Azur 840c- Still got it or moved it on? Why?
Jun 5, 2008 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
This thing has been out and part of the FOTM club for some time now. For those who have put one in their rigs, did you keep it or move it on? Please give some comments on your decision.

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 19
I've had the 840c now for a year (before it became fotm i guess) and I'm extremely satisfied with it. I use it not only for redbook but I'm also outputting spdif from my computer via a behringer uca202 which feeds the dac inputs on the 840c. My current amp is a RSA HR-2. It added a nice touch of warmth to the sound since switching from a Meier Corda Aria. The only thing I might consider changing in this setup is switching to tubes and/or a balanced amp to take advantage of the 840c's balanced outs.

The other thing I am considering is getting the companion integrated amp (840av2) so I can use it in a speaker rig. If anyone is using this complete setup, I'd love to hear your impressions.

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 19
Check with "DaltonLanny," or search for his posts - he moved from the Saturn and 840C to the Marantz SA-8001, which he found to sound as good in most respects, while also playing SACDs... for a lot less money. Though, of course - it has no balanced capability.

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 19
The Marantz also does have have any digital inputs, in addition to the already stated lack of balanced outputs.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 19
840C is an extremely smooth player, really good. I was tempted to keep it, but decided not to because I heard this artificial sheen in the treble. Some people report not hearing this in their system, but I could definitely hear it in my system and it was becoming an issue... I think there was another head-fi member who had the same issue.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Marantz also does have have any digital inputs, in addition to the already stated lack of balanced outputs.

are we talking about the same marantz? the SA-8001 does not have balanced capability nor does it have digital inputs

Marantz America | SA8001 Super Audio CD Player
SA8001rearlarge.gif

if it did, it would be an amazing deal!

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 19
I still have my 840c and I'm very happy with it. It is a great player and I too use the optical inputs to connect to a HagUSB to my PC. It works great that way. Overall I couldn't be happier with this player.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are we talking about the same marantz? the SA-8001 does not have balanced capability nor does it have digital inputs

Marantz America | SA8001 Super Audio CD Player
SA8001rearlarge.gif

if it did, it would be an amazing deal!

Err.. That is mean to read "does NOT have any digital inputs or balanced outs"...

Honestly, those 2 factors do go a long way in justifying the price increase over the Marantz. Not saying it is completely justified but IMO it does seem like a better deal. Moreover, it's a player that oftentimes comes up used, so you can also save some money there as well.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if new 740c model comes close to matching 840c in sound if you do not need balanced output?

I wouldn't count on the 740C and 840C having even similar sounds because the 740C uses the Wolfson WM8740 DAC and the 840C uses the Analog Devices AD1955 DAC. While it's possible for completely different DACs to sound similar (and I can personally attest to it as well) it's not necessarily a given. Just a general FYI. Anyone assuming the 740C sounds similar to the 840C because both are made by Cambridge Audio is making an erroneus assumption.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if new 740c model comes close to matching 840c in sound if you do not need balanced output?

From personal experience, the 740c shares sonic qualities with the Rega Apollo.. (tad on the warm side).

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_the_gamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the 840c now for a year (before it became fotm i guess) and I'm extremely satisfied with it. I use it not only for redbook but I'm also outputting spdif from my computer via a behringer uca202 which feeds the dac inputs on the 840c. My current amp is a RSA HR-2. It added a nice touch of warmth to the sound since switching from a Meier Corda Aria. The only thing I might consider changing in this setup is switching to tubes and/or a balanced amp to take advantage of the 840c's balanced outs.

The other thing I am considering is getting the companion integrated amp (840av2) so I can use it in a speaker rig. If anyone is using this complete setup, I'd love to hear your impressions.

You can get balanced to rca adapters for use with your current setup. A tube buffer would give you the tube sound with the ss impact of your amp.

Mods are available for the 840

.: Audiocom International :. Modifications : Cambridge Audio AZUR 840C
Cambridge Audio Azur 840c High Performance Modifications!: Reference Audio Mods
Cambridge Audio Azur 840c Mods
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO REPAIR-In House Service Company

DaltonLanny's review was followed with interest but with a confusing ending. I wanted to hear other comments as well.

I have few SACD/DVD-As (with a universal player in the HT rig) so redbook is my concern. The additional features of digital in/out will allow me to uprade my dac for pc use and a digital out for feeding my HT rig.

Jun 6, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #14 of 19
Just replaced my Stello DA220 with a 840c. I agree its an outstanding player thats VERY versatile. I have it connected to my comp through a Trends UD 10.1 and connected balanced to my Supra XLR. Its very detailed and smooth sounding and pretty neutral while my DA220 was very warm sounding. I'm very impressed with its performance so far.

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 19
I've had the 840c since Dec '07. I replaced a Sony SACD player (forgot model) with it. I was mainly looking for a DAC when my hunt lead me to the 840c. It's pretty detailed and neutral compared to the Sony SACD player and the older Denon CDP I had.

I've been very pleased with it so far as a DAC, and the fact that it's also a CDP was a bonus. I was able to move the Sony SACD player into my speaker rig for Multichannel SACD playback, until I decide whether I would want the Oppo universal audio player or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back