AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
Apr 11, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #346 of 418
I owned the HD 700 for a bit, for me it had a bit more bass than the AKG K712 I was comparing to at home, a little better imaging/directionality with my surround DSPs, but it had an obvious scoop in the upper mids (like female vocals) and despite the moderate impedance (and modest voltage requirements for sheer volume SPL) it definitely sounded best with a large current supply. Money got tight shortly after, and I ended up keeping the AKG and selling my second-ever Sennheiser (first being the folding on-ear PX100) 😅

I pick on the DT 880 a bit because I owned it for a time, and I got to borrow Dekoni’s DT 1990 for a few months after shooting a pad swap video for them (the DT 1990 definitely improved on the DT 990 where I wanted it to: less hard glaring treble), but I forgot that the T1 had angled drivers. I’d give it (or the current version) a look if I could spend some time with it on a couple amps. When I had the DT 880, I only had a Turtle Beach DSS and a hybrid tube amp, it was better on the $200 tube amp but not enough for me to like it… now I’ve got more gear than I honestly know what to do with 😂

@kman1211 What was your favorite Audeze?

It’s tricky because ears “EQ” the sound more and more as frequencies extend closer to the extremes of bass and treble, and age-related hearing loss affects the delicate treble-sensing little hairs in the cochlea first…
1712854102593.jpeg

… but at the same time, making more use of the contours of the outer ear (auricle) is also mechanically more similar to how we naturally hear speakers and the environment of life than most headphones. So as long as the FR tuning isn’t wildly extreme, it might sound more realistic than most headphones.

I’ll add the expectation that the grell OAE1 is probably sensitive to placement too. Not as much as closed headphones with a big driver, but it will probably be a good idea to play around to find a sweet spot.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #347 of 418
Their Amiron Home have been on my head of late. :relieved:
The Amiron Home imho is a gem among its price range.

I owned the HD 700 for a bit, for me it had a bit more bass than the AKG K712 I was comparing to at home, a little better imaging/directionality with my surround DSPs, but it had an obvious scoop in the upper mids (like female vocals) and despite the moderate impedance (and modest voltage requirements for sheer volume SPL) it definitely sounded best with a large current supply. Money got tight shortly after, and I ended up keeping the AKG and selling my second-ever Sennheiser (first being the folding on-ear PX100) 😅

I pick on the DT 880 a bit because I owned it for a time, and I got to borrow Dekoni’s DT 1990 for a few months after shooting a pad swap video for them (the DT 1990 definitely improved on the DT 990 where I wanted it to: less hard glaring treble), but I forgot that the T1 had angled drivers. I’d give it (or the current version) a look if I could spend some time with it on a couple amps. When I had the DT 880, I only had a Turtle Beach DSS and a hybrid tube amp, it was better on the $200 tube amp but not enough for me to like it… now I’ve got more gear than I honestly know what to do with 😂

@kman1211 What was your favorite Audeze?

It’s tricky because ears “EQ” the sound more and more as frequencies extend closer to the extremes of bass and treble, and age-related hearing loss affects the delicate treble-sensing little hairs in the cochlea first…

… but at the same time, making more use of the contours of the outer ear (auricle) is also mechanically more similar to how we naturally hear speakers and the environment of life than most headphones. So as long as the FR tuning isn’t wildly extreme, it might sound more realistic than most headphones.

I’ll add the expectation that it’s probably sensitive to placement too. Not as much as closed headphones with a big driver, but it will probably be a good idea to play around to find a sweet spot.
The DT 880 need the right amp to shine, their treble is very system sensitive. But the old rapid reflex Beyers do have sharper treble than the Tesla and Stellar.45 Beyers. The T1.3 is quite uniquely tuned and a very warm sounding headphone, definitely need to go into them with an open mind. I understand why they’re love/hate among audiophiles. They’re very different sounding than other Beyers. Having owned them for a while they’ve been my favorite headphone for years now. The Amiron Home and DT 700/900 Pro X are worth a listen too if you have the chance.

Honestly no clue on Audeze, I haven’t heard a pair since the pre-fazor/early fazor days. Last I heard was a pre-fazor LCD-2 many years ago. I recall enjoying it.

Yeah the T1 is like that it has a sweet spot that one needs to find so it very likely has a sweet spot too. But I do find the T1 very natural to my ears despite its unique tuning. The spatial behavior definitely adds a naturalness to the sound. I do think for some people this won’t work as well as for others. Maybe that’s why the OAE1 seems to have mixed impressions so far.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #349 of 418
Apr 15, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #350 of 418
Hi, Schlappen is back. :relaxed:

I'm very interested in the new Grell OAE1.
Is that true that it will be presented and shown in Germany for the first time at the High-End in Munich?

High End show @xlcans ?

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #351 of 418
Ok everyone, big news (at least for me)! Drop responded to my inquiry, and shipped me the CanJam NYC sample, grell OAE1 Signature.

Some embargoed info (or info I just don’t know):
1. Your guess is as good as mine about the price and release date.
2. This sample has final tuning, but there may be cosmetic differences on the final product.
3. I don’t have a measurement rig.

Early impressions stage… WOAH I DIDNT EXPECT IT TO HAVE THIS MUCH BASS! My first listen was plugged straight into my gaming rig as-is, and I didn’t realize I had a bass boost on… but for as open-backed as this headphone is, it can really develop home-theater subwoofer like bass and subbass that might trick you into thinking you can feel it. Without the EQ, things felt more balanced across the range (a bit gentle on the treble range), with a midrange similar to the HD 650 magic plus a bit of upper mids lift to keep it from sounding dark, perhaps somewhat smoother more conservative treble to continue the HD 650 comparison (I’ll have to compare directly to see which has less treble, but so far it doesn’t feel muffled or unclear, just less loud). The sub bass extension still left an impression of warmth because it’s rare for an open headphone to extend this low (reminds me of the HD 560S in this aspect, but the main bass presence seems stronger). Not only did I expect something this open to be bass-lite, but this actually has better sub bass extension than the HD 650 too! Overall I think this is very intentionally tuned to be a fun headphone!

I compared powering it on a few setups so far, but I’ll have to listen more to solidify my conclusions:
1. Creative Labs G5 + Monoprice Liquid Spark (the G5 was in a bass boost mode at first, woah! But it also has more even EQ presets).
2. Apple’s $9 Lightning Dongle (I also have the USB-C version).
3. xDuoo TA-22 Tube Hybrid DAC/amp
4. Apogee Groove dongle DAC/amp
I also want to test it with my HDV 820 because that has a 40 Ω output impedance, and my Cavalli Liquid Carbon which should be considerably tighter than the Spark).

I thought it would take me longer to find songs on my testing playlists and random shuffle, but it’s coming together faster than I expected. Apple Lossless sounds way better than AAC to me. I have reasons for choosing each one and I’ll explain them in my eventual full review, but I’ll share first in case you feel like getting familiar with them. Here’s how the playlist is shaping up so far (both the Moonlight Sonata and Unfinished Sympathy tracks gave me the chills, so I had to include them!):

I’m really wanting to pit this head to head against the HD 660S, because I felt before like that headphone was a nice halfway between the HD 650 (sometimes a little too mellow and less extension in the highs and sub lows) and the HD 800 (sometimes a bit too airy and lacking warmth), but the HD 660S didn’t have an angled driver, and of course we’re always hoping for to see if timbre is possible without an intimate, 3-blob soundstage. Also, a Fostex TH-X00 purpleheart I have, just for the fun of seeing how one biocellulose driver compares to another (wish I had one of those Sony’s but I don’t). I haven’t had time to compare at all yet (I only just got the grell!).

Since it’s in my own home, in a quiet suburban neighborhood, I hope I can answer questions for you! Pictures when I have time!

Again, the CanJam NYC preproduction sample I have here does not have a treble peak... The SoCal CanJam prototype did have a spike at 6 kHz (which is not treble) at less amplitude than the HD 800, but this NYC CanJam with the finalized tuning does not (it’s actually really calm around there). As for my bias, full disclosure I worked for grell in ‘22 for a few months and Drop for a few months last year, but both of the contracts were terminated and kind of left me in trouble, and right now my job is full time job working as an optical lab technician at an eyeglass store. Neither Drop or grell is providing incentive for my impressions, just loaning me the headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #352 of 418
Ok everyone, big news (at least for me)! Drop responded to my inquiry, and shipped me the CanJam NYC sample, grell OAE1 Signature.

Some embargoed info (or info I just don’t know):
1. Your guess is as good as mine about the price.
2. This sample has final tuning, but there may be cosmetic differences on the final product.
3. I don’t have a measurement rig.

Early impressions stage… WOAH I DIDNT EXPECT IT TO HAVE THIS MUCH BASS! My first listen was plugged straight into my gaming rig as-is, and I didn’t realize I had a bass boost on… but for as open-backed as this headphone is, it can really develop home-theater subwoofer like bass and subbass that might trick you into thinking you can feel it. Without the EQ, things felt more balanced across the range (a bit gentle on the treble range), with a midrange similar to the HD 650 magic plus a bit of upper mids lift to keep it from sounding dark, perhaps somewhat smoother more conservative treble to continue the HD 650 comparison (I’ll have to compare directly to see which has less treble, but so far it doesn’t feel muffled or unclear, just less loud). The sub bass extension still left an impression of warmth because it’s rare for an open headphone to extend this low (reminds me of the HD 560S in this aspect, but the main bass presence seems stronger). Not only did I expect something this open to be bass-lite, but this actually has better sub bass extension than the HD 650 too! Overall I think this is very intentionally tuned to be a fun headphone!

I compared powering it on a few setups so far, but I’ll have to listen more to solidify my conclusions:
1. Creative Labs G5 + Monoprice Liquid Spark (the G5 was in a bass boost mode at first, woah! But it also has more even EQ presets).
2. Apple’s $9 Lightning Dongle (I also have the USB-C version).
3. xDuoo TA-22 Tube Hybrid DAC/amp
4. Apogee Groove dongle DAC/amp
I also want to test it with my HDV 820 because that has a 40 Ω output impedance, and my Cavalli Liquid Carbon which should be considerably tighter than the Spark).

I thought it would take me longer to find songs on my testing playlists and random shuffle, but it’s coming together faster than I expected. Apple Lossless sounds way better than AAC to me. I have reasons for choosing each one and I’ll explain them in my eventual full review, but I’ll share first in case you feel like getting familiar with them. Here’s how the playlist is shaping up so far (both the Moonlight Sonata and Unfinished Sympathy tracks gave me the chills, so I had to include them!):

I’m really wanting to pit this head to head against the HD 660S, because I felt before like that headphone was a nice halfway between the HD 650 (sometimes a little too mellow and less extension in the highs and sub lows) and the HD 800 (sometimes a bit too airy and lacking warmth), but the HD 660S didn’t have an angled driver, and of course we’re always hoping for to see if timbre is possible without an intimate, 3-blob soundstage. Also, a Fostex TH-X00 purpleheart I have, just for the fun of seeing how one biocellulose driver compares to another (wish I had one of those Sony’s but I don’t). I haven’t had time to compare at all yet (I only just got the grell!).

Since it’s in my own home, in a quiet suburban neighborhood, I hope I can answer questions for you! Pictures when I have time!

I really think that the people who felt there was treble peaks ought to retract their statements, before they’re proven wrong. The SoCal CanJam prototype did have a spike at 6 kHz (which is not treble) at less amplitude than the HD 800, but this NYC CanJam with the finalized tuning does not (it’s actually really calm around there). As for my bias, full disclosure I worked for grell in ‘22 for a few months and Drop for a few months last year, but both of the contracts were terminated and kind of left me in trouble, and right now my job is full time job working as an optical lab technician at an eyeglass store. Neither Drop or grell is providing incentive for my impressions, just loaning me the headphone.
Thanks for the impressions :) Since both these and the Omega from DMS seem to be targeting an improved version of the HD 650, they both have fallen out of my interest. I would have loved an improved HD 600, but the HD 650 tuning is just so damn boring to me.

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #353 of 418
Thanks for the impressions :) Since both these and the Omega from DMS seem to be targeting an improved version of the HD 650, they both have fallen out of my interest. I would have loved an improved HD 600, but the HD 650 tuning is just so damn boring to me.
Honestly seems to be a lot of headphones aiming for the 'super' HD 650 tuning, but the HD 650 is the most boring of the HD 6xx lineup for me, hopefully they don't have the HD 650 'boring' factor to them. I think the musicality is related moreso to PRaT than just FR tuning though, that's something I find the HD 650 seems to suffer a bit compared to some of it's sibling headphones as it feels like it has the slowest decay of the HD 6xx lineup which is likely what leads to what many find a 'boring' sound.

It's fine if I want to relax and have music in the background making them great headphones to listen to while doing a task that requires attention and focus, but I don't really use them for musical engagement; I use my Beyers the most for musical engagement particularly my T1.3 which is my most musical and euphoric sounding headphone to me. A well driven HD 600 is one of the most musical of the HD 6xx line-up for me, but it's also a bit much in the upper-mids/lower treble for me. Funnily enough an underdriven HD 600 is more boring than the HD 650 to me. The HD 660S2 on a system which doesn't cause the lower treble to be too relaxed is quite musical too.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #355 of 418
Though whats ironic, I talk about the HD 650 being boring I do still like the headphone and if it comes down to it, I think it will be the HD 6xx headphone I would keep for a couple reasons. One it's the least fatiguing of the HD 6xx lineup for me, it's my 'chill' listening headphone, and also it's the most different sounding from my other headphones. It just took me a good while to appreciate the HD 650 for what it is. I can replace both the HD 600 and HD 660S with the R70x as it's a similar sound signature but with a bigger soundscape and more bass extension, they each have their benefits, but the R70x is my favorite of those 3. The HD 660S2 on the other hand actually for some reason reminds me a bit of the T1.3 oddly enough despite sounding quite different, and it's not as good as the T1.3 for me and wouldn't be that bothered if I had to let it go due to that fact. And like the HD 600, I have some slight fatigue issues with the S2.

@Evshrug
What's your opinion of the OAE1's spatial performance so far?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #356 of 418
Though whats ironic, I talk about the HD 650 being boring I do still like the headphone and if it comes down to it, I think it will be the HD 6xx headphone I would keep for a couple reasons. One it's the least fatiguing of the HD 6xx lineup for me, it's my 'chill' listening headphone, and also it's the most different sounding from my other headphones. It just took me a good while to appreciate the HD 650 for what it is. I can replace both the HD 600 and HD 660S with the R70x as it's a similar sound signature but with a bigger soundscape and more bass extension, they each have their benefits, but the R70x is my favorite of those 3. The HD 660S2 on the other hand actually for some reason reminds me a bit of the T1.3 oddly enough despite sounding quite different, and it's not as good as the T1.3 for me and wouldn't be that bothered if I had to let it go due to that fact. And like the HD 600, I have some slight fatigue issues with the S2.

@Evshrug
What's your opinion of the OAE1's spatial performance so far?
First listen was playing Helldivers 2 with Sony’s great Temptest 3D Audio live surround processing… that builds on a headphone’s innate soundstage and instrument separation, and in that situation the OAE1 is a great platform for adding spatial recordings or processing. I have the easiest time placing spatial cues when it’s interactive to my own commands, but I specifically added headphone binaural recordings to the OAE1 Synergy playlist because I think it’s exceptional with these types of recordings.

I don’t want to make definitive statements just yet, because it’s just been two days 😂 Opinions subject to change and become more precise! However? This has an initial “Wow” factor I didn’t hear with the original HD 650, but I had two marathon sessions with the OAE1 so far in evening-night tax sessions (I finished!) and it stuck out to me that I wasn’t getting fatigued from either sound signature or sore spots. How often do you get to have a Wow and non-fatiguing sound?

I’m also comparing different DAC/amps. The ubiquitous Apple Dongle has enough voltage to get loud enough and is fairly detailed, not fatiguing, but I can confidently say it’s immediately clear that the OAE1 can reveal the performance differences between amps and I believe DACs as well… the  Dongle is fine if it’s all you have, but it sounds anemic and lacking in current — the OAE1 is able to reward higher end, higher quality gear. So far it seems to pull different benefits from different gear!

More details when I release the review via notes of song listening sessions.

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #357 of 418
First listen was playing Helldivers 2 with Sony’s great Temptest 3D Audio live surround processing… that builds on a headphone’s innate soundstage and instrument separation, and in that situation the OAE1 is a great platform for adding spatial recordings or processing. I have the easiest time placing spatial cues when it’s interactive to my own commands, but I specifically added headphone binaural recordings to the OAE1 Synergy playlist because I think it’s exceptional with these types of recordings.

I don’t want to make definitive statements just yet, because it’s just been two days 😂 Opinions subject to change and become more precise! However? This has an initial “Wow” factor I didn’t hear with the original HD 650, but I had two marathon sessions with the OAE1 so far in evening-night tax sessions (I finished!) and it stuck out to me that I wasn’t getting fatigued from either sound signature or sore spots. How often do you get to have a Wow and non-fatiguing sound?

I’m also comparing different DAC/amps. The ubiquitous Apple Dongle has enough voltage to get loud enough and is fairly detailed, not fatiguing, but I can confidently say it’s immediately clear that the OAE1 can reveal the performance differences between amps and I believe DACs as well… the  Dongle is fine if it’s all you have, but it sounds anemic and lacking in current — the OAE1 is able to reward higher end, higher quality gear. So far it seems to pull different benefits from different gear!

Any photos?

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #359 of 418

I hear a lot about Helldivers 2. Haven't gotten around to playing it, though I tend to focus more on MMO's and RPG's personally. Though I do occasionally play shooters, racing games, and RTS (not as much as I used to though).

It's not very often you get a wow factor and a non-fatiguing sound. I have a few headphones that do, but it took a while to find some that do that for me. That's a good sign for me on the OAE1. Do you find the newer HD 650's (with the pad change/refresh) sound a bit different than earlier pairs? Because that's been my impression, I actually prefer the newer ones as I find them smoother and more liquid than previous pairs I've owned.

The dongle is surprisingly competent honestly, I use it pretty often honestly.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #360 of 418
I hear a lot about Helldivers 2. Haven't gotten around to playing it, though I tend to focus more on MMO's and RPG's personally. Though I do occasionally play shooters, racing games, and RTS (not as much as I used to though).

It's not very often you get a wow factor and a non-fatiguing sound. I have a few headphones that do, but it took a while to find some that do that for me. That's a good sign for me on the OAE1. Do you find the newer HD 650's (with the pad change/refresh) sound a bit different than earlier pairs? Because that's been my impression, I actually prefer the newer ones as I find them smoother and more liquid than previous pairs I've owned.

The dongle is surprisingly competent honestly, I use it pretty often honestly.
The dongle is a good baseline, but I only find it with the qualifier "Good for $9." Honestly, it sounded better and recorded voiceovers better than my iMac's built-in headphone jack, but every other DAC/amp I have sounds better. But I own four of the dongles, because they are so convenient and cheap (and get lost easily).

I haven't heard the new pads... I have enough old pads that I have two pairs that only have a handful of "reference testing" hours on them (one pair is completely unused).

I'm not so great at RTS games, but I love them! Very excited about Frost Giant's new game Stormgate coming out!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back