Ayre USB DAC
Jul 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #61 of 78
Well at 5x the cost of a Duet, I'd sure hope it'd be better
smily_headphones1.gif

Still.. I'm curious on the QB-9 vs Buffalo32

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #62 of 78
Yes, is it possible to audition ayre stuff in stores anywhere?

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #66 of 78
I have a local dealer who I can audition this also. I am going to compare this to my Ref1 and see if I hear any audible difference. If I do, I might sell off Ref1 + M2tech for this.

I will report back..

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #67 of 78
Hi, tosehee. That will be great! Eagerly waiting your opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a local dealer who I can audition this also. I am going to compare this to my Ref1 and see if I hear any audible difference. If I do, I might sell off Ref1 + M2tech for this.

I will report back..

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #68 of 78
...just wanted to bump this one up for further discussions. Guess this DAC has been out for long enough to play with. I'm now looking for a DAC and this one's on the short list so far. Any real life feedback, anyone?

May 1, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #69 of 78
Its odd that this DAC gets little attention here, its really the only DAC with a hiqh quality USB input. Maybe the analog section isn't up to snuff?

As far as 24/192, what makes this DAC unique is that the USB-I2S is galvanically isolated by optoisolators. They can only handle 24/96khz. So Ayre impresses me by chosing a better engineered USB implementation rather than the inferior 192 sales gimmick.

May 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #70 of 78
I have the QB-9, and I can say that it's the best digital source I've had in any of my systems. Over the years I've owned various Benchmark DACs, top-of-the-line Arcam CD and universal players, Oppo BDP-83 SE, Slimdevices Transporter, and a Modwright Transporter (which was very nice).

The clarity of the Ayre is amazing. Soundstaging is excellent as well. Bass is rock solid.

I think the greatest compliment is that it compels me to listen to it. I find myself making time for it. The QB-9 also has me sold on Ayre as a company. Everything is high quality across the board, from build quality to packaging to customer service. Highly recommended.

Oh, and I can also say the I believe the QB-9 is a solid value. Definitely not overpriced for what it delivers.

May 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #71 of 78
gregeas speaks the truth! Very compelling to listen to is a highly accurate characterization of the QB-9. Organic and musical, although cliche, are other terms that come to mind..

As you can probably tell, I'm enjoying the heck out of mine as well, and it's certainly the best source I have owned, albeit the most expensive
wink.gif

From what I understand, the analog section is of very high quality. Completely discrete, loads of transistors, etc etc. Charlie Hansen knows his craft.

I think it gets little attention because it seems expensive for a DAC with "only" USB input. Perhaps justified, but I also believe it to be a great deal overall, with a sound that rivals many DACs in its price range.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #72 of 78
Is it still a good choice in 2012?

I need to buy a good dac that takes high resolution files, 96kHz and more, 24bit, via USB.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #73 of 78
Quote:
Is it still a good choice in 2012?

I need to buy a good dac that takes high resolution files, 96kHz and more, 24bit, via USB.

It's still a good choice if you're looking for a DAC in the $3000 range.  I recently upgraded my Rega DAC to the QB-9 and never looked back. 

The November 2011 issue of Stereophile compared the QB-9 to the Resolution Audio Cantata Music Center (http://www.stereophile.com/content/resolution-audio-cantata-music-center-1).  Take a look at page 2 of the review, under the "Comparisons" section.  Bottom line is that "There was no clear winner for this one."

However, if you want to spend about twice as much $6000-7000 range, there are other choices, like the Weiss DAC202. 

Do keep in mind that the QB-9 has only USB input.  It's not a problem for me because all my music is on the computer (and I watch TV/movies on the computer as well), but some people like more input options.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #74 of 78
Went for an audition today and bought it. Great performance at a fair price.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #75 of 78
Quote:
Went for an audition today and bought it. Great performance at a fair price.

The QB-9 requires a lot of burn-in time.  The treble might seems bit bright at first.  Give it about 200 hours.  I think the manual recommends 300-500 hours of burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back