B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 20, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #151 of 1,671

On the H8 and Space One, I haven't had to crank the volume. The H8 and Space One don't add pressure, and from my short time with the H9 (albeit not on a plane yet), it's the same. You really don't get that pressure thing.

ANC IEMs generally sound terrible (I have had a few ...) and are even worse in terms of comfort, etc., on long flights. There's a reason I switched back to over or on ears a few years back after years of IEMs (including custom).

That's good to know.  I'll have to check those out.

I agree ANC IEMs leave a lot to be desired in sound quality.  My comment was specifically about their ANC implementation which has much less pressure than the Bose over-ear headphones.

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #152 of 1,671
  Erich6

I demoed the Bose QC35 and the new Sony X1000 at BestBuy.  The Bose, for me, were unwearable in that the pressure effect really annoyed me.  The Sony was much better in that the pressure effect did not bother me as much as the Bose.  The H9 - better still.  Quite honestly I don't even notice it.  Most likely this is a result of the ANC not being as powerful as the Bose and Sony.

Someone in this thread (or perhaps the B&W P7 thread) speculated that B&O might have taken a light handed approach to ANC so as not to compromise the signal quality.  I can see this as I am finding the H9 and P7 (which does not have ANC) to be similar in sound quality and both representing the best that wireless has to offer today.

My plan was to send back the P7 due to lack of ANC.  Since I have until the end of January to return them perhaps I might just keep them a little bit longer and take them on a flight and see how their passive isolation stacks up agains the H9 and its ANC.  My informal testing at home did not bode that well for them.  I stood in my laundry room with the dryer running (a somewhat constant pitched sound) and compared the two.  The H9 does not eliminate everything like the Sony can however a good chunk was gone.  The P7 really did not eliminate much.  I was standing literally right next to the dryer so perhaps the sound was even louder than that in an airline cabin.  We will see.

Waiting for some additional H9 reviews from people who have taken them on an airplane

​I'm looking forward to your test results! Thanks in advance for sharing with us.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #153 of 1,671

I don't doubt the ANC IEM's sound terrible. lol

Pertaining to your comment about custom IEM's though, I'm just curious, did you maybe get a bad mold of your ear? I have custom IEM's and I feel they are the end all of maximum comfort. I can literally wear them for a day without any strain on my ears. I also feel the risk is much lower for discomfort since you're only making contact in one place. Inside the ear. As opposed to over ear cans which can contact with your ear, around the ear, and top of the head. As well as more weight on your head. Anyway, I'm not doubting you, just curious. I've read IEM's aren't for everyone but I kind of figured if its a good custom fit, it would be hard to complain.

I love my JH16s! 

Nope, they fit just fine. I have custom earplugs for when I also play live or see concerts. All my molds were/are fine. The reality was for more than a few hours any IEM - custom or not - just didn't agree with me. The risk IMO is exactly opposite - much higher. Much easier to find a set of comfortable cans (over or on ear) than it is to find IEMs you agree with.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #154 of 1,671
Just received an update from amazon uk that they will miss their delivery date (friday the 23rd) due to the increased load that their carrier has to cope with. I depend on you guys. Send the darn reviews so that I cancel if need be!

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #155 of 1,671
Why are you thinking of canceling? Reviews seem to be quite good so far (I am happy!)

The only question left in my mind is how they will perform on an airplane. I don't expect the ANC to be Sony/Bose quality - but the sound is so much better - as well as the quality and comfort

For me - I'm waiting for more reviews on airplane performance

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #158 of 1,671
You don't like what - the headphone itself or beoplay.com?

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #159 of 1,671
I don't think they serve Greece. And the greek b&o representative is not that interested (if you look up my posts in the H7 thread you will see what I mean). Amazon UK also uses ups and it is them who delay my h9. However, amazon has already issued a refund for 12 gbp (no comments) and is trying to deliver despite the problems on the 23rd as initially predicted. It seems that my package is stuck somewhere close to Birmingham (East midlands?) so they will send a new package.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #162 of 1,671
I got my H9s yesterday and was able to do some testing with them last night.  Herewith a quick summary of my conclusions.

ANC - Using my recording of the engine noise from a 737 flight I was on, played back through my hifi system, I tried out the noise isolation on the H9s in comparison to my H7's (which I know don't have ANC, but are the headphones that I was planning on replacing with the H9's), my wife's old Bose QC 15s, and my current in-flight choice, my Shure SE846 IEMs with Comply Isolation Foam Tips.  The H9s placed firmly in the middle of the group.  They were very slightly better at isolating the engine noise than the SE846s, but slightly less effective than the Bose QCs.  When you consider that those Bose headphones are now pretty old, and certainly don't do as good a job as the newer versions, this shows that the H9s are considerably less effective than a new Bose set would be.  Of course this isn't a revelation to anyone.  What I think is interesting is that the H9s are only very slightly better than simple passive isolation, and I do mean slightly.  For me the quality of the sound is more important than some background noise in the very quiet passages, which is why I love the SE846s and based on my testing would not change them for the H9s for flying.  I discovered one factor that might influence some buyers, the ease of switching off the ANC on the H9s with a simple vertical swipe on the right earpiece.  Without the ANC on the H9s, like my H7s, do very little isolating, so on a flight it would be very easy to kill the ANC so as to be able to hear an announcement or the flight attendant, something that is not easy with my IEMs!

Sound Quality - I have a pair of H6s which I really like (they are the original version. I tried the 2nd version but much preferred the sound of the originals), a pair of H7s, a pair of H5s and a pair of Sennheiser HD 800S headphones, as well as the SE846s.   I have had a set of H8's but didn't like the sound quality.  For the H9s, my comparison was with the H7s not the Sennheiser or Shure. Clearly I am a fan of B&O, however, like other posters to this thread, I was not happy with the sound of the H9s.  I found the low end to be confused in comparison to the H7s and the real killer was testing some tracks with a strong bass beat to them.  The H9s rendered the sound as an unpleasant thump, rather than a note.  The same tracks on the H7s managed to maintain some musicality to the sound.  I used the Beoplay app to try to overcome the issue on the H9s, but doing so compromised the sound too much to be acceptable.

Bluetooth - Pairing seemed to be slightly more difficult for the H9s than for my H7s, but on the plus side, the H9s showed no sign of the slight background hiss that sometimes was just audible when a track was starting up on the H7s bluetooth connection.

Comfort - Whether it was just that my H7s have been used for a while I don't know, but the H9s were not as comfortable.  The clamping force was a little higher, the pads were a little stiffer and the shape of the pads was more straight sided.  I do have the grey version of the H7s whose tan leather is beautifully soft and was comparing to the black in the H9s.

Conclusion - I could not live with the bass sound on the H9s and have returned them.  Maybe it would have got better if I had burned them in for a hundred hours, but even then, there wasn't sufficient advantage to them to justify the expense of replacing the H7s.  If you are looking for a pair of ANC bluetooth headphones for flying where you are prepared to sacrifice some ANC performance for sound quality, I think that these fall just short of meeting that requirement in both directions, not enough ANC, and too little sound quality.  Of course, all of this is subjective and you may well find them ideal.  Without doubt they are beautifully made and a joy to own and handle.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #163 of 1,671
Thank you for the feedback.  Not exactly what I wanted to hear re your testing of ANC with a jet engine playback however those were your conclusions.  

I will be taking a long flight during the next several weeks and will be bringing the Sony X1000, H9, and B&W P7 wireless.  I have already discounted the Sony because the sound - compared to the B&O and B&W - is simply no where near close.  I was ready to return the P7's due to the lack of ANC.  At this point I have nothing to lose keeping them another few weeks to test against the H9 on the flight.  Perhaps the passive isolation will be equivalent to the weak ANC of the H9 - however thinking ahead I find this difficult to believe.  I guess we shall see.  It will be interesting.  I really will not go back to wired Etymotic's so compromises will have to be made.

I have seen several conflicting reports on the forum.  Some have said that the passive isolation of the B&W P7 wireless worked on an airplane - others (in this thread) have said that B&O's ANC worked on the airplane (not the H9 but another model.
I guess everyone has different levels which they are comfortable with.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #164 of 1,671
So my final update and post on the H9's. I have decided to return them and keep the H6v2 for everyday home, P7 Wireless for everyday outside home and QC35's for travel. I really really wanted to love them but the following were my reasons for sending them back:

1. The bass just wasn't good enough, especially compared to H6v2 and P7 Wireless. (muddy, too thumpy, not musical)
2. The ANC was fair but I travel internationally 4-6 times a year so decided I wanted the best for these trips which are the QC35's
3. They cost over $700 in Canada and were the only headphones still returnable

To be fair if I could have returned the QC35's for a full refund the decision between the two would have been tougher. Either way the P7 Wireless are the best sounding wireless headphones and were never going anywhere.

My final word...... Why couldn't they have sounded like the H6 series.  :frowning2: WHY! boo hoo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back