Ayre USB DAC
Apr 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #31 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The latter.

Really? Can you share any more details or post a link or something?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #32 of 78
well,i just took 1 for the team!
its due to arrive this friday at my door!
im gonna use it with my singlepower sds xlr amp and my balanced sony r10 cans!
i used to own the ayre p5xe phono stage plugged into my turntable,before i got into computer audio and i really like the ayre sound!

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #34 of 78
Also looking forward to your impressions of the QB-9, decur. Take some pictures of the back if you don't mind - I haven't found any on the interwebs (does the DAC have balanced outs?), and Ayre's website is quite frankly rubbish; no mention of the QB-9 with the exception of that whitepaper they posted a while ago.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #36 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also looking forward to your impressions of the QB-9, decur. Take some pictures of the back if you don't mind - I haven't found any on the interwebs (does the DAC have balanced outs?), and Ayre's website is quite frankly rubbish; no mention of the QB-9 with the exception of that whitepaper they posted a while ago.

Took me a little while to find it, middle of the page:

SoundStage! Network Las Vegas 2009 Special Show Site

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #37 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by veloaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Took me a little while to find it, middle of the page:

SoundStage! Network Las Vegas 2009 Special Show Site

Ah, thank you. Looks like it has both balanced and SE outputs - good stuff. I wonder what the RJ-45 jacks on the left are for? Ayre really need to update their website
wink.gif

May 2, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #38 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i just recieved the qb-9,however there is a problem with the unit as it does not play! i spoke to ayre and they are overnighting me another unit monday and i will have on tuesday! it appears that a wire or connection may have come loose during shipment
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
the ayre folks are extremely nice to deal with and look forward to reporting back on tuesday!
i really loved my p5xe phono stage i used to own and cant wait to hear the qb9! ayre mentioned that my unit was the 1st unit sold and released to the market!

May 2, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #39 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by emelius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
decur, what happened with the Proton?...

i still have the proton,and i am extremely happy with it .i honestly believe i have the worlds best all battery operated transportable headphone rig!
macbook>proton>lisa III amp>senns hd650 w/alo interconnects!
the synergy between all these units is mind bending!

May 2, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #41 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first unit and it is damaged in transit, that sucks. But they are taking good care of you w/ the prompt replacement. Good luck and enjoy it.

hi miguel!
this actually happened to me with a headroom amp i had purchased where something came loose during shipment! ayre and headroom are both top notch
top customer svc audio companys out there! i have no worrys about ayre products. my p5xe was built like a tank and sounded great! i guess this stuff happens,as these shipping companys can be rough.

May 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #42 of 78
Sorry, I forgot to post over here that I got a QB-9 in a few days ago.

IMG_0185.jpg

It sounds very good to me with both high-resolution and Red Book material. I won't make any general claims since my experience with other sources in this price range is limited, but can say after extensive A/B-ing that I feel it stomps my Apogee Duet flat in terms of soundstaging, detail retrieval and dynamics particularly. Operation is plug-and-play and the USB implementation seems solid. I have heard no hint of system noise and have not been able to cause any dropouts, despite trying hard to do so. I look forward to hearing what others think as these become more widely available.

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #45 of 78
I was going to post a separate thread about this, but why doesn't this DAC or the wavelength DACs include toslink and s/pdif input? It seems silly and means you now have to buy two DACs. Which means you can only spend half as much on each one. I think honestly that they do so that they are not compared to traditional DACs that don't have a USB input, so they can only be compared with other USB models which have historically not been up to par with traditional DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back