B&O H9 Discussion and Impressions thread
Dec 13, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #76 of 1,671
To fenderp, just a thought but perhaps the h9s need some more burn in?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope. The H8 never changed, the Space One never changed. These things don't need burn in. They sound like they do. Like I said, they're good. But having heard the Space One, they're not as good as that sonically :)

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #77 of 1,671
I don't think I can drop that kind of dough on a headset without a user replaceable battery, and there seem to be very few that meet that requirement. The H9 is, of course, one of them. Glad to learn about the Space One (AAA battery). I'll add that to my consideration list.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #78 of 1,671
Nope. The H8 never changed, the Space One never changed. These things don't need burn in. They sound like they do. Like I said, they're good. But having heard the Space One, they're not as good as that sonically

Does the KEF offer AAC support? (Their website doesn't specify.)

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm just now realizing the KEF aren't wireless? Never mind then.

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #80 of 1,671
My H9's arrive today, I'm worried after seeing Marco's tweet as I agree with him that my H6v2's are my favorite headphones ever so if he doesn't like the H9's that's worrying. My dream is they sound great (equal or better than P7 Wireless) and ANC is good enough that I can sell my P7 Wireless and QC35's and have one do everything wireless headphones. Will find out soon I guess!

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #81 of 1,671
My H9's arrive today, I'm worried after seeing Marco's tweet as I agree with him that my H6v2's are my favorite headphones ever so if he doesn't like the H9's that's worrying. My dream is they sound great (equal or better than P7 Wireless) and ANC is good enough that I can sell my P7 Wireless and QC35's and have one do everything wireless headphones. Will find out soon I guess!

My heart is breaking. Was hoping for something more similar to H6gen2. And if ANC isn't even that good...
Let us know your thoughts.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #82 of 1,671
My heart is breaking. Was hoping for something more similar to H6gen2. And if ANC isn't even that good...
Let us know your thoughts.

I'm no headphone engineer (obviously) but I'd love to understand why they couldn't make an H9 sound **exactly** like an H6v2 at least when used passively. Why can't it just bypass all the electronics crap (with ANC turned off) when wired and sound just like a lesser (but better!) model? Sure, I expect some drop off in quality over Bluetooth, and even more when ANC is on, but when I just want to plug in like a conventional set of cans why should there be any penalty in SQ?

Even more depressing to me is the fact that 99% of these wireless headphones seem to have non-user-replaceable batteries, which is a complete no-go for me. I emailed B&W and asked them what happens when the battery craps out on my $500 headphones? "No problem," they said, "Just send them to our repair facility." Umm, no thank you.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #83 of 1,671
I'm no headphone engineer (obviously) but I'd love to understand why they couldn't make an H9 sound **exactly** like an H6v2 at least when used passively. Why can't it just bypass all the electronics crap (with ANC turned off) when wired and sound just like a lesser (but better!) model? Sure, I expect some drop off in quality over Bluetooth, and even more when ANC is on, but when I just want to plug in like a conventional set of cans why should there be any penalty in SQ?

Even more depressing to me is the fact that 99% of these wireless headphones seem to have non-user-replaceable batteries, which is a complete no-go for me. I emailed B&W and asked them what happens when the battery craps out on my $500 headphones? "No problem," they said, "Just send them to our repair facility." Umm, no thank you.

To me, the H7 and the H6v2 are almost identical passively.  The only difference IMO being the thickness of the earpads playing some tricks w/ your mind.  The H7s being quite a bit thicker (and thus more comfortable).  That's the reason I sold my H6v2, even if I don't end up using the BT that often on the H7s.  I'm betting the H9s are similar.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #84 of 1,671
To me, the H7 and the H6v2 are almost identical passively.  The only difference IMO being the thickness of the earpads playing some tricks w/ your mind.  The H7s being quite a bit thicker (and thus more comfortable).  That's the reason I sold my H6v2, even if I don't end up using the BT that often on the H7s.  I'm betting the H9s are similar.

Some of us are probably giving too much weight to Marco Arment's review. First, sound is subjective and second, he's a computer programmer and not an audio engineer. But his comparo is perhaps the most comprehensive out there, so a lot of us refer to it.

In regards to the H7 vs the H6v2, they are significantly different to his ears, and while he ranks the H6v2 as his number-one choice, the H7 is all the way down at #13:

Great sound for Bluetooth and similar to the excellent H6, but more bass, much less treble detail, and a noticeably withdrawn midrange — it’s clearly an attempt to move closer to a Beats-like sound, but vocals and guitars suffer greatly. When passively wired, the sound gets worse, with strong midrange harshness and distortion, boomier bass, and worse treble detail — like most wireless headphones, the Bluetooth amp is doing some processing to hide the drivers’ flaws.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #85 of 1,671
Some of us are probably giving too much weight to Marco Arment's review. First, sound is subjective and second, he's a computer programmer and not an audio engineer. But his comparo is perhaps the most comprehensive out there, so a lot of us refer to it.

In regards to the H7 vs the H6v2, they are significantly different to his ears, and while he ranks the H6v2 as his number-one choice, the H7 is all the way down at #13:

This only leads me to believe he may have gotten a bad pair of H7s...since I spent about three days going back and forth between my H6v2 and the H7 in passive mode (via my Micca Origen or my Sony PHA-1A) and outside of a bit more bass on the H7, they were quite similar.  Again, I attribute any differences in sound to the ear pad depth...because that can really mess w/ your mind.  :)

To each his own I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss the H7 if you're going to do mainly passive listening and occasionally some BT.  Fits my workflow just fine.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #86 of 1,671
I don't know why everyone is freaking out. The way I have perceived all the impressions have been positive. No one has said it's a bad headset. From most comparisons the H7 is superior to the H6 due to the lack of bass but otherwise sound very similar. That's from this site, beoworld and others. I try not to put too much weight on any one review... Besides, a little EQ and I'm sure you can get the H9 just where you want it.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #88 of 1,671
Well, if only EQ magically fixed SQ problems...

You're right though, one review does not a product make or break. I wish more H9 reviews would start appearing.

I completely agree an EQ wouldn't drastically change the SQ issues. However I figured it would get you really close considering the H6, H7 and supposedly H9 are so close in sound signature. I can't say for sure enough though

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #89 of 1,671
Well it is about time I make a new post to this thread after my initial post #7.  I received the H9 last Friday after preordering from Amazon.  My background - member here since 2003 however inactive for quite a number of years.  All of my listening is done at home on a full bore Naim/Linn system and my use of headphones is strictly limited to airline travel (6-8 times a year?).  Up until a year ago I was using a pair of Etymotic's which I have owned for 10 years since the iPhone 1.  They were lost last year and I have been using a wireless pair of PowerBeats 2 which double as my exercise cans when out jogging.  When the new Ety's came out in September I tried a pair.  They were great (as expected) however in the end I returned them.  Using the PowerBeats told me that I never want to go back to wired.  I was also growing tired squeezing them in and out of my ear canals.

About two weeks ago after reading and demoing I purchased a pair of B&W P7 Wireless.  I also demoed both the Sony MX1000 and Bose QC35 in BestBuy.  The pressure effect of the Bose ANC annoyed me - the Sony's just sounded OK - and the NC pressure did not bother me as much as the Bose.  The B&W P7 wireless sound absolutely fantastic with an engaging involving toe tapping character similar to my Naim/Linn system at home.  The only drawback - no ANC and the passive isolation let every sound in.  A few posts on these forums let me know that they really would not be suitable for airline travel - my primary use scenario.

One week later I saw on this forum that the H9 were being released.  I preordered immediately and have been playing with them since their arrival on Friday.  Two days ago I broke down and went back to BestBuy and purchased the Sony MX1000 so that I could demo at home with my own Tidal uncompressed music - as opposed to the canned playlist provided by Sony at BestBuy.

Some thoughts:  strictly for sound hands down the B&W P7 Wireless wins - no doubt about it these are absolutely fantastic headphones.  Comfort wise the clamp is a bit tight.  Fit and finish is spectacular and classy.  Blue tooth pairing and connection distance - great.  Will I keep them?  Unfortunately not - they will most likely be unusable on an airplane

Sony MX1000 - world class noise cancellation - amazing.  The touch features on the right ear cup are great.  Easy to use and they work really well - very responsive.  Sound - OK.  Better than the Bose QC35 (from my demo's at BestBuy with my own iPhone streaming Tidal uncompressed).  No where close to the B&W P7's however.

B&O H9 - fit and finish beautiful - on the same level as the B&W's.  I do think the B&W's feel more solid - they are tank like.  B&O Comfort - absolutely great.  Extremely comfortable and they seem to be lighter weight than the B&W's.
Sound - quite nice.  Better than the Sony and more in line with the standard set by the B&W rather than the Bose or Sony - however the B&W P7 wireless still beats them imho.
Touch controls - OK but significantly behind the Sony.  They work - however they can be a bit flakey.
Bluetooth - still trying to figure it out however it also appears a touch flakey.  No dropouts however, unless I am not properly understanding how it works, it appears that they must be put in pairing mode each and every time they are turned on.  I need to constantly go to the Bluetooth settings on my iPhone and pair then again.  Bluetooth usable distance - fair - although quite honestly this should really not matter as my phone is always with me.

Noise cancellation - no where near what Sony is doing.  There is quite a large difference.  Here lies the problem.  On the positive side there is very little difference between when ANC is activated or not - that is good.  On the negative there really is quite a difference between these and what Sony is doing - really big.

So - where does this leave me?  I think it needs to start with my real use scenario.  I will be using these on an airplane.  As great as the B&W P7 Wireless sound they will need to go back.  There is no way they will be able to block any sounds on the airplane.
Sony - world class noise cancellation.  Sound - I guess I can live with them however having heard the B&W's I know there is better - quite better.

B&O H9 - a real wild card.  Fit and finish are stellar.  Comfort - stellar.  Sound - not like the B&W however much closer to them than the Sony's.  Noise cancellation - the great unknown and what will ultimately be the deciding factor as to whether they stay or go.  The problem is that I am not in a position to test them on an airplane until the end of the month - or mid January.  I have tried to play aircraft engine noise on Spotify through the speakers of my iMac however I do not think that is a fair test.  Since my wife also needs a pair I think we will bring both the Sony's and H9's on the flights so I can test them both.  I have until the end of January for a return period.

So I guess I am waiting to hear some feedback from those who have these new H9's and have had the chance to test them out on an airplane.  While I realize they are not capable of NC like the Sony's what I need them to be is usable/serviceable on an airplane enough to allow their superior sound (compared to the Sony) come through.  

Can anyone provide some feedback on how other B&O Noise Cancelling models work in real life scenarios on airline flights?  It sure would be comforting to know if they can do the job - or not.

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #90 of 1,671
Maybe a little OT but could the ANC be updated/tweaked through firmware maybe? I know Bose have sent out firmware updates for the QC35. Unfortunately, there are no change logs. I just don't understand why B&O haven't learned anything from the H8 which had pretty poor ANC compared to the competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back