Böhm's Beethoven
Dec 19, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #76 of 89
Rimsy,

the zinman beethoven is a digital recording so there is no tape hiss.
wink.gif

Btw, I received the Leibowitz Beethoven symphonies and I had to say they are indeed excellent!

Big Thankyou to mbhaub and Doc Sarvis for the recommendation.
orphsmile.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Rimsy,

I received the Leibowitz Beethoven symphonies and I had to say they are indeed excellent!

Big Thankyou to mbhaub and Doc Sarvis for the recommendation.
orphsmile.gif

And to think it was once considered speedy!

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08
He did a Bayreuth Der fliegende Holländer on DG (as an import), as well. I haven't heard that, preferring Klemperer or Levine in the work.

Look for the Bohm. It's every bit as important as his Bayreuth Tristan. The only Dutchman that I like better is the Nelsson. That's the one that stands alone as the best.

See ya
Steve

Dec 20, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #80 of 89
Quote:

Rimsy,

the zinman beethoven is a digital recording so there is no tape hiss.
wink.gif

Heh, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize that at all
smily_headphones1.gif
. Nevertheless, the ambient noise level is also very low. I mean -- aren't microphones bound to pick up some noise during the recording stage? Even if it's possible to get rid of it during the mastering stage, it ain't for free, right?

Dec 20, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by rimsy
Heh, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize that at all
smily_headphones1.gif
. Nevertheless, the ambient noise level is also very low. I mean -- aren't microphones bound to pick up some noise during the recording stage? Even if it's possible to get rid of it during the mastering stage, it ain't for free, right?

Even the quietest digital recordings have a bit of ambient sound. There is sound present in the recording venue, and the recording process itself may introduce noise. But no "tape hiss".

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #82 of 89
hehe, no tape hiss, but we don't live in a sound vacuum. On one of my Christophe Rousset recordings, I can hear him kick his harpsichord or hit it with something (wasn't there). I don't know how the sound was produced but it definitely was a jostle type noise. When they remastered the Glenn Gould tapes for cd, suddenly everyone could hear him humming and making all sorts of sounds that were never apparent on lp. That plus the tape hiss from the original recording don't make for the greatest SQ.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

hehe, no tape hiss, but we don't live in a sound vacuum. On one of my Christophe Rousset recordings, I can hear him kick his harpsichord or hit it with something (wasn't there). I don't know how the sound was produced but it definitely was a jostle type noise. When they remastered the Glenn Gould tapes for cd, suddenly everyone could hear him humming and making all sorts of sounds that were never apparent on lp. That plus the tape hiss from the original recording don't make for the greatest SQ.

he may have hit the piano to forte lever on the harpsichord.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #84 of 89
He would have had to hit it awfully hard, or even broken it off to produce that noise. Who knows or cares? I remember the noise even if I can't call to mind just which recording of his it was. (I have so many, part of the headfi disease.
rolleyes.gif
)

Dec 21, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #85 of 89
Sometimes I really enjoy all those little `details' -- it really depends on the type of music.

Oh well, back to the topic... I'm listening to `Eroica' right now. Love the `Marcia funebre' part
orphsmile.gif
. Some really good advice you gave me
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #87 of 89
PSmith08
listening to the bohm wagner cd's right now. rheingold is fantastic, and the live recording is wonderful, shimmering. this is treasure of the highest order.

the berg quartet beethoven cycle is also a stunner.

Dec 23, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #88 of 89
Redshifter,

Is that the Alban Berg Quartet you are referring to? If so I have to agree with you. That one, along with the Takasc quartet's complete Beethoven SQ are my favorites, even more than the Emersons.

Now I have heard that the Prazak Quartet has produced something extremely good and in SACD/hybrid. My mouth is already watering -- Beethoven sq in multichannel sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #89 of 89
redshifter: The Böhm Ring is really quite good - as you are learning right now. While I have my favorites in various operas, Böhm is an all-round excellent choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back