AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 9, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #481 of 694
Funny of Sennheiser to announce a new 600 line headphone with angled drivers the day before these go on sale. But closed back!
Whoa! that was under my radar so another possible purchase but that will have to wait.

We Canadians all pay so much more in this hobby that you have jump on anything approaching affordable. :grin:
You were saying. lol

May 9, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #482 of 694
TBH, I'm not loving the -17dB cliff from 4-6kHz. :anguished:

How this actually ends up sounding will be very interesting. :nerd:

But the price is definitely right! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to give these another try at the next SoCal CanJam. :L3000:

Yeah, the cliff is bewildering to me. I'm not graph crazy but I've seen quite a few and I struggle to think of anything with that kind of drop off in the upper treble. Like a sudden cliff past 10k is totally normal. But to have such a valley between 6-10k seems bizarre.

I pre-ordered though. Low harmonic distortion in the treble, so hopefully if the treble is flawed it's somewhat fixable with EQ. Price is pleasantly closer to initial rumors, which is refreshing given the usual trend. I'm sentimentally motivated by a new over-ear from Axel, and I'm not quite ready to commit to something as expensive as the 800s.

@Rob80b Will you include a Minnesotan, eh?

May 9, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #483 of 694
I've ordered..also you can apply discount codes..I used this one. Still $500 Can and then there will be duty on arrival, so it helps.
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 9.11.53 AM.png
Apparently they're going to refund shipping, even international shipping, so that's cool! TAX (including Value Added Tax) will still apply though... gotta pay Caesar his due!

I posted my review, I'm going to be adding in a condensed version of my listening notes and gear comparisons throughout the day: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/grell-audio-oae1.27216/review/33836/

May 9, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #485 of 694
Does anyone know the inner dimensions of the pads yet please?
outer diameter about 10cm, inner diameter about 5.5cm, at least according to the middle of my tape measure. I left my calipers at my day job, someone else will need them to make eyeglasses properly!

I believe with Axel's new offering it will have a lot to do with "psychoacoustics" of how the overall sound is perceived to create the "illusion" and not just the physical attributes of sound waves arriving at the ear drum.
According to Axel, who I also count as an expert, the physical attributes of the sound waves DO change due to the ear geometry before they reach the eardrum. The HD 600 series largely bypassed this, though the HD 800(S) did not, and this OAE1 is an extreme example and Axel credits it to helping shape the timbre more towards what our brains expect from non-recorded real life sound. OF course electronica still won't sound "real" and the sound editing room is all fantasy, but sometimes simple sounds in recordings or games had me second guessing if it wasn't coming from something in my room. The ability of the OAE1 to differentiate between close mic'd and far mic'd objects with ambient influence also helps the perception of soundstage depth... it can sound intimate or grandiose.

Some people might like more treble presence (6k is not treble), but I'm happy where it is. Apparently an older prototype at CanJam SoCal had a spike at 6k.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #486 of 694
Apparently they're going to refund shipping, even international shipping, so that's cool! TAX (including Value Added Tax) will still apply though... gotta pay Caesar his due!

I posted my review, I'm going to be adding in a condensed version of my listening notes and gear comparisons throughout the day: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/grell-audio-oae1.27216/review/33836/

@Evshrug The links within the review aren't working for me. I can't see the section with comparisons, for example (or I can see the post but it's empty). Just placeholders for now?

Thanks for the detailed review!

May 9, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #487 of 694
@Evshrug The links within the review aren't working for me. I can't see the section with comparisons, for example (or I can see the post but it's empty). Just placeholders for now?

Thanks for the detailed review!
Click the blue buttons

May 9, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #488 of 694
According to Axel, who I also count as an expert, the physical attributes of the sound waves DO change due to the ear geometry before they reach the eardrum.
That's not in question.

But the B&K rig used already includes a head and torso simulator, so I'm not sure that really explains the oddity of the FR compared to what we see in other headphones.

Other headphones tested on this rig don't have the same pinnae interaction as the OAE1, no, but tested with a measurement rig with head and torso simulation the graphed response is simulating the end result at the ear drum.

The OAE1 *does* use the pinnae, but the B&K rig simulates that. It's not perfect or representative for everyone (no rig could be), but the pinnae interaction is simulated in the measurements.

So TLDR I'm not sure that really explains the FR.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #489 of 694
I forgot about it but the page confirms the initial 1,000 order size now.

Note: The Drop + grell OAE1 Signature is limited to 1,000pcs. All orders, including international orders, ship free. Shipping discount is automatically added at checkout.

I'm guessing the signature in "OAE1 Signature" is either just a part of the model name or it's the addition of the fancy Axel Drell handwriting on the band, so ultimately doesn't really mean anything

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the sound. I forgot about the head squeeze from the HD600, I couldn't wear them for long than an hour due to the tightness. Sounds like the OAE1 at least is less of a vice

May 9, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #491 of 694
According to Axel, who I also count as an expert, the physical attributes of the sound waves DO change due to the ear geometry before they reach the eardrum.

But the B&K rig used already includes a head and torso simulator, so I'm not sure that really explains the oddity of the FR compared to what we see in other headphones.
That is what I meant by psychoacoustics, measurements tell us one thing but the brains "recreation of the auditory illusion" is another, under normal conditions we have a tendency to hear what we see but what we see is not necessarily what we should be hearing.

May 9, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #492 of 694
Per drop post in the discussion section:

“The OAE1 Signature are collectors items and limited to 1,000 units in total. All Signature headphones are individually measured before leaving the factory and the measurements are included inside the package. The Signature version also comes with two high quality cables, a carrying case, and as the name says—the headphones have Axel’s signature on them.”

So the waiting starts could not resist.

May 9, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #493 of 694
May 9, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #494 of 694
I am super interested in this headphone and I will order one, would love to get the limited edition, but money is tight right now... Every dollar I can save helps. 😄😄
Or maybe the classifieds will have one of these as well some day 😁

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back