AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
Mar 9, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #182 of 815
I'm not paying more than 300€.

I'm tired of abusive practices.

Either they stick to the price they announced or goodbye.
They never announced a firm price. They estimated approximately $300. Could be a bit more (probably not less)

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #184 of 815
Bit out of my way unfortunately!

Is there actually an expected launch date? I would assume, Drop would initially have a pre-order period to gauge demand no?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #185 of 815
Looking forward to the OAE1, may put the HD600 series die-hards as the staging will be quite different but if they maintain the tonal value it will be something I'll embrace with opens ears. :)
OAE1 copy.jpg

"With the OAE1 signature we are able to have both a natural sound field and low end bass response due to the acoustic baffle which allows low frequencies to be generated inside the ear cup."

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #187 of 815
Looking forward to the OAE1, may put the HD600 series die-hards as the staging will be quite different but if they maintain the tonal value it will be something I'll embrace with opens ears. :)
OAE1 copy.jpg

"With the OAE1 signature we are able to have both a natural sound field and low end bass response due to the acoustic baffle which allows low frequencies to be generated inside the ear cup."
Good. I need to equalise in extra bass on some of my H/phones. Can't stand that politically correct Hifi bass (ie. lack of it) so applauded by many.

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #188 of 815
Just heard them at CanJam NYC. They sounded like they had a lot of mid bass, some kind of boost in the upper mids, and, from what I could tell, attenuated high end. Too much floor noise to get a real sense of soundstage etc. but my basic impression is that they sound like they have a pretty generous down tilt.

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #190 of 815
Just heard them at CanJam NYC. They sounded like they had a lot of mid bass, some kind of boost in the upper mids, and, from what I could tell, attenuated high end. Too much floor noise to get a real sense of soundstage etc. but my basic impression is that they sound like they have a pretty generous down tilt.
So you think they have tuned down some of the previously mentioned excessive treble?

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #191 of 815
So you think they have tuned down some of the previously mentioned excessive treble?
Yeah, but it sounded to me like too much. I would describe it as sounding it's price, and definitely far from neutral. Bloomy bloated mid bass. But again, this is just a show floor impression. Background crowd noise etc can definitely cause a masking effect

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #192 of 815
X2 same exact opinion. I heard them today also at CanJam. I asked the guy there the launch, he said they will go on preorder by the end of the month.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #193 of 815
Very disappointed, with the initial impressions above, I had some hope because OAE 1 according to Jude got highest scores in MDAQs, 4.9. But the more I read reviews and opinions the more I think this MDAQs thing is a useless measurement. One of the authors said they picked random people to provide input regards to sound quality, and their prediction model uses the input to form some form of model to predict scores. The result ? Apple earpods get a rating of 4.8 and HD 800S got 4.0, now it makes sense why this OAE 1 got 4.9 in it ..... you make boomy bass you get good scores.

https://www.soundguys.com/sennheiser-hd-800-s-review-88114/

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #194 of 815
I'm curious to see what the final build sounds like. If nothing else, I kinda love the snippets of the design shown. It reminds me of something Apple might make.

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #195 of 815
I'm pretty sure Grell & Co know how to design a headphone. It's unlikely it will please everyone, as always.

For me, at least, some nice bass is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back