AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 9, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #467 of 704
Got the delivery refunded and the discount, Yea!...But happen to know who they're shipping with? Post is great but with couriers besides the Tax there's always that added bit. : (
Anyway, I don't believe anyone expected $349.00 . :)
The price was a pleasant surprise indeed. My expectation ranged from $500 - $700 US. No idea whom they’re shipping with, Rob.

May 9, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #469 of 704
Order placed :)

May 9, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #470 of 704
I am on the fence on ordering one or not. I heard it in NYC CanJam but there was a lot of noise that I could not really judge it. So many headphones in my wish list these days.

May 9, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #471 of 704
I would not pay much attention to measurements, especially with a headphone having offset and angled drivers, at this point references are little to non existent.
The offset and angle of the driver makes no difference to the desired FR measurement. I made the same mistake thinking about the HD800S measurement but was corrected by an expert. When you think about it, the desired FR at the ear drum is the same regardless of how it is produced.

I preordered one. The FR is not ideal but I believe every headphone can be improved with EQ so I'm not bothered by it much. I'm not expecting this to become my Tier One headphone anyway.

May 9, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #472 of 704
Just for giggles, I pulled Drop's published FR into WebPlotDigitizer and then uploaded it to Listener's B&K 5128 graphing tool and overlayed his (Headphones.com's?) preference bounds.

graph-9.png

NOTE: The OAE1 measurement has been compensated to 5128 DF in the above graph in order to make this comparison

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #473 of 704
The offset and angle of the driver makes no difference to the desired FR measurement. I made the same mistake thinking about the HD800S measurement but was corrected by an expert. When you think about it, the desired FR at the ear drum is the same regardless of how it is produced.
I believe with Axel's new offering it will have a lot to do with "psychoacoustics" of how the overall sound is perceived to create the "illusion" and not just the physical attributes of sound waves arriving at the ear drum.

May 9, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #474 of 704
I've ordered..also you can apply discount codes..I used this one. Still $500 Can and then there will be duty on arrival, so it helps.
I just ordered mine and using PayPal, it works out to $500.00 even. Then I will get the $15% sales tax and some charge for customs clearance. So, $600.00 landed in Canada. I'm okay with that. While I am not a huge Sennheiser fan, I do love my HD660S2's. And I am always up for something different. All of my headphones sound very different from each other.

My first Drop purchase in a few years. And now the waiting... :smile:

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #475 of 704
I believe every headphone can be improved with EQ so I'm not bothered by it much.
After more than 50 years in this hobby I've yet to use EQ for headphones, never felt the need too, but that's personal preference as for me every phone should be different, have its own character and frequency response, it is for me neither good nor bad, I just accept them for what they are.
Again all personal preferences, mind you that is not to say I like all headphones, I don't. lol
:)

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #477 of 704
TBH, I'm not loving the -17dB cliff from 4-6kHz. :anguished:

How this actually ends up sounding will be very interesting. :nerd:

But the price is definitely right! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to give these another try at the next SoCal CanJam. :L3000:

May 9, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #480 of 704
What's with all the Canadians Eh? :beerchug:
We Canadians all pay so much more in this hobby that you have to jump on anything approaching affordable. :grin:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back