Awesome or Gimmick ? Sonys MDR-1ADAC
Oct 21, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #76 of 172
I'm actually pretty interested in these, as I've heard good things about their sound quality, and really wonder if their DAC is better than the little one in my Galaxy S6, which I use daily for music listening.  BUT I've also heard that the Galaxy S6 does not allow USB music output, so they would work since they attach to the micro USB, not the headphone out.  Has anyone heard this about current Android phones, audio output on USB disabled?

Thanks for any input, I'm currently searching more new headphones.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #77 of 172
They are very very good and they work plugged in to PC, iPhone, Android and Raspberry Pi2.

I posted a review > http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1adac/reviews/14368

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #79 of 172
I tried 1ADAC in a store. I feel volume is too low. I am not sure if its anything to do with EU volume limit (Germany)

I turned volume knob to max and even in my iphone but still volume felt too low that I could not judge sound quality

Did anyone experience the same?

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #80 of 172
  I tried 1ADAC in a store. I feel volume is too low. I am not sure if its anything to do with EU volume limit (Germany)

I turned volume knob to max and even in my iphone but still volume felt too low that I could not judge sound quality

Definitely not the problem here in Australia, they can become boarder line painful at maximum volume.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #81 of 172
I wonder how they perform against their only competition, the Philips Fidelio M2L?

I bought both from Amazon at the same time. The Fidelio went back the next day. No amp. Not comparable cans.

I tried the ADAC out of the box. They had SOME power. I was underwhelmed and concerned about their performance... and yes, the volume was crazy low. Ugh.

Definitely not the problem here in Australia, they can become boarder line painful at maximum volume.

So I fully powered them.

A whole new world. Stunning.

I still find the amp underwhelming, and could use a bit more volume output, but the DAC is stellar.

I'll be writing a full review of these cans soon.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #82 of 172
  BUT I've also heard that the Galaxy S6 does not allow USB music output, so they would work since they attach to the micro USB, not the headphone out.  Has anyone heard this about current Android phones, audio output on USB disabled?

My Galaxy S6 (and Tab S2) have no problem sending USB audio to various DACs. The S5 and OnePlus One have no problems either.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #84 of 172
I have walkman A17 +mdr-1A with MUS-S12SM1 cable for over a year now. The A17 is filled with loss-less flac files and some hi-res audio.
Last week I went to a sony store and tried an 1adac with my xperia z5p. Although I only have 256kpbs ACC in my cell-phone, 1adac has impressed me a lot with its tight bass and clear sound stage. After a short while I made the decision to purchase a silver 1adac and a 64GB micro-SD to equip my z5p for commute/office usage. I really like 1adac more than A17+1a.

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #85 of 172
I have them, they are an expensive gimmick. The base is so loud that it overpowers everything else. The jack in is proprietary so even if you find a wire with included mic you can't use it. I will be returning them. the volume however, using it through USB is loud, i can't turn it up to 100. I did not use them with a jack yet, because they are supposed to be even worst.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #86 of 172
To each her own, but I can't say I agree with the above assessment. However, there are priority headphone choices over the MDR 1ADAC; these are a tertiary headphone for use with tablets, etc, where a real portable chain setup might be inconveniently bulky, or a hassle for quick setup and use.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #87 of 172
I'm not saying they are bad, i'm saying that for this price, you should be getting at least an in-line mic. At this price point you can get better Audio Technica or [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Sennheiser [/color]headphones + a separate DAC and AMP that would be better.

Apr 1, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #88 of 172
I'm not saying they are bad, i'm saying that for this price, you should be getting at least an in-line mic. At this price point you can get better Audio Technica or Sennheiser headphones + a separate DAC and AMP that would be better.

And you are completely correct in pointing this out; it's the truth. One should definitely not buy these as primary headphones. For this price you can get the Fostex TH-X00 off of Massdrop, which are superior in every way (still no inline mic though; few head-fiers care about the mic).

If you want a mic on a stellar headphone for around the MDR1ADAC price, grab the on-ear t51i from beyerdynamic.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #89 of 172
  I have them, they are an expensive gimmick. The base is so loud that it overpowers everything else. The jack in is proprietary so even if you find a wire with included mic you can't use it. I will be returning them. the volume however, using it through USB is loud, i can't turn it up to 100. I did not use them with a jack yet, because they are supposed to be even worst.

I don't think the bass is loud at all. I think the headphones sounds decent, but are nowhere close to using the same headphones plugged in to a NW-ZX2. They're great for when you don't want to carry anything else apart from your phone though. 

Strictly speaking the input jack isn't proprietary, it's a 3.5mm plug with a small body. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #90 of 172
the other side is a 3.5mm plug with a small body, the side that goes into the headphones - i have yet to find an audio cable that thin, please let me know if you find one ....
And after listening to audio technica msr7, that have crystal clear mids and highs, and Sh Momentum 2 which have a bit more base but less mids, MDR-1ADAC have allot more base, but when listening to music, the base and highs are overwhelming voices, to a point where you can barely understand them... the voices no longer sound melodic..
I have been using them only through Digital, not through jack, because that is how they advertise they should be used. Unfortunately i will be returning them.

Again this is my subjective opinion, please don't take it as reference. I love a well rounded and detailed base, and even that shaking rumble i hear on SpeedLink Medusa Nx 5.1, but i also like to distinguish that piano in the background, and differentiate between different kinds of base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back