B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 22, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #166 of 1,671

Or why couldn't B&W release P7 Wireless with ANC?
That'd be the *almost perfect headphones for me.

* I still prefer the comfort and design of B&O to B&W.

I totally agree with both things you said. P7 Wireless with good ANC would be fantastic and I WAY prefer design and comfort of B&O to any other company including B&W.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #167 of 1,671
I will be getting the H9's today. They will be replacing my H7's as I need ANC while on the bus to and from work. I don't need great ANC, just something that will help me slightly compared to the complete lack on my H7's. Getting sceptical after reading the latest posts here. I love my H7's, so I expect the H9's to deliver the same sound quality, hopefully with a tad bit warmer sound compared to the H7.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #168 of 1,671
  I will be getting the H9's today. They will be replacing my H7's as I need ANC while on the bus to and from work. I don't need great ANC, just something that will help me slightly compared to the complete lack on my H7's. Getting sceptical after reading the latest posts here. I love my H7's, so I expect the H9's to deliver the same sound quality, hopefully with a tad bit warmer sound compared to the H7.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #169 of 1,671
I'm flying from LHR to IAH today, and I plan to provide a supplement to my previous review (which was on the flight heading out this way). Although it is tempting to trade these for the stunning ANC of the Sony MDR-1000x, I'm currently leaning on keeping them based on SQ, comfort, style, and "adequate" noise cancellation.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #170 of 1,671
Thanks guys for all the H9 feedback guys, it's helped confirm my decision to go with the P7 Wireless, which actually arrived on my doorstep last night. Right out of the box they sound amazing and they look and feel like a million bucks. I've handled the H7 and while the B&Os are well built and comfortable, the B&Ws honestly look and feel like they are worth an extra $100 build-wise. The fully leather-wrapped headband, the polished aluminum (or is it stainless steel?), the leather on the **back** of the earcups - and dang if the things don't **smell** like pure luxury - the P7 seems to be in a class of its own for a wireless headset. What a gorgeous product.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #171 of 1,671
Or why couldn't B&W release P7 Wireless with ANC?
That'd be the *almost perfect headphones for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens someday. :)

I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sound as great as the current P7 wireless. :frowning2:

Oh, and here's the first YouTube review of the H9 I've seen:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dkJx6Ft6J6o

The review is quite shallow, but the reviewer is extremely unimpressed. :frowning2:

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #172 of 1,671
First impressions on the H9's are just as expected. These are H7+ANC. They sound 99% identical to my H7's which I have been using for the past year. If there is anything different, it must be that they are a tiny bit warmer, but I think that's just the effect ANC has on the overall sound signature. I feel the audio feels slightly more condensed and warmer with ANC on.

The ANC itself has it's positives and negatives. It's undoubtedly one of the "easier" ones on the market. It's not as aggressive as the Bose QC25 and QC35 or the Sony MDRX1000. The positive thing with this is that you don't get that "vacuum" feeling those gives, and I have yet to have any issues with bumps while riding the bus gives some awkward effects in the headphones like it normally gives with QC35. Another positive is that it doesn't really affect the overall sound quality that much. The sound feels somewhat more condensed and warmer with ANC on, but it's not a huge difference. With other headphones with more aggressive ANC I tend to not like what ANC does with the overall sound quality so I only activate it when I feel the need for it, and then I normally dislike the sound until I can deactivate ANC. This is not the case with the H9's.

The negative is quite obvious. The ANC is "lacklustre" compared to QC35 and MDR1000X. There is no denying the fact that it doesn't block out noise as efficient as those. For me they do a good enough job. I will keep with ANC disabled when not commuting to work, and when I commute it's not a bus and the ANC manages to do exactly what I want, block out the irritating noise while on the bus. Does it block it out completely? Nope. But it blocks out enough for it to get out of my focus, and that's enough. But I have a very hard time believing these will help you much on a airplane.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #173 of 1,671
  Does it block it out completely? Nope. But it blocks out enough for it to get out of my focus, and that's enough. But I have a very hard time believing these will help you much on a airplane.

You'd be surprised.  I'm in my second trans-Atlantic flight with them and they're doing a very good job blocking certain frequencies of engine noise and general airplane noise.  I haven't completely decided yet, but I think they job they do is actually pretty good.  My main remaining uncertainty rests in whether the objectively superior ANC of the Sony should be my primary focus outweighing the many pros of the H9.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #174 of 1,671
Despite all odds they arrived one day earlier. Although stuck somewhere in the UK, I contacted Amazon UK customer support and here they are (Athens Greece). THANK YOU AMAZON UK! Ok first impressions? No more strange noises from Bluetooth! The bass is increased compared to H7's performance right out of the box. That can be changed through the beoplay app though. Can't comment on the anc I am on vacation leave so I will have to wait a little for the ultimate test vs the underground. The anc does lift a "vail" especially from mids. The beoplay app suffers a little bit in the s7 edge's interface. It sometimes crashes. I think an app update should be underway. No need to comment on build quality... uncompromising. Box contains same as H7 first gen that means no decent case just a fashionable bag. Thanx to my Gocase f2 I won't have to worry about that. More sound tests to come later on.

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #178 of 1,671
H9 SQ opinions are all over the map.

Where else have you seen opinions (other than this thread) - would appreciate some links please - thanks.

In my case I have both the H9 and B&W P7 wireless in the house for deciding.  One thing I know for sure - in my use scenario (airplanes)  - and I have yet to test on an actual flight - from a strictly SQ opinion as you mentioned above the H9 is way ahead of the Sony MX1000 and the Bose QC35 - which are the only two options I have for ANC on an airplane and which utilize the AAC codec for my iPhone 7+

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #179 of 1,671
  I promised another in-air update, so here we go.  After comparing the H9 repeatedly to the H6(v1) and comparing with ANC on and off, I can confirm that with no music playing the ANC is "good enough" to get rid of all of the low level engine noise/rumble and most of the fan-type wind noise.  And with music or movies playing at a reasonable volume, it's tough to hear any sound at all.  The same is not true for the H6 or when ANC is turned off on the H9. 

As a result, I think that the H9 is probably "good enough" at ANC to keep rather than going for the MDR-1000x, which has its own issues (but would destroy the H9 at ANC).  I'll be interested to see how many of you come to the same conclusion.

Thanks for this - you give me hope!  I will be bringing the H9 and P7 wireless with me in the next few weeks on a flight - and my wife will be bringing the Sony MX1000.  As long as the H9 is "good enough" for ANC that will be my keeper (unless the P7 wireless surprises with passive isolation and cuts out some of the aircraft noise and lets its glorious sound quality come through).  The Sony and Bose cannot hold a candle to the H9 when it comes to sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back