Ayre codex better than 2Qute?
May 17, 2017 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Restia

Head-Fier
A local dealer suggested me to trade in my chord 2qute dac for a ayre codex, which he said was better and more analog. I listened to codex then. It is a good dac+amp, but I cannot say it is better than 2qute... How do you think? Also, does anyone compare them with simaudio 230had?

May 17, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 5
I have both to be pretty equal sometimes I feel one is better than the other then I switch back and forth. What I do like about the Codex is that it is a preamp and Headphone Amp also. I am think dac for dac they are pretty equal with a slight edge to the 2qute.

May 19, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 5
i was originally going to buy a codex but it didn't have coax in so i went with the 230 instead. I cant compare the two unfortunately though. There are differences in the inputs + the codex is balanced and the 230 is not.

May 19, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 5
I've had the 230HAD and now own the Codex. The Codex is a better sounding DAC. As for the headphone amp goes, the Moon is probably a little better and more capable for harder to drive cans. The Codex's headphone amp sounds WAYYYY better balanced than single ended.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 5
I really wanted the balanced option but I got too good a deal on the 230 and it was my second headphone amp for work so I compromised. I've only had a couple of days with the 230 and would say it sounds fantastic but pales to the lynx hilo which is my primary headphone amp (just no comparison sq). I would have purchased the codex on rep alone if it had coax in. A member was selling one in NYC for a pretty good price used (may still be available).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back