B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Jul 1, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #1,157 of 1,671
You hit the nail on the head. Yes that exactly how its supposed to be. Thats the mistake people make all the time. Id NEVER enjoy music listening to my M50 or M40, or any of the rest of flatter range headphones I have, It sounds annoying to me. Those are professional headphones for a specific purpose.

Yeah, and I think there's a real folly in people thinking that it's how headphones are "supposed" to sound. I like brands that have a sound they're aiming at because it's how they think music is most enjoyable. It's why I respect brands like Audeze, Grado, and V-Moda.

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #1,158 of 1,671
Really, why would you do that? I mean; if you think that they are tuned towards highs, why do you want to attenuate highs even more?? :-o
As a college student the only two places I listen to my H9i is in the library or walking outside on the busy streets.

Acoustically you lose many frequencies while walking versus sitting in a quiet space. Putting it on “Excited” enhances those certain frequencies I lose while walking outside.

In the library I listen to it on “Relaxed” mode to enhance the mid frequency while listening to orchestral and motion picture sound tracks.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,159 of 1,671
The PX can definitely push the volume and sound incredible, it's just a shame they have other issues.
I had the PX, returned it only for comfort issues. I owned the P7 wireless for quite some time after owning the H7. I agree with you, I like colour in my headphones when well done. I don't tend to gravitate toward neutral and linear signatures much either, I need a little meat on the musical bones so to speak.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,160 of 1,671
Yeah, and I think there's a real folly in people thinking that it's how headphones are "supposed" to sound. I like brands that have a sound they're aiming at because it's how they think music is most enjoyable. It's why I respect brands like Audeze, Grado, and V-Moda.
And Sony, in particular for the Z1R, that was exactly a signature like you are referring to; one where the company said we think this is a wonderful way to listen to music, try it and let us know. I would also give honourable mention to the AudioQuest NightOwl. That took a little time to grow on me, but it most certainly is a signature that gives a musical interpretation and one that I think works really well.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #1,161 of 1,671
Also, I can definitely agree these aren't "flat" but I think there's a wide difference between "neutral" and "natural." When I listen to headphones that are lauded for being flat and neutral, I hear a lifeless sound. It's good for mixing and mastering, and if that's what "critical listening" means then I will 100% say I was using the term incorrectly, but I can't say I've ever actually enjoyed music with that signature. It doesn't sound like I'm hearing actual physical instruments. The H9i does, and if it took a sculpted FR curve for that, well then that's a-okay to me.

Totally agree. There’s a certain political correctness on how headphones are supposed to sound for “audiophiles”, no matter how someone might choose to define that. And that term is surely evolving, like any other things in the world. A critical listening using some flat headphones seem ridiculous to me. Go listen to some real music instruments. Bass does not sound that lifeless and treble gets pretty high, although certainly not as high as H9i’s default tuning :beyersmile:

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #1,162 of 1,671
BTW, has anyone been able to compare H9i for Sennheiser PXC 550? I've heard pretty much all other mainstream NC's I can found from our local stores (QC35, PX, Momentum 2, N60C, WH1000XM2), and none of them was quite what I was looking for. Unfortunately PXC is not avalable in here, so it would be nice to hear how does it compare for B&O´s?

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,163 of 1,671
I really enjoy this thread, I was also thinking a lot about current NC's, H9i and I came to the same conclusions.I also don’t believe in flat frequency response with consumer commuters personal audio. My personal reference for headphones with bite, that would present music with soul, really involve You as a listener while doing daily stuff, and THIS is what I look for in headphones that are used to commute, work would be P7W. All the NC's I tried were seriously lacking in some department. I liked them after some time, but I needed one session with my commute AKG n40, or Sony XBA-Z5 or even Momentum IE and I felt what I miss as a listener. Going back to H9i, I think my biggest problem was outlined by Sonic Defender:

True, something is better than nothing. I would point to the B&W P7 as a headphone with arguably a very engaging sound signature with plenty of power. I would love B&O to step up and provide a more robust amplifier section.

If You connect H9i to any good source, like DragonFLy Red... really ... for this kind of headphones they sound brilliant ( close to PX but lack depth). Via USB they sound good-ish but lack the energy and bit of depth. Lack the bite. I think lack of proper AMP is a biggest problem of H9i.. and it is sort of "masked" by bright tuning when used via BT.. that instantly tries to focus listener on higher frequencies and distant sub bas.. You could call that a polite and light presentation... but also You could call that underpowered.. and I think it is the second. Too bad, as really when I listened them via cable I realised how brilliant those could be. In my book it is another missed opportunity, next after PX ( but those because of comfort and some dips in frequency ). Saying that, for now I will keep them as on-daily basis pair with cabled use in the office as they are a great daily headphones. If the AMP theory is true.. I don't believe in any firmware update to fix my problems with H9i.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #1,166 of 1,671
Don't work without external power.
Apple lightening to USB C cable doesn’t work at all. You need usb camera adaptor and USB A to C cable then the phone says the accessory takes too much power. So you need a usb hub. Wish there was a way of plugging in digital cable for data transfer without pulling power for charge. Like if you could turn off charging when you want.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #1,167 of 1,671
I started reading this thread on my reach to whether I should get the H9i because it was on sales 15% off. I love B&O the brand and the quality headphones they produced. H6 was my first pair then I got the H8, other Beoplay product such as A1, H5, E8. I got the H8i recently because the blue tooth on my H8 starts failing on my and I finally got the H9i today after reading this thread. I have all the H8, H8i, and H9i with me and I did extensive testing and I would love to share my experience with you guys.

(I did all the comparison without ANC)

H6: I love the quality, it has the clearest sound out of the other headphones.

H8: the bass is heavy and it sounded muddy when comparing it with the H6, the H8 does pinch my head when it was new but my H8 is the most comfortable headphones after having it for more than a year, maybe it moulded to the shape of my head.

H8i: I decided to get the H8 since I started experiencing Bluetooth dropout connection from my H8. I was very disappointed to find out the surface was scratched when I unboxed the H8i and it was a sealed package. Since I picked them up from a moving sales, all purchases were final, I couldn't exchange another one nor I can proof to B&O that the product was scratched before I unbox it. Anyway, my first impression of the H8i was a downgrade from H8, the plastic materials made it feels cheap. The USB-C doesn't go into the H8i smoothly. The H8i feels like a step down from H8 but a step up from H4. The H8i sounds muddier compared to the H8. The base is much lighter and the mid doesn't come out as crisp as the H8. I didn't do an in-depth comparison with my Marshall but I do get the impression that my H8i sound very similar to my Marshall MID ANC headphones which costed me much less than the H8i. Anyhow, after playing with the B&O app, I got the sound quality that I like. The lightweight and 30 hours of battery life in the H8i are the only things I'm considering keeping it. However, I already own a pair of Marshall MID ANC which gives me more than 30 hours battery, I will sell my H8i.

H9i: I didn't like what I've got from the H8i and I decided to get the H9i from the same shop which still has the moving sale. I tried the H9i straight from the box, the H9i was running 5.0.1 firmware and it does have all kinds of problems most of you mentioned earlier in this thread. After updating to 5.0.4 all those weird poops were gone. I love the sound, the bass, mid, and high are all balanced. I couldn't compare the H9i with the H6 which I sold it a while ago. But the thinner ear cushion does feel like the H6.

Jul 8, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,168 of 1,671
I admit I'm a little surprised at the talk of the H9i highs. Even with the EQ off entirely I don't find them bad at all. A bit elevated sure but nothing killer. I've been using them via USB on my laptop quite a bit lately (which means no EQ is going) and everything just sounds fantabulous. This notion that they sound light or thin just doesn't make sense to me, and I'm someone who likes a meatier tuning.

Compared to the PXC550, which I only got to briefly audition, I think the PXC is the kinda headphone that would be absolutely flawless for travelers. It's probably the most comfortable I've found aside from the Bose, the tuning has more dynamics than the Bose, the ANC works perfectly. I just found them relatively unremarkable.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,169 of 1,671
I admit I'm a little surprised at the talk of the H9i highs. Even with the EQ off entirely I don't find them bad at all. A bit elevated sure but nothing killer. I've been using them via USB on my laptop quite a bit lately (which means no EQ is going) and everything just sounds fantabulous. This notion that they sound light or thin just doesn't make sense to me, and I'm someone who likes a meatier tuning.

Compared to the PXC550, which I only got to briefly audition, I think the PXC is the kinda headphone that would be absolutely flawless for travelers. It's probably the most comfortable I've found aside from the Bose, the tuning has more dynamics than the Bose, the ANC works perfectly. I just found them relatively unremarkable.

I think what everyone is forgetting is that it highly highly depends on what music you are listening to.

For me it only affects me in certain songs.

I know not everyone likes the same music but listen to a track I like , Kids see ghosts by kid cudi. He just released this song and he purposely edited it so that you can hear simbilance.

It will be exaggerated but you will hear it. The H9i makes that track 10x times more annoying than listening to it on any other headset I own.

Jul 8, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #1,170 of 1,671
I think what everyone is forgetting is that it highly highly depends on what music you are listening to.

For me it only affects me in certain songs.

I know not everyone likes the same music but listen to a track I like , Kids see ghosts by kid cudi. He just released this song and he purposely edited it so that you can hear simbilance.

It will be exaggerated but you will hear it. The H9i makes that track 10x times more annoying than listening to it on any other headset I own.

So I'm listening to it right now, USB connected, volume up pretty high and... yeah, the vox are sibilant but I admit it doesn't bug me. Like I put it up high and I legit would not have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.

It's possibly that I listen to so much music that does this that I've gotten all Stockholm Syndrome about it and almost like the way it makes the vox cut through at times.

If you wanna have some fun, though, pull up RHCP's Californication title track and turn it up with the H9i. If you can get through the second verse then you have stronger ears than I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back