only choice. I used a pair of Etymotics for 10 years and do not want to go back to uncomfortable IEM's. Wireless is also very liberating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back