AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 13, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #572 of 704
May 13, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #574 of 704
The OAE1 is low impedance and high sensitivity so there should be no concern about driving it.

May 13, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #575 of 704
Morning everyone! Long, long time lurker (since ~2011 I'd say); first time poster.

Based on @Evshrug's review, I preordered a pair of OAE1s. Price came out to be ~$310 after eBates, rewards and coupons. Hoping these are the upgrade to my HD598s that I've been looking for (which have served me well for 13 years). Worst case scenario, I'll just return or resell.

Other options I had been considering were: Sundara, HD600, HD660S2, and maybe a used pair of HD800Ss. Especially now that I work from home, I need something non-fatiguing to listen to anything and everything, not to mention gaming.

Also plan to upgrade my DAC and AMP to a JDS Labs Element III MK2 Boosted. I think under $1000 all-in is a more than reasonable budget, but will stretch to $1500 if I have to.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #576 of 704
Other options I had been considering were: Sundara, HD600, HD660S2, and maybe a used pair of HD800Ss. Especially now that I work from home, I need something non-fatiguing to listen to anything and everything, not to mention gaming.
The OAE-1 is a new kid on the block and I'm hoping it diverges from any of the per-mentioned candidates, otherwise what's the point IMHO and I'm thinking for many jumping on the bandwagon they're reasoning is somewhat the same.
Also the HD600/660S2 are quite different from the HD800S...if just getting your feet wet with any of Axel's previous endeavours I'd start with any of the 600 series although the S2 was released after his departure from Sennheiser but still from the same mold.
Without breaking the bank there's the HD58X and HD6XX also available on Drop.
The OAE-1 may be just what you are looking for and we'll all find out soon enough. :)

May 13, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #577 of 704
The OAE-1 is a new kid on the block and I'm hoping it diverges from any of the per-mentioned candidates, otherwise what's the point IMHO and I'm thinking for many jumping on the bandwagon they're reasoning is somewhat the same.
Also the HD600/660S2 are quite different from the HD800S...if just getting your feet wet with any of Axel's previous endeavours I'd start with any of the 600 series although the S2 was released after his departure from Sennheiser but still from the same mold.
Without breaking the bank there's the HD58X and HD6XX also available on Drop.
The OAE-1 may be just what you are looking for and we'll all find out soon enough. :)
Those were on the short list mainly because everyone recommends them as the best open-back headphones. Knowing that the OAE1s come from that lineage is what draws me to trying them. I also find I tend to like things neutral-ish sounding, accurate, and often prefer a 2.1 setup that retains bass. That last point is why I'm excited to listen to the OAE1s.

The HD6-- and 800S aren't going anywhere worst case scenario :wink:.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #578 of 704
I would really appreciate a detailed comparison with HD800, especially regarding soundstage width/depth and imaging, also transients and microdetails. One big difference seems to be the driver shape, one being annular, the other circular and localized. I am guessing, these differences along with the different enclosure should give a different soundstage presentation than HD800, for better or for worse. Just curious how these differences are.

As someone whose main driver is the HD800 (and through mod/amp choice and eq, I have fixed most issues with treble) and also highly satisfied with this setup, I wonder if the OAE1 is going to be special enough and different than HD800 (except the bass of course) to consider worth trying.

May 13, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #579 of 704
Could mean a couple things. Could mean first batch is 1k, could mean “signature” is limited to 1k, etc.

That's what I take it to mean. First 1,000 come with the signature, also (All Signature headphones are individually measured before leaving the factory and the measurements are included inside the package).

May 13, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #580 of 704
I thought this was interesting. OAE1 graph compared to the Audeze MM-500 and LCD-5.

VU1TSEsUS3CInK1qZFiP_Drop-Grell-OAE1-Signature-Frequency-Response-(alone).jpg

graph (1).png

graph (2).png

Maybe not such a strange frequency response after all!

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing either, and I belive they're somewhat divisive (with some finding them too dark), but they certainly have passionate fans

Graph credits:

https://listener.squig.link/?share=Audeze_MM_500

https://sai.squig.link/?share=LCD-5

May 13, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #581 of 704
Just copying over a post from ASR:

A german magazine´s review (paywalled) https://www.heise.de/tests/Bass-und...ell-Audio-OAE1-im-Test-9711843.html?seite=all

Some takeaways (my interpretation and translation by Deepl):
  • "clean, crisp bass", but 2dB too much for the reviewer´s taste.
  • "by no means dull, but balanced in the treble range"
  • "the room seems significantly larger than with other models in the 500-euro class."
  • "you get an even finer-resolution stage with a Hifiman Arya, Sennheiser HD 800S or Fostex TH909."
  • Not suitable for evaluating a mix (not neutral enough)
Edit: BTW, the editorial team of the magazine is based in the same region as Sennheiser and Axel Grell, and they have sometimes worked together in the past (e.g. Mr. Grell was once invited as a guest for an MP3 listening comparison). This is probably the reason why this editorial team did this review relatively quickly.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...l-signature-edition.48343/page-5#post-1975142

I'm excite. I'll take best of the 500-euro class.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #582 of 704
I thought this was interesting. OAE1 graph compared to the Audeze MM-500 and LCD-5.

VU1TSEsUS3CInK1qZFiP_Drop-Grell-OAE1-Signature-Frequency-Response-(alone).jpg

graph (1).png

graph (2).png

Maybe not such a strange frequency response after all!

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing either, and I belive they're somewhat divisive (with some finding them too dark), but they certainly have passionate fans

Graph credits:

https://listener.squig.link/?share=Audeze_MM_500

https://sai.squig.link/?share=LCD-5
I am not an acoustic engineer, but I have my 2 cents, most other headphones probably have longer spectral decays compared to OAE-1 due to lingering resonances and specifically in the lower frequencies, and thus the lower frequencies probably mask the higher frequencies less in case of the OAE-1 when compared to other headphones, so may be for that reason a dip in the OAE -1 is not as detrimental as it may seem ? As I said not an acoustic engineer here .....

May 14, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #584 of 704
BTW does anyone know what was the volume level while plotting this graph , want to compare against the graph of HD 800S available at other places.
I'm not sure if you will be able to compare it to other HD800s distortion graphs, definitely not in direct comparison.
I've not seen any distortion profile of HD800s made on BK5128, the ones I saw were made using GRASS rigs, so not really apples to apples comparison.

Having said that, I really don't see a problem with distortion on the OAE1. Seems to be well behaved even in the bass considering that it has bass boost. Not SOTA (not that is always has to be), but really nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #585 of 704
I'm not sure if you will be able to compare it to other HD800s distortion graphs, definitely not in direct comparison.
I've not seen any distortion profile of HD800s made on BK5128, the ones I saw were made using GRASS rigs, so not really apples to apples comparison.

Having said that, I really don't see a problem with distortion on the OAE1. Seems to be well behaved even in the bass considering that it has bass boost. Not SOTA (not that is always has to be), but really nothing to worry about.
What stands out to me about the distortion graphs is how low distortion is when you're out of the bass and into the mids and beyond.

Given the bass shelf already present, I'm mostly concerned with EQing upper mids (ear gain) and treble, if it sounds dark or recessed. From a distortion POV at least, doesn't seem like EQing in those regions would cause any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back