B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 18, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #136 of 1,671
I'm glad to see that B&O might have stepped up their headphone game recently. Beoplay H5 are pretty good and what I'm seeing here is that H9 is pretty good too, so maybe soon they can contend competitors like B&W. Not going to buy H9, since I never heard good sound out of Beoplay over ears and reliability of their bluetooth sets have been rather poor (my H5 is currently in warranty service 
frown.gif
), but maybe after couple successors come by they'll be on my list again. 

Dec 18, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #137 of 1,671

I doubt that there is any benefit (or at least any perceivable benefit) in Tidal HiRes if you're going to use bluetooth playback device (whether your headphones or car).  You might rethink whether Tidal is the best choice for you, given your use case.  One caveat:  If you're using a Sony device with LDAC and the 1000x's, it might make sense.

I'm also holding on to both the Sony 1000x's and B+O H9's.  The ANC on the H9's are good for a moderately loud office or walking around town -- and ok (but not great) on the subway -- but I have a feeling that for a long flight I'll want the Sonys.

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #140 of 1,671
My use scenario for these is strictly one - using them exclusively on an airplane. My priorities are sound - comfort - and then noise cancellation. As someone said on the P7 wireless thread the musicality and involvement of better sounding headphones will have me tuning in and grooving to the music - and help to forget about some of the outside noises. My requirements for noise cancelling are simple - drown out the engine sound so I can listen and groove to the tunes. If, as FenderP said, these do the job on the airplane then I will be very satisfied.

Here's the thing, if the noise cancellation is mediocre then you will need to turn up the volume high enough to get the engine noise low enough relative to the headphone signal to get anywhere close to the "musical" experience you find enjoyable. If the volume is too high you won't be able to stand listening to them for too long.

I suspect the H9 will be good enough in that regard because I've found passive isolation gets close (but not quite there) to that ideal state on my Meze 99 classics and Onkyo H500BT's.  That said, ANC may not be worth it, specially if it involves the annoying pressure effect you get from over-ear Bose HPs (I think their ANC IEMs are much better with little pressure effect). 

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #141 of 1,671
Erich6

I demoed the Bose QC35 and the new Sony X1000 at BestBuy.  The Bose, for me, were unwearable in that the pressure effect really annoyed me.  The Sony was much better in that the pressure effect did not bother me as much as the Bose.  The H9 - better still.  Quite honestly I don't even notice it.  Most likely this is a result of the ANC not being as powerful as the Bose and Sony.

Someone in this thread (or perhaps the B&W P7 thread) speculated that B&O might have taken a light handed approach to ANC so as not to compromise the signal quality.  I can see this as I am finding the H9 and P7 (which does not have ANC) to be similar in sound quality and both representing the best that wireless has to offer today.

My plan was to send back the P7 due to lack of ANC.  Since I have until the end of January to return them perhaps I might just keep them a little bit longer and take them on a flight and see how their passive isolation stacks up agains the H9 and its ANC.  My informal testing at home did not bode that well for them.  I stood in my laundry room with the dryer running (a somewhat constant pitched sound) and compared the two.  The H9 does not eliminate everything like the Sony can however a good chunk was gone.  The P7 really did not eliminate much.  I was standing literally right next to the dryer so perhaps the sound was even louder than that in an airline cabin.  We will see.

Waiting for some additional H9 reviews from people who have taken them on an airplane

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #142 of 1,671
My plan was to send back the P7 due to lack of ANC.  Since I have until the end of January to return them perhaps I might just keep them a little bit longer and take them on a flight and see how their passive isolation stacks up agains the H9 and its ANC.  My informal testing at home did not bode that well for them.  I stood in my laundry room with the dryer running (a somewhat constant pitched sound) and compared the two.  The H9 does not eliminate everything like the Sony can however a good chunk was gone.  The P7 really did not eliminate much.  I was standing literally right next to the dryer so perhaps the sound was even louder than that in an airline cabin.  We will see.  
Waiting for some additional H9 reviews from people who have taken them on an airplane

I can tell you the P7 is awful on a plane in terms of isolation. It's why they got returned. Don't bother.

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #143 of 1,671

Here's the thing, if the noise cancellation is mediocre then you will need to turn up the volume high enough to get the engine noise low enough relative to the headphone signal to get anywhere close to the "musical" experience you find enjoyable. If the volume is too high you won't be able to stand listening to them for too long.

I suspect the H9 will be good enough in that regard because I've found passive isolation gets close (but not quite there) to that ideal state on my Meze 99 classics and Onkyo H500BT's.  That said, ANC may not be worth it, specially if it involves the annoying pressure effect you get from over-ear Bose HPs (I think their ANC IEMs are much better with little pressure effect). 

On the H8 and Space One, I haven't had to crank the volume. The H8 and Space One don't add pressure, and from my short time with the H9 (albeit not on a plane yet), it's the same. You really don't get that pressure thing.

ANC IEMs generally sound terrible (I have had a few ...) and are even worse in terms of comfort, etc., on long flights. There's a reason I switched back to over or on ears a few years back after years of IEMs (including custom).

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #144 of 1,671
I got the H9's today and are comparing them with the H6v2's (and the Sony MDR-1000x). What is wrong with the bass of the H9? It sounds horrible. ANC on, ANC off. Using the Beoplay app on my iPhone 7 plus. I tried some really bass heavy tunes, like Hans Zimmer's Dark Knight - Why so serious?. I completely destroys the bass. 

Any similar experiences?

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #145 of 1,671
Hi everyone,

Is anyone able to answer this - Is the ANC on the H9's bypassed when they are wired?

One of the reasons I wan to upgrade from my H6s is for the ANC - however as I fly a lot and actually enjoy watching the films on the IFE, I would still like to benefir from this feature when I plug them into the armrest!

Thanks so much,

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #148 of 1,671

ANC IEMs generally sound terrible (I have had a few ...) and are even worse in terms of comfort, etc., on long flights. There's a reason I switched back to over or on ears a few years back after years of IEMs (including custom).

I don't doubt the ANC IEM's sound terrible. lol

Pertaining to your comment about custom IEM's though, I'm just curious, did you maybe get a bad mold of your ear? I have custom IEM's and I feel they are the end all of maximum comfort. I can literally wear them for a day without any strain on my ears. I also feel the risk is much lower for discomfort since you're only making contact in one place. Inside the ear. As opposed to over ear cans which can contact with your ear, around the ear, and top of the head. As well as more weight on your head. Anyway, I'm not doubting you, just curious. I've read IEM's aren't for everyone but I kind of figured if its a good custom fit, it would be hard to complain.

I love my JH16s! 

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #149 of 1,671
Had a similar issue with the H7 in its first days of use. When I first heard the song "I feel you" by Depeche Mode (320 kbps 44khz)at exactly the point that heavy bass comes in after the first min or so, it seemed that the headphones were "drowning" in the bass;one could have said that it was losing pace. It was obvious the headphones could not handle that part of the song. After a few days and some corrections with the help of the beoplay app I could at last listen to it clearly and as heavy as it could go.

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #150 of 1,671
Had a similar issue with the H7 in its first days of use. When I first heard the song "I feel you" by Depeche Mode (320 kbps 44khz)at exactly the point that heavy bass comes in after the first min or so, if seemed that the headphones were "drowning" in the bass;one could have said that it was losing pace. It was obvious the headphones could not handle that part of the song. After a few days and some corrections with the help of the beoplay app I could at last listen to it clearly and as heavy as it could go.

Does not sound very optimal to me. I think I hear the same thing you are describing. But with the H6v2 all sounds much better right out of the box. I think I'm going to return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back